Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43042 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #10636
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Mixed lighting and underexposed frames are tricky, but not because of the scanner.
Yep, the color temperature of the scanner illumination is what it is. There is no mixed source on a scan.

Steve

12-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #10637
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Two of my guns:

Colt 1860 Richards conversion and Smith & Wesson model 3 Schofield, both replica made by Uberti. Shot with my LX, 50 mm f1.4 and Portra 160.

Apologies for the imperfect composition but I shot in a hurry, still I like how the film captured the blue and nickel finish of the metal and the walnut of the grips.
Nice colors indeed.
12-24-2014, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #10638
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote

---------- Post added 12-24-14 at 11:14 AM ----------

[/COLOR]

So do they call you the "Schofield Kid" because you have a Smith & Wesson Schofield . . . from the movie Unforgiven.

If you mean imperfect due to the rotation angle then I think it adds to the picture. Perhaps a little bit more even and I think you have room to spare for cropping.

---------- Post added 12-24-14 at 11:49 AM ----------

Uberti - An Italian company that makes replica guns of the Old West. There must be a tie-in to the Spaghetti westerns . . .
Great pics...especially the hot rodded Mustang with counter-rotating props...

For me,well, I'm too old to be called "kid", but everybody loves that gun, the first time I went to the range with it a small crowd of people gathered behind my line, they all wanted to see that gun, many of them were familiar with the S&W Russian but the Schofield is little known. I also wanted to add a pair of mammoth ivory grips but now I realise the stock walnut set is also very good looking.

Uberti...yes that used to be a small Italian company that started with a machinist (Mr.Uberti) that liked the books from the Old West (like many Italians of his generation) and started to make replicas of old ball and cap Colt in the 50s because nobody in the US produced them. And yes, he was a good friend of Sergio Leone and supplied all the weapons in his movies, he was also master of arms on the set. He died before I could meet him but I'm a good friend of Mr.Merlo (the current CEO) and all his men and women. Now they have been incorporated in Beretta and they reside in building in the Beretta 2 complex in Voltrompia, they do have a FANTASTIC showroom with a bronze torso of Custer, a lot of autographed pictures of the various actors who played some role in the Spaghetti movies (and used their guns), they also make replicas of the famous "1 in a thousand" winchester of the famous "Winchester 73" movie, the replica of the Model 3 Russian S&W gave to the tsar in 1878 etc...in short for me it's like going in a candy store. They also make me very good discounts and in the end I've five revolvers from them, the only "modern" firearm I have is a Mateba Unica, but that's another story (and another picture...soon).

OK I cut the "Firearms p0rn" OT and I add another funny pic I've taken here with the LX, I kinda like it.

This is a more traditional sculpture outside a car museum:

Boring landscape on a winter afternoon in Northern Italy...but I like the colours.

Bokeh study with 85 mm f2.0...it's interesting to see how the blue lamp is fine when the background is a building but its top against the sky results underexposed, in the same pic.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 12-24-2014 at 03:30 PM.
12-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #10639
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bokeh study with 85 mm f2.0...it's interesting to see how the blue lamp is fine when the background is a building but its top against the sky results underexposed, in the same pic.
That is weird. Almost as if there was a different exposure setting for the sky.

12-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #10640
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
That is weird. Almost as if there was a different exposure setting for the sky.
Nothing weird in that shot.. notice how the blue lamp surface is angled in the well exposed part - facing in many parts the sky - that is giving it an edge on reflectivity. It also appears to be painted with different kind of paint... slightly brighter at places.The top part is manly a straight and rather perpendicular to the sky - and notice how those few angled areas are better exposed.

Last edited by manntax; 12-24-2014 at 06:28 PM.
12-24-2014, 06:15 PM - 3 Likes   #10641

Two shots taken two days ago on a walk-around in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, with the P30N and 50 A1.7.
Attached Images

12-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #10642
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skism Quote
Two shots taken two days ago on a walk-around in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, with the P30N and 50 A1.7.
Great shots - the tonality is particularly interesting - What film if may I ask ?

12-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #10643

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Great shots - the tonality is particularly interesting - What film if may I ask ?

Thanks. It wasn't anything special - just Kodak Ultramax 400. I added a bit of contrast and clarity in lightroom but that was it. A few weeks ago I treated myself to a decent scanner for negatives, and that has renewed my desire to shoot mostly film for a while. There really is something about waiting to see what you got that is an anecdote to these times. Happy holidays.
12-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #10644
Veteran Member

Thanks. It wasn't anything special - just Kodak Ultramax 400. I added a bit of contrast and clarity in lightroom but that was it. A few weeks ago I treated myself to a decent scanner for negatives, and that has renewed my desire to shoot mostly film for a while. There really is something about waiting to see what you got that is an anecdote to these times. Happy holidays.
Great results - thanks!
12-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #10645
Pentaxian

Great pics...especially the hot rodded Mustang with counter-rotating props...

For me,well, I'm too old to be called "kid", but everybody loves that gun, the first time I went to the range with it a small crowd of people gathered behind my line, they all wanted to see that gun, many of them were familiar with the S&W Russian but the Schofield is little known. I also wanted to add a pair of mammoth ivory grips but now I realise the stock walnut set is also very good looking.

Uberti...yes that used to be a small Italian company that started with a machinist (Mr.Uberti) that liked the books from the Old West (like many Italians of his generation) and started to make replicas of old ball and cap Colt in the 50s because nobody in the US produced them. And yes, he was a good friend of Sergio Leone and supplied all the weapons in his movies, he was also master of arms on the set. He died before I could meet him but I'm a good friend of Mr.Merlo (the current CEO) and all his men and women. Now they have been incorporated in Beretta and they reside in building in the Beretta 2 complex in Voltrompia, they do have a FANTASTIC showroom with a bronze torso of Custer, a lot of autographed pictures of the various actors who played some role in the Spaghetti movies (and used their guns), they also make replicas of the famous "1 in a thousand" winchester of the famous "Winchester 73" movie, the replica of the Model 3 Russian S&W gave to the tsar in 1878 etc...in short for me it's like going in a candy store. They also make me very good discounts and in the end I've five revolvers from them, the only "modern" firearm I have is a Mateba Unica, but that's another story (and another picture...soon).

OK I cut the "Firearms p0rn" OT and I add another funny pic I've taken here with the LX, I kinda like it.

This is a more traditional sculpture outside a car museum:

Boring landscape on a winter afternoon in Northern Italy...but I like the colours.

Thanks and also thanks for the background on Uberti!

Beautiful scenery, well captured. BTW, what film was used?

---------- Post added 12-25-14 at 12:29 AM ----------

Very well scene and executed especially from the much maligned Ultramax.
12-25-2014, 03:12 AM   #10646

Kiev again with the bw400cn

12-25-2014, 05:20 AM   #10647
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Thanks and also thanks for the background on Uberti!

Beautiful scenery, well captured. BTW, what film was used?

---------- Post added 12-25-14 at 12:29 AM ----------

Very well scene and executed especially from the much maligned Ultramax.
All shots come from the last Portra160 roll I shot to check out if I had solved the focusing problem on the LX, some shots were taken in the UK, others in ITaly.

For the Ultramax or better the Kodak Gold 400 I used it twice and it was very good with blue shades but not so much with other colours, I would like to see the pics without contrast adjustment otherwise it's hard to say it the merits are to accounted to the film.

---------- Post added 12-25-14 at 05:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Nothing weird in that shot.. notice how the blue lamp surface is angled in the well exposed part - facing in many parts the sky - that is giving it an edge on reflectivity. It also appears to be painted with different kind of paint... slightly brighter at places.The top part is manly a straight and rather perpendicular to the sky - and notice how those few angled areas are better exposed.
The paint is the same, a bright blue, I find it interesting that the exposure changes inside the the same shot...if I recall correctly I shot it with the LX in "auto" mode.

The same paint of this bridge:

Unfortunately there is some sort of "halo" in the middle of the shot that ruined it.

---------- Post added 12-25-14 at 05:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by EJMzagsfan Quote
Kiev again with the bw400cn

Nice shot, which Kiev? There are many models.
12-25-2014, 06:55 AM   #10648
Veteran Member

The paint is the same, a bright blue, I find it interesting that the exposure changes inside the the same shot...if I recall correctly I shot it with the LX in "auto" mode. The same paint of this bridge:
Interesting.. my theory is perhaps the sun, the atmospheric pollution or rain acidity is changing the pain in a different way depends on how the surface pained is angled towards these elements, but I clearly can see that the colour reflectivity is simple different - I bet you could see that with your eyes too.

Also the angle of these ropes is about 45 degree so that means the light hitting them is going straight towards the camera and lens, where the bridge bars are perpendicular to the sky and so the light from that overcast sky is barely hitting them - hence darker appearance on your photo.
12-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #10649
Pentaxian

Another film I don't see much of is Kodak Supra - ISO 100 negative. I got a couple of rolls from an acquaintance in Europe and judging from the results looks like a very nice film. I wonder if it is just a renamed version of one available in the US? It is sharp and very fine grained with very easy to work with color palette and contrast.

12-25-2014, 04:12 PM - 3 Likes   #10650

couple of days ago i decided that i will start developing b&w films
i went shopping and i got all: developer, fixer, kaiser tank, clips....and b&w films
so today i went out with my first ever b&w film. i got home and prepared everything for "the process".
i made my bathroom lightproof and started... what a rush of adrenaline
after the film was in the tank i turned on the light. temperature of developer&fixer was ~20C and i turned on stopwatch...
me against time
after developing i was little scared to look at the film but when i looked i was amazed thinking i did it!!!
after the film was dry i started the scanning i was happy with results.
and i hope you will like it!

Pentacon Six + Sonnar 180 + Fomapan 200

Pentacon Six + Mir26b + Fomapan 200