Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #10891
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I'm assuming you're leaving the copier's bellows clipped into its retracted position as well. Which is interesting, if so, because it is locating your subject very close to your lens.
That is right, it just happens to work out well that way. To stop the slide holder flopping on its bellows while in the locked position, I brace it with sticky tape. This macro 35mm LTD is a lens worth getting; it is cheaper than the 15mm for example.

02-27-2015, 07:28 PM   #10892
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
You can do your own if you have a macro lens and a slide duplicator attachment. I clip mine straight on the end of my 35mm LTD as it is only about 3" long. In daylight, just point it at a bright area and shoot. More details if you want. Here is one I just did that way with the K5
All good for 135mm, but I have a problem with APS as (unless I pull the film out of the system canister) the film is enclosed, even when developed!

Hey Arnold, I for one would like very much to read about how you do your slide duplicating. I've been doing it for a few years now. Got started with a 10.1mp EOS DSLR, which did a good job, but I decided after a while to hold off until I got a camera with more resolution. Now I have one -- a Sony NEX 7 with 24.3mp, which gives 4000 pix on the vertical, same as a Nikon CoolScan scanner that costs thousands.

To get my slides to fill the frame as much as possible, I've been using an old Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 with about 25mm of extension. To the front of the lens, I have mounted the shell of a digital slide duplicator I bought, then dismantled. So I have a slide carrier that slides onto the front flange of this duplicator tube, plus I also have a roll film stage that I can also slide onto the tube, and I use this for unmounted slides as well as negatives. Here's a shot of v1.0 of my setup. V2.0 is now set to use a Nikon to NEX adapter. The adapter shown in the following photo is a Nikon to EOS adapter.

And here are a few slides I duped with this rig, using my NEX 7:

(Please ignore the dust and the spot on the sensor I managed to miss)
Interesting setup. I'm kicking myself now as I had that portion of a slide copier, then got rid of it.

It seems you are doing alright, anyway here is my operation. Screw an adapter ring (from a rubber lens hood) onto the filter (49mm) threads of the LTD 35mm macro. Lock the slide copier onto the lens. The distance works out for filling the frame. I then turn off shake reduction, and select manual drive and manual focus. The latter is an option. select aperture and adjust speed to get proper exposure. Slow speeds don't matter as the slide is connected to the lens. A bright sky helps bring out dark slides.

---------- Post added 27-02-15 at 16:39 ----------

The guy in the doorway makes this.
Again, very informative, may give this a go. Have either of you tried larger than 135mm format?

Edit: I should mention that I am lucky enough to have picked up the last model Konica-Minolta Dimage 5400 II. It is capable of excellent results.
02-27-2015, 09:50 PM   #10893
Veteran Member

Yes, I've heard good things about the K-M Dimage. Will it do medium format? That's the only weakness with my setup presently is not being able to do MF easily.

However, I have a light box I built for viewing slides. One face of the box is translucent white plastic and inside the box is two fluorescent light strips. What I've been thinking about doing is taping my medium format negatives and slides to the translucent face of my lightbox, then shooting dupes with my NEX on a tripod -- or maybe a copy stand if I can get things positioned correctly. My only concern is having to use fluorescents. I can open the box up, though, and maybe set up a flash to use instead.

I would like to do this so I can compare these sorts of dupes against the scans I'm currently getting for medium format with my Epson scanner. If they're better, then I'll just try and rig up a decent way to do it. If the Epson scans come out good enough, though, I'm not gonna worry about it -- I'll just keep using my Epson.
02-27-2015, 11:09 PM   #10894
Veteran Member

This image.... And everything else subsequently, from your office?

God, is that you? LoL!

From my Kodachrome files c1977. Pentax MX, M50/1.7
View from my office.

02-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #10895

Pentax Spotmatic
Helios 58mm f2
Tudorcolor xlx 200

03-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #10896
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I've heard good things about the K-M Dimage. Will it do medium format? That's the only weakness with my setup presently is not being able to do MF easily.

However, I have a light box I built for viewing slides. One face of the box is translucent white plastic and inside the box is two fluorescent light strips. What I've been thinking about doing is taping my medium format negatives and slides to the translucent face of my lightbox, then shooting dupes with my NEX on a tripod -- or maybe a copy stand if I can get things positioned correctly. My only concern is having to use fluorescents. I can open the box up, though, and maybe set up a flash to use instead.

I would like to do this so I can compare these sorts of dupes against the scans I'm currently getting for medium format with my Epson scanner. If they're better, then I'll just try and rig up a decent way to do it. If the Epson scans come out good enough, though, I'm not gonna worry about it -- I'll just keep using my Epson.
No, unfortunately, the K-M scanner I have won't do MF. I would like to look into the multi-model that they made. I am currently using a 4490 Epson with the older (non-led) light source for MF. It is OK, but honestly, I've seen some amazing results with photoscanning using a camera. The key beauty of that process is that you produce RAWs (~30MB), rather than 80-150mb TIFFs.

I'm guessing that with bellows and a suitable camera, you can duplicate med. format slides using the method you have outlined.

My only concern is the current price of bellows units (especially for me, given I already have scanners capable of doing the work).
03-01-2015, 09:10 AM   #10897
Veteran Member

Clarkey, yeah, using a medium format bellows will definitely raise the price. And you have to have a camera to fit the bellows, too. To dupe medium format slides or negatives with a bellows, you'll need a slide copier attachment made for those bellows. I've seen bellows to fit my Bronica ETRSi (6x4.5) that sell on eBay for $185 and up. Currently there is one set of bellows for the Pentax 67 on eBay. The seller is asking a whopping $700 for it. But neither of these bellows units come with slide attachments. So bellows might not even be an option with medium format. I think the reason why you don't see slide duplicator attachments with MF bellows is because most of us just have the slides developed unmounted. I've only had mounted MF slides developed once. The resulting mounted slides were too clumsy to be used anywhere so i just said, "no more." So, taping them down or similar is the best way to go, IMO.

One thing I didn't mention in my above comments about doing digital dupes is I set my 55mm Micro Nikkor to f/8 for the dupes. I want some depth of field to eliminate any possible bit of out-of-focus areas due to the slight curvature of the negative or the slide.

Last edited by cooltouch; 03-01-2015 at 09:35 AM.
03-02-2015, 09:43 PM   #10898
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[IMG]
Pentax LX M50/1.4 Kodak Ektar No PP at all. About 20 seconds.
03-03-2015, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #10899
Pentaxian

Portra 400 in my MZ-5N

Portra 400 003a
by Jonathan_in_Madrid, on Flickr

Portra 400 001a
03-03-2015, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #10900

Got a roll of Ektar 35mm back last week, hooray for new photos

All three shots were made with an ME Super + K55 1.8

03-03-2015, 05:41 AM   #10901
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax ME + M50/1.7 on expired Kodak Max 400, processed & scanned at Walgreens. A bit of light leakage along the right side of the frame, so I need to re-do the seals (again).
03-03-2015, 06:51 AM   #10902
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lauke_101 Quote
Got a roll of Ektar 35mm back last week, hooray for new photos
Great subject for Ektar -- fantastic color!
03-03-2015, 06:58 AM   #10903

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Great subject for Ektar -- fantastic color!
Thanks a bunch! I really like these as well
They're so colorful and sharp, they almost look like digital shots.

I have more photos coming up from the same roll, different subjects though.
03-03-2015, 03:51 PM - 6 Likes   #10904
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[IMG]
LX M50/1.4 Ektar100
03-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #10905
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Portra 400 in my MZ-5N

Portra 400 003a

Portra 400 001a
Nice series!

Vicente Calderón Stadium & Atletico Madrid?

Phil.