Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43127 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2015, 04:23 PM - 4 Likes   #11911
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Got my colour medium format rolls back that I took at Buskerfest. Still waiting on the B&W ones though.

All shots with my 6x7 & S-M-C Tak/6x7 200/4.

First on my last roll of (expired) Fuji 160S:

And these three on Portra 800, the warmth of which is quite obvious compared to the Fuji:

That last one is fairly heavily cropped, as the performer wound up OOF and was distracting to the composition. The downside to cropping being that the fringing, frequently an issue with this lens, is somewhat more noticeable. (Don't remember the aperture, but I do recall that I was doing most of the shots of that performance at 1/125.)

09-11-2015, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #11912
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Yup Morgan, I also shot one in the same Agfa Precisa roll but it appears this film doesn't tolerate overexposure well:

Thank you guys, I think the Precisa is a very good E6 film, I don't have much experience with other slide films tough because they are very expensive, however as you can see on the top it deals poorly with overexposure.
Hey Cuthbert, as a general rule any slide emulsion will not handle overexposure very well. Maybe 1/2 stop over tops -- any more and you get burn through with the highlights. Slide film, in general, is more tolerant of underexposure, but not by an excessive amount. Maybe 1 stop at the most. Slide film is notorious for having a very narrow latitude and it takes a bit of discipline to stay within it. It's worth it, I've always felt, though.

Back in the day when I shot lots of Kodachrome, I picked up a tip, I don't recall where from -- to set the ISO for Kodachrome 64 to 80 and Kodachrome 25 to 32. This half-stop or so of underexposure actually improved saturation and I used it religiously. But for E-6 films, this same rule didn't typically apply. I always shot my E-6 films at box speed and then made sure I was careful in the way I metered a scene. With slide film, often you have to expose for the highlights and just let the shadows fall where they may. I used to use fill flash a lot, even outdoors, to take care of shadows that might be too deep.

Your last four or five shots -- of the river boats and bridge, etc., are spot-on and look outstanding.

Heh, I'm writing all this in past tense, but I still shoot slide film, although not nearly as much as I used to.
09-12-2015, 01:07 AM - 12 Likes   #11913
Veteran Member

My father and I have been searching for the best of my grandfather's slide collection, mostly Kodachrome. This is up there as one of my favorites. My grandmother, Doris in November 1947 on their honeymoon. This was probably in Utah somewhere. She sure was photogenic and my gramps could frame a great shot. I'm in love with this one.

09-12-2015, 02:09 AM   #11914
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Got my colour medium format rolls back that I took at Buskerfest. Still waiting on the B&W ones though.
pro results !!

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
My father and I have been searching for the best of my grandfather's slide collection, mostly Kodachrome. This is up there as one of my favorites. My grandmother, Doris in November 1947 on their honeymoon. This was probably in Utah somewhere. She sure was photogenic and my gramps could frame a great shot. I'm in love with this one.
Great shot! To have an access to so great shots of ones ancestors, one is very lucky indeed !!

09-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #11915
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Hey Cuthbert, as a general rule any slide emulsion will not handle overexposure very well. Maybe 1/2 stop over tops -- any more and you get burn through with the highlights. Slide film, in general, is more tolerant of underexposure, but not by an excessive amount. Maybe 1 stop at the most. Slide film is notorious for having a very narrow latitude and it takes a bit of discipline to stay within it. It's worth it, I've always felt, though.

Back in the day when I shot lots of Kodachrome, I picked up a tip, I don't recall where from -- to set the ISO for Kodachrome 64 to 80 and Kodachrome 25 to 32. This half-stop or so of underexposure actually improved saturation and I used it religiously. But for E-6 films, this same rule didn't typically apply. I always shot my E-6 films at box speed and then made sure I was careful in the way I metered a scene. With slide film, often you have to expose for the highlights and just let the shadows fall where they may. I used to use fill flash a lot, even outdoors, to take care of shadows that might be too deep.

Your last four or five shots -- of the river boats and bridge, etc., are spot-on and look outstanding.

Heh, I'm writing all this in past tense, but I still shoot slide film, although not nearly as much as I used to.
Thanks Michael,
almost all the shots from these five rolls came out well, but few of them (all with the SPF, ironically) came out like this:

It was a bright day and this shot is counterlight....the Jenaflex (Praktica BC1), F2A and the Super A didn't fail though, I assume the more sophisticated lightmeter of these cameras allowed a better "gauging" in difficult conditions, even if the Super A in aperture priority screwed up this one:

I think you have a similar pic taken with the A-1.

However, I DO like this film a lot and I'm planning to shot more in the next weeks.

This is another shot with the SPF in Oxford:

Another shot of Dover with the Super A:

This is an airbox of a BMW taken with the Jenaflex and the remarkable Prakticar 50mm f1.4 wide open:

This is not that great because the car was fast, but I kind like it:

I don't know if this Agfa/Fujichrome is Kodakchrome good but I love the colours and sharpness.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 09-12-2015 at 03:25 PM.
09-12-2015, 05:19 PM - 4 Likes   #11916
Veteran Member

Pentax 67
SMC Pentax 67 90/2.8
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V500
09-12-2015, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #11917
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just lovely. For me, photography is mostly about the memories captured.

09-13-2015, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #11918
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

Pentax 67
SMC Pentax 67 90/2.8
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V500
Love it love it. Find myself wishing somehow that was an old T-bird or a beatup early 70s Datsun in the background though.
09-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #11919
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote

All shots with my 6x7 & S-M-C Tak/6x7 200/4.

The downside to cropping being that the fringing, frequently an issue with this lens, is somewhat more noticeable.
Great shots. Do yourself a favour and upgrade to the near-flawless late-model SMC 200/4 - the bargain of the 67 lens range I think!
09-14-2015, 12:36 PM   #11920
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rhmimac Quote

P67 + 55f4 SMC + Velvia100
Very nice!

---------- Post added 09-14-15 at 12:39 PM ----------

Some evening double-exp (triple actually) fun with the recently-arrived-to-me Nettar 515/2 (war-time production model) and some Velvia 100F. The slower speeds (below 1/25) do not work proper (they jam the shutter) so the last of the three shots were taken with a cable release and my stopwatch.

09-14-2015, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #11921
Veteran Member

Very nice!

---------- Post added 09-14-15 at 12:39 PM ----------

Some evening double-exp (triple actually) fun with the recently-arrived-to-me Nettar 515/2 (war-time production model) and some Velvia 100F. The slower speeds (below 1/25) do not work proper (they jam the shutter) so the last of the three shots were taken with a cable release and my stopwatch.
Pretty cool.
Was it an intentional multiple exposure?

---------- Post added 09-14-2015 at 02:47 PM ----------

Was going through some of my old images, and I found this gem from 2009.

Pentax ME
SMC Pentax 24/2.8
Fujicolor C200
Epson V500
09-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #11922
Veteran Member

Pretty cool.
Was it an intentional multiple exposure?
Nope! Well, the third was but not the first.

---------- Post added 09-14-15 at 06:13 PM ----------

Was going through some of my old images, and I found this gem from 2009.
Very nice - who's that little guy having so much fun??
09-14-2015, 07:11 PM - 8 Likes   #11923
Veteran Member

Nope! Well, the third was but not the first.

---------- Post added 09-14-15 at 06:13 PM ----------

Very nice - who's that little guy having so much fun??
That's my daughter Etta when she was 6 months old.
Here she is now.

Rolleiflex 2.8C
Carl Zeiss Planar 80/2.8
Kodak New Portra 400
Epson V500
09-14-2015, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #11924
Veteran Member

That's my daughter Etta when she was 6 months old.
Here she is no
Awesome. Another nice one. My apologies to her for calling her a 'little guy'.
09-15-2015, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #11925
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rolleiflex 2.8C Carl Zeiss Planar 80/2.8 Kodak New Portra 400 Epson V500
A happy cute picture.