08-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #11731
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Seafair Parade in Greenwood, WA
Pentax LX
K 50mm 1.2
Portra 160
V750 scan

Nine Yards Brewing Co. in Kenmore WA (a few of my very best friends)
Pentax LX
K 50mm 1.2
Cinestill 800t
V750 scan

Last edited by Eyewanders; 08-18-2015 at 12:18 PM.
08-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #11732
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The first round of pics taken with my new Nokton have been uninspired due to the overcast light and the lack of interesting subjects (BMW rally, mostly borign new cars and tuning parts beyond any good taste), however I would like to share the few interesting shots:

Leica M4-P, Nokton 50mm f1.5, Portra 160...basically sunny 16 rule metered because the leicameter MR-4 is quite useless.

And I know, lens, camera and film deserve better subjects.

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
1) Nope, not hardly. Especially not in the middle of summer. Besides, before I take the old Beemer on an extended road trip, I really need to do a top-end overhaul on her, and I've been a little short on funds for the parts I need for the job. I still have time, though. I was thinking in terms of an autumn or spring trip anyway. Preferably autumn because of all the colors the trees will be turning. Many more nature photo opportunities in the Fall than other times of the year.

2)Close, it's a nice Vacumatic with the same sort of plunger you find on a 51. Black with blue diamond clip, and top and bottom tassies. I'm not familiar with Aurora pens. I collect mostly vintage stuff, the exceptions mostly being a Mont Blanc Meisterstück and a Pelikan 800. I like the Pelikan better than the Mont Blanc. I usually keep my Pelikan inked up, but the Mont Blanc stays in its case in a desk drawer. My favorite pen is a 1938 Parker Canadian Vacumatic with broad stub nib I bought on eBay for about $40 way back in 1998. It makes for a great writer with the broad stub nib. Any wider and it would be a calligrapher's pen.

3) Counting cameras instead of the money you'll need for your holiday, eh? Regretting any purchases? I find that I almost never do.
1) I assume it's very warm in Texas in this part of the year....

2) I have a 61, nice pen when it works, and I'm looking for a nice 51, the problem is that ink is getting hard to find....like film. We share many interest however.

3) My holidays will be home sleeping, I just realised I'm overspending on gear, I bought a Nikon F2A, Canon F-1n, F-1N, Spotties but especially a lot of cool lenses, including two Noktons (a 50mm f1.5 for Leicas and a 58mm f1.4 for Nikon, the Pentax version is impossible to find), yes all cool stuff but perhaps I should take a break a look for better subjects to take pics at.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 08-18-2015 at 02:34 PM.
08-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #11733
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote

1) I assume it's very warm in Texas in this part of the year....

2) I have a 61, nice pen when it works, and I'm looking for a nice 51, the problem is that ink is getting hard to find....like film. We share many interest however.

3) My holidays will be home sleeping, I just realised I'm overspending on gear, I bought a Nikon F2A, Canon F-1n, F-1N, Spotties but especially a lot of cool lenses, including two Noktons (a 50mm f1.5 for Leicas and a 58mm f1.4 for Nikon, the Pentax version is impossible to find), yes all cool stuff but perhaps I should take a break a look for better subjects to take pics at.
1) "Warm" isn't quite the word I'd use. More like hot! Damn hot! 95F today (35C for you metric-minded folks). Feels like 101F with the humidity figured in. I was out in it on my bike earlier, just in time for the clouds to unzip on me. I was drenched, but at least a little cooler. 15 minutes later, the sun was out again, and steam was rising off the streets. Ah Houston -- Cairo West, I call it because the two cities share the same latitude.

2) The 61's a very good pen, but its capillary filler system can be a problem if it isn't used consistently. I hear they can be a bear to clean. Here's a page I found that has some notes on cleaning a 61:

penspotters at rickconner.net

Probably why the 51 is still more highly regarded, although they were of equivalent quality, and it certainly doesn't have that 51 mystique. Me, I don't go in for mystique all that much. Actually, a "student" version of the 51, the 21, is a pen I like quite a bit. Dunno why. It's simple, but reliable, and that means a lot to me. I just remembered, I have another contemporary pen -- a two-pen set, actually. It's a Parker "International" Duofold set -- fountain pen and roller ball pen in lapis. I bought the set out of a pawn shop for about 1/5 of the new price. Perfect shape, I don't think it was ever used. And I don't use it either. It's a nice enough writer -- better than the Mont Blanc, actually -- but that's it. It keeps my Mont Blanc company in a desk drawer.

Here in Houston, I can usually find plain old black Parker Ink at a big box office supply like Office Depot. But for a nice variety of ink, we have a genuine stationers -- not many stationery stores left these days -- that carries a very large variety of inks, as well as a nice variety of fountain pens. Turns out the owner is a fountain pen nut. I guess that helps. But anyway, if there is a stationers somewhere close to you, you might try there.

3) Heh, it seems to me like England would be full of interesting photographic subjects. Maybe you're trying too hard? Although I do like your automotive shots. Me, I'd be on my bike, riding through the hinterlands, shooting pix of old castles, taking in the quaint little villages I see on BBC America. And of course, one day I hope to make the pilgrimage to the birthplace of my surname: Kirkudbright, Scotland. A cheery little community, from the photos I've seen, at the tip of Bathinghouse Bay, up in the Dumfries and Galloway region of Scotland.

You know, I can't think of which car it is that has the drop down doors like that. It isn't the BMW M1 is it? I can't tell which car it is in your shot.
08-18-2015, 05:50 PM - 3 Likes   #11734
Veteran Member

Zenza Bronica ETRSi
Zenzanon EII 75/2.8
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V500

Last edited by Swift1; 08-19-2015 at 09:50 AM.
08-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #11735
Veteran Member

Nice shot, Colton. That area looks familiar. Southern Oregon coast, right? I took a trip from LA up to Vancouver and on the way back drove down US 101, which traces the southern Oregon coast in a rather spectacular fashion. Some of the most beautiful country I've even seen. I often fantasize about what it would take to live up there on the southern Oregon coast. All I would need is a job where I've got a mailbox and internet access, I reckon. And probably a bazillion dollars if I wanted to buy a house with that sort of view.
08-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #11736
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

Zenza Bronica ETRSi
Zenzanon EII 75/2.8
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V500
Gorgeous.
08-18-2015, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #11737
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Nice shot, Colton. That area looks familiar. Southern Oregon coast, right? I took a trip from LA up to Vancouver and on the way back drove down US 101, which traces the southern Oregon coast in a rather spectacular fashion. Some of the most beautiful country I've even seen. I often fantasize about what it would take to live up there on the southern Oregon coast. All I would need is a job where I've got a mailbox and internet access, I reckon. And probably a bazillion dollars if I wanted to buy a house with that sort of view.
Thanks.
This was taken just south of Crescent City in California. The Oregon/ N.Cal coast is pretty epic, I wouldn't mind living there myself.

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Gorgeous.
Thanks Kevin

---------- Post added 08-18-2015 at 08:35 PM ----------

My wife took this one of me the other day at Crescent Beach. I've got my Bronica ETRSi on me.
She has a Canon AE-1 with FD 50/1.8 which I bought her awhile ago for basically nothing. Camera works great, and the FD 50/1.8 is a really great lens.

08-18-2015, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #11738
Veteran Member

My wife took this one of me the other day at Crescent Beach. I've got my Bronica ETRSi on me.
She has a Canon AE-1 with FD 50/1.8 which I bought her awhile ago for basically nothing. Camera works great, and the FD 50/1.8 is a really great lens.
Rockin it! Man... my lady and I need to get down the coast so badly before summer disappears. She doesn't shoot her own but she sure puts up with mine in an awesome way, and she takes over the GR1s and occasionally one of the Pentax 35mm's. I should slap a fast fifty on my other MX and see if she'll just go nuts with it.
08-18-2015, 11:44 PM - 3 Likes   #11739
Veteran Member

she's lovelier than I deserve, that's for certain. but to another point, i'm just tickled by the results the 67 lenses can produce on 135 bodies. this image is bananas-good to my eye...
08-19-2015, 12:38 AM - 3 Likes   #11740
Pentaxian

I thought this shot was quite Coltonish so I Coltonised it some more with a nice white border

IMGP8610 -1b
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
08-19-2015, 07:47 AM   #11741
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
she's lovelier than I deserve, that's for certain. but to another point, i'm just tickled by the results the 67 lenses can produce on 135 bodies. this image is bananas-good to my eye...
Amazing image. It really makes me want to look into getting the 6x7-to-K adapter.
08-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #11742
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Amazing image. It really makes me want to look into getting the 6x7-to-K adapter.
Perhaps consider the reasons you are shooting small format over say medium format, for instance. Probably convenience, size and flexibility; otherwise, why not just go for the quality of medium format. And to slap such large medium format lenses on 35mm body kind of defeats those reasons. But, yeah, it can be fun to try. I have a 67->K-mount adapter, tried it a few times but it seems the good ol' K-mount lenses work just as good IQ wise.
08-19-2015, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #11743
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks.
This was taken just south of Crescent City in California.
I thought so! I know the spot!

Steve
08-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #11744
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Perhaps consider the reasons you are shooting small format over say medium format, for instance. Probably convenience, size and flexibility; otherwise, why not just go for the quality of medium format. And to slap such large medium format lenses on 35mm body kind of defeats those reasons. But, yeah, it can be fun to try. I have a 67->K-mount adapter, tried it a few times but it seems the good ol' K-mount lenses work just as good IQ wise.
Oh don't be silly. Come on man. Of course it's ridiculous with the giant 67 glass out there, but on that day I had my 67 with me with three lenses (as I was shooting mostly MF) and brought my LX along with just the 43mm. I decided I wanted something with more reach for some portrait tests and a couple closeups on bees among the lavender blossoms at sundown, and I had spent my 120 rolls already (*edit - no that's not true - I only had B&W with me in MF and wanted color and happened to have a fresh roll of portra in the LX)... I didn't have any other small format lenses with me but did have the 90 and 165 67 along for the ride. Worked out pretty well.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 08-19-2015 at 10:44 AM.
08-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #11745
Veteran Member

Pentax made the adapter for a reason I guess? Probably for just such an event, so a person out with their MF gear can use a small 35mm body as a backup without bringing an entire set of additional lenses.