Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wuzet Quote
P67, Fuji Provia 100F
Beauty, well done!

Phil.

---------- Post added 06-06-15 at 08:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Back in about 1984 or so I bought a new Yashica Mat 124G. At the time, it was regarded as the best way to get into medium format for somebody on a budget. The 124G sold new at discount stores for right about $150, and that's what I paid for mine. I bought it at Frank's Camera in Highland Park, California. They were a big discount dealer.

I was very impressed with that camera. I shot mostly black and white with it, but I also shot some color slides and negative film with it as well. Then in about 1989, I bought a Rolleiflex 3.5 mx/evs model with the Schneider Xenar lens (a Tessar type) and I didn't see much point in owning the Yashica Mat anymore so I sold it. Well, as misfortune would have it, I ended up selling the Rolleiflex during times of too much gear and not enough money. Got quite a bit more for it than I expected, so at least it had been a good investment. Then about five years ago, I started getting the itch for medium format again and decided, once again, the most economical way to enter the format would probably be a Yashica TLR. So I did my research and then I just waited. I'd decided that I wanted another 124, but not the "G" model. And finally I found one on eBay. It was an auction and I won it for right at $100. The camera ended up being very clean, so I was happy. And I'll tell you what, I like the 124 a lot better than the 124G. They're basically the same camera, but the 124 doesn't have the sort of cheap plastic feel to it that the 124G has. It's made from solid metal. I wasn't disappointed with the quality of the images it produced, either. They were excellent.

Yashica 124. I don't recall the film I used for this shot. It was negative film, which is all I remember about it.

Hawker Sea Fury. Taken probably in 1984 or 1985. Yashica Mat 124G, Tri-X.

Side view of a Hawker Sea Fury. Same date as above. Yashica Mat 124G, Tri-X

AT-6 Texan Trainer. Close-up of the spinner. Try as I might, I couldn't figure out how to stay out of the shot. Yashica Mat 124G, Tri-X. Approximately same dates as above.

The Queen Mary, after being converted into a Hilton Hotel. 1985. It was a hazy day that day, but I think the photo still worked. Yashica Mat 124G, Fujichrome 100

A self portrait, circa 1990. Our cat Smokey joined me for this shot. Rolleiflex 2.8C with Schneider Xenotar lens. I loved this camera, but it was inventory. There was just a certain quality about the lens that I really liked a lot. Tri-X.

P-51D Mustang, "Mangia Pane" (eats bread), Yashica Mat 124G, Tri-X

Profile of Mangia Pane, Yashica Mat 124G, Tri-X

Fishing boats at Moro Bay, California. Circa 1984, Yashica Mat 124G, Tri-X

Well, I thought I had more shots taken from my 124 up at my website than I did. Same goes for my old Rolleiflex mx/evs I guess they're all located on my desktop hard drive that crashed a few months ago. Fortunately the images are not lost -- they just need to be rescanned. One BIG reason why I still prefer film over digital. It's so much easier and safer to archive than digital is.
Really like the last boat shot and of course anything with a cat in it!

Phil.
06-06-2015, 09:52 AM - 2 Likes   #11373
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Rolleiflex 3.5F
Schneider Kreuznach Xenotar 75/3.5
Expired Kodak Portra 400UC
Epson V500
06-06-2015, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #11374
Veteran Member

Thanks Phil.
More from Provia 100F.

06-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #11375

alan_smithee_photos, your photos look great! The colour and tonality are superb, as well as the portraits itselves.
Were your photographs shot with a studio light or was it just the light from windows? It's also interesting how you scanned your images. As I have already written several times, the coulors are just phenomenal! One can clearly notice very faint colour and tonal rendition.

Colton, thank you for your examples of Triplet and Tessar type lenses. As edmundrt says, the Yashica's Triplets are very good but I liked the Tessar look better. So I think that my first ever MF camera will be a Yashica Mat with a Yashinon 3,5.

Cooltouch, you shared very interesting thoughts on 124 vs 124G comparison. (I can't see your images in your post #11370.)

What will you say about the Yashica-Mat EM? It has a Yashinon 80/3.5 lens that must be of a Tessar type. I found an offer which is only $50 worth.
06-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #11376
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
Cooltouch, you shared very interesting thoughts on 124 vs 124G comparison. (I can't see your images in your post #11370.)

What will you say about the Yashica-Mat EM? It has a Yashinon 80/3.5 lens that must be of a Tessar type. I found an offer which is only $50 worth.
Strange why you're not seeing the images. I just checked again, and I see them just fine in my browser.

I believe "EM" stands for "electronic meter" and, if I recall correctly, this was Yashica's first TLR with a meter. Since it has the Yashinon, I'd have to say that it should be a great picture-taker. And yes $50 is an excellent price for it if it is in good condition, especially if the meter works. Even more especially if the meter is accurate.
06-06-2015, 06:40 PM   #11377
Veteran Member

Colton, thank you for your examples of Triplet and Tessar type lenses. As edmundrt says, the Yashica's Triplets are very good but I liked the Tessar look better. So I think that my first ever MF camera will be a Yashica Mat with a Yashinon 3,5.
FWIW, those examples were from a Triplet and a Xenotar, not a Tessar.
The Tessar type lens is probably the best bang for buck in TLRs, so a Yashinon equipped EM would be a great camera.

06-07-2015, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #11378
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd add a mention of the Minolta Autocord - a really nice camera, I prefer mine to the 124G...

Though the prices have gone up, the Ricoh Diacord has a great lens - I have the meterless model, which I prefer - and though it lacks auto shutter cocking, you get easy double exposures in exchange. A really nice lower price alternative to the Yashicas

06-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #11379
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyCorPhotography Quote
I don't have a Pentax 35mm SLR, but I took this photo of my dog with my Minolta Maxxum STsi...
That is OK. This thread is "brand agnostic".

Steve
06-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #11380
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

but her photographs have so much "3D-effect" from the technical point of view.
I would also like to get similar effect in my photographs.
Much of that is due to the DOF characteristics of medium format. Even at narrower apertures it is easy to get good subject isolation.

Steve
06-07-2015, 08:19 AM   #11381
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
The Queen Mary, after being converted into a Hilton Hotel. 1985. It was a hazy day that day, but I think the photo still worked. Yashica Mat 124G, Fujichrome 100
Oh, yeah...the photo definitely works!

Steve
06-07-2015, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #11382
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This thread continues to amaze me with both the quality and variety of work posted here. Many thanks to Javier who started the thread so many years back. BTW, I exchanged e-mails with Javier recently. He is doing well, but is not shooting film or Pentax much anymore.

Steve
06-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #11383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
'd add a mention of the Minolta Autocord - a really nice camera, I prefer mine to the 124G...
Nice set!

Phil.
06-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #11384
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This thread continues to amaze me with both the quality and variety of work posted here. Many thanks to Javier who started the thread so many years back. BTW, I exchanged e-mails with Javier recently. He is doing well, but is not shooting film or Pentax much anymore.

Steve
It's good to hear that Javier is doing well.
06-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #11385
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I'd add a mention of the Minolta Autocord - a really nice camera, I prefer mine to the 124G...
I agree about the Minolta Autocord.
I just recently acquired one, and it's a great camera. I think that the Rokkor and Yashinon are comparable lenses, but the Minolta seems a finer camera.
The Diacord looks very similar to the Minolta.