Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2015, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #12346
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Average metering? The last one is the best (though I'd still say 1/2 stop over). You might get better results with a handheld meter. Another trick is to meter off the back of your hand, assuming skin tones are similar. Or bracket.
I think you're missing the point. Alan seems quite happy the way they are, he wasn't asking for exposure advice...

11-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #12347
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's quite easy to digitally manipulate color balance, saturation and contrast to your preference.
?????????????

Not my experience.

Steve
11-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #12348
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Judging by his history of work, I'd say he gets quite good results. I'd personally be looking to get advice from Alan, not give it to him. Just MHO.

ROFL

Steve
11-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #12349
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
ROFL
I laugh partially because this thread has traditionally been for sharing our work, not critique. If we mostly did critique there might be a few dozen pages at most.

Steve

11-11-2015, 11:30 PM   #12350
Veteran Member

I laugh partially because this thread has traditionally been for sharing our work, not critique. If we mostly did critique there might be a few dozen pages at most.
This.

---------- Post added 11-11-15 at 10:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

Widelux F7
Mitsubishi MX III 200
Epson V750-M Pro
I'm super happy you've got that Wide still. I'm now bummed that both the (former) neighborhood bowling alleys around here are gone.
It also brought to mind the bowling stand-up bit by Jim Gaffigan. lol
11-12-2015, 01:45 AM   #12351

bridgnorth in shropshire uk. taken on a welta weltur on kodak ektar home developed in tetenal c41 rapid
Attached Images

11-12-2015, 05:51 AM   #12352
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Based on what you just shot, my favs are Ektar100 and Velvia100F. I just gave a roll of X-Tra400 to my dad and he had the same conclusion about it.
I'll give those a look, thanks!

It's quite easy to digitally manipulate color balance, saturation and contrast to your preference. Film characteristics which may be harder (though not necessarily impossible) to control/compensate for are dynamic range, accutance and grain. I find the fuji film is very flexible in nearly all respects, has tremendous dynamic range, and its grain is not excessive for chromogenic 400 film, when exposed at rated or slower speeds.
Correct, I could've put them through LR to get the colour and everything how I would like. But I feel that takes away from shooting film, I'd rather just leave it how it came out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Of course it didn't flare, you're using a pentax lens!...try a hanimex.
Gah! Should've known that. I'll look out for one of those though.

11-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #12353
Pentaxian

?????????????

Not my experience.

Steve
Depends on the tool. MS Paint would be rather tedious.

---------- Post added 11-12-15 at 08:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Judging by his history of work, I'd say he gets quite good results. I'd personally be looking to get advice from Alan, not give it to him. Just MHO.
Indeed, judging by his NSFW web site, the pictures he recently posted here are something of an anomaly, technically speaking. Maybe striking out in a new direction: landscape with model blocking view.
11-12-2015, 08:04 AM   #12354

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 89Y49Si Quote
K1000, M28 f/2.8, Fujifilm X-TRA 400. Was trying to induce some lens flaring on the first one, but apparently the M28 didn't want to.

Anyone have any recommendations on good colour film? The Fuji is cheap, which is nice, but I'm not particularly fond of the colours.
Maybe a smaller aperture for flare. I'm fond of Kodak Portra and Ektar.
11-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #12355
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by _Ben Quote
Maybe a smaller aperture for flare. I'm fond of Kodak Portra and Ektar.
If I remember right, I believe I was at or close to f/16. I didn't have a battery in the camera, so no meter. Sunny 16 rule FTW!
11-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #12356
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 89Y49Si Quote
Correct, I could've put them through LR to get the colour and everything how I would like. But I feel that takes away from shooting film, I'd rather just leave it how it came out.
If you print your color negatives with a darkroom enlarger, then you are adjusting for color balance and contrast. If you scan your negatives, you are either adjusting or using an algorithmic 'preset'. If you are leaving it to a lab (or someone else), they are doing it for you, maybe using machine presets (that would likely be a digital 'machine').

Either way, the images from your negatives have been post-processed. If you want no control or responsibility over this step, fair enough.

Good luck finding the perfect film.
11-12-2015, 09:21 AM   #12357
Forum Member

If you print your color negatives with a darkroom enlarger, then you are adjusting for color balance and contrast. If you scan your negatives, you are either adjusting or using an algorithmic 'preset'. If you are leaving it to a lab (or someone else), they are doing it for you, maybe using machine presets (that would likely be a digital 'machine').

Either way, the images from your negatives have been post-processed. If you want no control or responsibility over this step, fair enough.

Good luck finding the perfect film.
Hm, that definitely puts a different perspective on things. I'll give LR a shot to before jumping to a different film.
11-12-2015, 12:47 PM - 2 Likes   #12358
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Of course it didn't flare, you're using a pentax lens!...try a hanimex.
This post wins the most awesome post-number in this historic thread contest! (Content is good too - bonus)

---------- Post added 11-12-15 at 12:10 PM ----------

I printed this one recently and discovered how much Sensia really really shines on paper. I've gone through a few rolls and was always on the fence until then - the digital scans really don't do them one iota of justice.

Pentax MZ-3 | FA 43/1.9 | Fuji Sensia 400 | V750 scan
11-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #12359
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I'm now bummed that both the (former) neighborhood bowling alleys around here are gone.
Gone?! I am familiar with your part of town and the bowling alleys were both landmark buildings.

Steve
11-12-2015, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #12360
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Depends on the tool. MS Paint would be rather tedious.
...no, it depends on the negative. I suppose you also subscribe to the theory that OOF may be remedied with USM?

Steve

(...wishing I had a NSFW Web site to point people to...)