Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43117 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2015, 12:00 AM   #12421
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
I was using "Tiny Light Meter" (no longer available in the Android store) and I switched to "Light Meter Tools".

They both provided EXIF-based metering using the phone's camera, except Light Meter Tools allows choosing where in a scene to meter from and Tiny Light Meter was just averaging the entire scene from what I could tell. (I haven't tested out the ambient meter on Light Meter Tools yet, as the light sensor based ones tend to be a bit inconsistent on Android phones from my experience. )
Ahh cool. That's what I have been using for a half a year now or so, Light Meter Tools that is. I tried a couple others before that but don't remember which. I've been pretty happy with this - better in a pinch than I'd have expected.

11-19-2015, 01:12 AM   #12422
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What a difference getting a different light meter app on my phone made. I can go through this roll and spot the moment where I swapped apps, as all of a sudden the exposure gets more accurate. (Though not entirely, since I'm not always metering on the right spot.)
I tried a couple of the phone apps and finally gave up. The readings were inconsistent and seldom agreed with my other cameras or meters.

Steve
11-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #12423
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I tried a couple of the phone apps and finally gave up. The readings were inconsistent and seldom agreed with my other cameras or meters.
At least with Android & ambient light ones, a lot depends on the quality of the light sensor included in the phone. (And a lot of them seem to use ambient light sensors that are good enough to dim the phone's screen to an approximately accurate level for the environment, but not to give you an accurate reading for exposing film.)
11-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #12424
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I use my phone, as a phone. I carry a light meter. That I use as a light meter. I also usually have a camera, that I use, (surprise), as a camera. :-)

General Electric, DW-68 is my favorite light meter. With the General Electric PR-1 being the next favorite.

11-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #12425
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

At least with Android & ambient light ones, a lot depends on the quality of the light sensor included in the phone.
I can't say for sure regarding the current Android versions or the meter apps,* but a couple of years ago, the meters worked by actually doing a test exposure (or something equivalent) using the built-in camera and calculating the EV from the EXIF. That can lead to error since the image processor is in the loop to help insure an acceptable image.

Steve

* I suppose I could simply check the API documentation. I have the full developer's kit installed on the other computer upstairs...lazy...
11-19-2015, 11:58 AM   #12426
Veteran Member

That's how most of them work I believe - the reflective light meter ones use EXIF data from actual camera exposure.
I was curious a couple of times about that Lumu light meter which has a diffusion dome that plugs into the mini jack on phones to make a (pretty well reviewed and seemingly accurate) incident meter. But then.... I have a light meter, and the reflected type on the apps I do have work fine in a pinch.

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 11:06 AM ----------

Here's an FStoppers review of that Lumu meter in case anyone is curious: https://fstoppers.com/originals/lumu-light-meter-your-smartphone-36678
It's definitely cute/tiny and everything I've read says it's surprisingly quick and accurate. I doubt I'll ever buy one but it's still cool.... in a Sharper Image catalog kind of way.
11-19-2015, 12:21 PM - 4 Likes   #12427
Veteran Member

My Ashland Hills Triptych was featured on Flickr's Explore today.

Rolleiflex 2.8C
Carl Zeiss Planar 80/2.8
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V500

11-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #12428
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Here's an FStoppers review of that Lumu meter in case anyone is curious: https://fstoppers.com/originals/lumu-light-meter-your-smartphone-36678
It's definitely cute/tiny and everything I've read says it's surprisingly quick and accurate. I doubt I'll ever buy one but it's still cool.... in a Sharper Image catalog kind of way.
Here's a $30 device which (allegedly) does what the $149 Lumu does: Luxi For All ? Extrasensory Devices

(the review you linked to, as well as many of the comments on it repeatedly raise the Lumu's price as a sticking point)

I don't have a smart phone, but I do have a nexus tablet that weights as much as a lens so... won't be carrying that around on photo shoots. My sekonic L-188 weights nothing. No contest.
11-19-2015, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #12429
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

Rolleiflex 2.8C
Carl Zeiss Planar 80/2.8
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V500
That's so I-faved-this-on-Flickr-yesterday.
(Seriously, it's awesome. Largely I'd say because each shot is different from the other and can stand on it's own, but then they come together like Voltron.)
11-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #12430
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
but then they come together like Voltron.)
11-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #12431
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Here's a $30 device which (allegedly) does what the $149 Lumu does: Luxi For All ? Extrasensory Devices

(the review you linked to, as well as many of the comments on it repeatedly raise the Lumu's price as a sticking point)

I don't have a smart phone, but I do have a nexus tablet that weights as much as a lens so... won't be carrying that around on photo shoots. My sekonic L-188 weights nothing. No contest.
I've seen that one as well, but to be fair it's really just a reflected light app (like the many others that use EXIF) which includes a diffusion dome to allow to be used for incident readings. Still - it's far cheaper.
(And, similarly, I have an unnatural love of my Minolta Flash Meter VI and just had new life breathed back into it by George the Magnificent at Quality Light Metric in Hollywood.)
11-19-2015, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #12432
Veteran Member

Meow.

11-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #12433
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

Rolleiflex 2.8C
Carl Zeiss Planar 80/2.8
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V500
Nice one. Er, three.
11-19-2015, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #12434
Veteran Member

Pentax 67, SMC 67 105/2.4, Fuji Velvia 100
11-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #12435

QuoteOriginally posted by wuzet Quote
Pentax 67, SMC 67 105/2.4, Fuji Velvia 100
I like this one very much.