Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43137 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2015, 09:54 AM - 3 Likes   #11386

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
Lomo 800 is my go-to color neg film for natural light indoors. Sometimes it has this wonderful painterly effect:

For the money, I don't think you can beat it.
That's a nice example of said effect. I had the same impression with some of the shots on my roll. At first I thought that 800 was an odd ISO for me to shoot with, but I guess I'll give it a few more tries.

This one also looks almost painted to me. MZ-5, Zenitar 16mm and Lomo 800, same place as the earlier shot, but not that much going on. Had my troubles with balancing shadows and the light from the window when scanning. Amazing what's all there on the negative, but really hard to make it come out right while scanning.

Also, that could be my finger in the lower left corner. Really easy to get it in the shot with that lens.

Attached Images

06-07-2015, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #11387
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This thread continues to amaze me with both the quality and variety of work posted here. Many thanks to Javier who started the thread so many years back. BTW, I exchanged e-mails with Javier recently. He is doing well, but is not shooting film or Pentax much anymore.
You should encourage him to come on back here, have a look around, and say "Hi!" I'll bet he'll get a kick out of some 760 pages that have been created based on his simple suggestion.
06-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #11388
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
You should encourage him to come on back here, have a look around, and say "Hi!" I'll bet he'll get a kick out of some 760 pages that have been created based on his simple suggestion.
I will do that!
06-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #11389
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is OK. This thread is "brand agnostic".

Steve
Good news is I finally did pick up a K1000 yesterday!!! I'm really excited to use it.

06-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #11390
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
alan_smithee_photos, your photos look great! The colour and tonality are superb, as well as the portraits itselves.
Were your photographs shot with a studio light or was it just the light from windows? It's also interesting how you scanned your images. As I have already written several times, the coulors are just phenomenal! One can clearly notice very faint colour and tonal rendition.
Thx! All of those photos are withe naturalnatural light (as is pretty much everything I shoot).

Another camera worth looking at is the fuji GA645. It's like a giant point and shoot (with an awesome lens). I was scared of all the fiddly film magazine stuff with MF so I went with the Fuji to dip my toe in. Still love that's camera.
06-07-2015, 01:59 PM   #11391
Veteran Member

The Fuji GA645 is a wonderful camera. I'll look forward to seeing pics from it.
06-07-2015, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #11392
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CineStill 50 using Super A and A50/1.7

In certain lighting conditions this film almost reminds me of Kodachrome!

Impressive but not for everyday use and I believe only available on a temporary basis.

Phil.

06-07-2015, 07:04 PM - 3 Likes   #11393
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thx! All of those photos are withe naturalnatural light (as is pretty much everything I shoot).

Another camera worth looking at is the fuji GA645. It's like a giant point and shoot (with an awesome lens). I was scared of all the fiddly film magazine stuff with MF so I went with the Fuji to dip my toe in. Still love that's camera.
The Fuji GA645 is a wonderful camera. I'll look forward to seeing pics from it.
I miss mine. Even with the current X series cameras (which I also love). Three I don't think I have posted in this thread (apologies, if so).

Crater lake
by Aaron, on Flickr

Power
by Aaron, on Flickr

Blue Mosque
by Aaron, on Flickr

Sculpture wall
by Aaron, on Flickr

---------- Post added 06-07-2015 at 10:40 PM ----------

Seems like I am bombing the thread, but I have been experimenting with a home-made slide copier (and 50mm minolta/extension tubes) and my X-E1. Lovely to be able to play with "scans" in raw. Still a little soft though (which may be lens specific!).

MZ-5n and FA28-200mm.

A long way from here
by Aaron, on Flickr

30km/h
by Aaron, on Flickr
06-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #11394
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I agree about the Minolta Autocord.
I just recently acquired one, and it's a great camera. I think that the Rokkor and Yashinon are comparable lenses, but the Minolta seems a finer camera.
The Diacord looks very similar to the Minolta.
l

You're the second guy now that I've heard say this. There was another fellow over at mflenses.com who told me that he actually thought the Autocord was a better performer optically than both the Yashica Mat 124 with its Yashinon and the Rolleiflex with its Tessar. And he also commented on the camera's build quality as being quite high. This got me intrigued, but whenever I looked for one on eBay they were selling for major bucks. Especially the ones with meters. They were selling for Rollei F prices and more. Whew! I just took another look at Autocords over there. Yikes! Prices ranging from $135 to $1800. My problem is, I don't know which of the cheaper ones are worth buying. So, I've just kept plugging along with my Yashica Mat 124, and I've been very pleased with the results.
06-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #11395
Veteran Member

l

You're the second guy now that I've heard say this. There was another fellow over at mflenses.com who told me that he actually thought the Autocord was a better performer optically than both the Yashica Mat 124 with its Yashinon and the Rolleiflex with its Tessar. And he also commented on the camera's build quality as being quite high. This got me intrigued, but whenever I looked for one on eBay they were selling for major bucks. Especially the ones with meters. They were selling for Rollei F prices and more. Whew! I just took another look at Autocords over there. Yikes! Prices ranging from $135 to $1800. My problem is, I don't know which of the cheaper ones are worth buying. So, I've just kept plugging along with my Yashica Mat 124, and I've been very pleased with the results.
I really think it's a toss up between the Rokkor and Yashinon. They're both great lenses.
Now a Schneider Xenotar... that's another story
06-07-2015, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #11396

I wonder if the k-3ii, with its pixel shift technology, will work well as a slide/negative copier.
06-08-2015, 12:43 AM - 4 Likes   #11397
Veteran Member

So I used a roll of 120 that did not want to properly wind on to the second spool. So I got this crazy looking image.

06-08-2015, 05:40 AM   #11398

QuoteOriginally posted by wuzet Quote
Thanks Phil.
More from Provia 100F.
Good photos! What camera did you use?

Strange why you're not seeing the images. I just checked again, and I see them just fine in my browser.
I believe "EM" stands for "electronic meter" and, if I recall correctly, this was Yashica's first TLR with a meter. Since it has the Yashinon, I'd have to say that it should be a great picture-taker. And yes $50 is an excellent price for it if it is in good condition, especially if the meter works. Even more especially if the meter is accurate.
It's really strange because I can see your photos on my mobile phone.

As for the Yashica Mat EM, it turned out that its shutter isn't working properly. That was the reason of such a small price in spite of the very good looks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
FWIW, those examples were from a Triplet and a Xenotar, not a Tessar.
The Tessar type lens is probably the best bang for buck in TLRs, so a Yashinon equipped EM would be a great camera.
It was my miswriting, I got it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I'd add a mention of the Minolta Autocord - a really nice camera, I prefer mine to the 124G...
Though the prices have gone up, the Ricoh Diacord has a great lens - I have the meterless model, which I prefer - and though it lacks auto shutter cocking, you get easy double exposures in exchange. A really nice lower price alternative to the Yashicas
Thank you, I'll take a look at these cameras too.

---------- Post added 06-08-15 at 04:04 PM ----------

I have heard about GA645 before but it's widest aperture of f4.0 isn't appealing to me.
You also missed to mention your scanning technique

QuoteOriginally posted by AtitG Quote
I wonder if the k-3ii, with its pixel shift technology, will work well as a slide/negative copier.
Yes, it'll be be very interesting to find it out.
06-08-2015, 08:11 AM - 2 Likes   #11399
Pentaxian

Going through my film shots. A few others:

Flexaret Va. Kodak Ektar 100.

6x7 & S-M-C Tak/6x7 105/2.4. Porta 800:

Spotmatic & Helios-44-2. Ektar 100:
06-08-2015, 08:44 AM - 4 Likes   #11400
Veteran Member

Speaking of the Minolta Autocord...

Minolta Autocord