Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #12826
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I can see it from another browser not logged into either PF or Google, dunno what's up with it not visible to some.
Same here...

Steve

02-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #12827
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I can see it from another browser not logged into either PF or Google, dunno what's up with it not visible to some.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Same here...

Steve
Hmmm... strange.
I posted the same image in a different part of the forum and I was told it wasn't showing up.
02-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #12828
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Hmmm... strange.
I posted the same image in a different part of the forum and I was told it wasn't showing up.
I can see the image just fine. I believe I'm logged into Google however.

Picasa is going away? I used to use that extensively for albums and easy sync while I was traveling. Not as much in the past couple years but definitely still go to it occasionally.
I'm in a similar situation with Barracuda's Copy.com service being shut down, which was my bread-and-butter for hotlinking. Extremely irritating as well because once they shut down, a huge number of photo links I've posted here and on a couple other forums will become that irritating 'photo-not-found' variety. The bulk of my posts use Flickr link, but there are quite a number from Copy.com.
I've since moved to a combination of OneDrive and Mediafire and have yet to decide which I'll move to primarily... Probably OneDrive but we'll see.

All these shifting cloud-storage issues are par for the course I suppose for the convenience, but a huge hassle nonetheless.
02-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #12829
Veteran Member

What about this?

Fujifilm Klasse
Fujinon 38/2.6
expired Konica VX 200
Epson V750-M Pro

02-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #12830
Veteran Member

What about this?

Fujifilm Klasse
Fujinon 38/2.6
expired Konica VX 200
Epson V750-M Pro
Yup. (Nice one)
02-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #12831
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I can see the image just fine. I believe I'm logged into Google however.

Picasa is going away? I used to use that extensively for albums and easy sync while I was traveling. Not as much in the past couple years but definitely still go to it occasionally.
I'm in a similar situation with Barracuda's Copy.com service being shut down, which was my bread-and-butter for hotlinking. Extremely irritating as well because once they shut down, a huge number of photo links I've posted here and on a couple other forums will become that irritating 'photo-not-found' variety. The bulk of my posts use Flickr link, but there are quite a number from Copy.com.
I've since moved to a combination of OneDrive and Mediafire and have yet to decide which I'll move to primarily... Probably OneDrive but we'll see.

All these shifting cloud-storage issues are par for the course I suppose for the convenience, but a huge hassle nonetheless.
I've been using Picasa and PicasaWeb since it was introduced. I mostly just use it to quickly upload images and be able to share them. It's a great program for finding photos.
Google Photos on the other hand makes absolutely no sense to me...
02-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #12832
Veteran Member

I've been using Picasa and PicasaWeb since it was introduced. I mostly just use it to quickly upload images and be able to share them. It's a great program for finding photos.
Google Photos on the other hand makes absolutely no sense to me...
Same here, except I moved away from it except for just casual snaps and viewing photos with its browser. (Been trying to make Lightroom more and more my default for everything lately). I'm on Windows 10 now however and found that images (within Picasa) for one reason or another just don't look as good. Could be my imagination but I seem to remember reading that somewhere.
No, Google Photos is bizarre. It's clearly geared toward mobile consumption - it isn't anywhere NEAR as full featured as the old Picasaweb environment.

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 02:41 PM ----------

I mostly just use it to quickly upload images and be able to share them. It's a great program for finding photos.
That's exactly how/why I used PicasaWeb so much while traveling. I'd have a ton of digital images that I'd dump onto my little netbook (which had Lightroom installed but struggled to run it with any ease if the images were large and I wanted to do substantial editing - which I did occasionally but not often...), cull through them in the image browser, make across the board sharpening adjustments and little Picasa color tweaks, add the starred ones to an album and then hit that "Sync to PicasaWeb album" button and not worry about or watch it. It would just sync as much as it could wherever I was and however long I had internet, then pick it up later. As soon as I was done adding to that album (week or more later) I'd turn the sync off and could dump the files off my netbook and the album was safe and sound in the PicasaWeb cloud... and my mom could see where the hell I was within a few days. Plus it was easy and lightweight...

So is usage of Picasa and Picasaweb going away entirely? It got confusing to me when everything got moved into Google Photos and I had to figure out how to access the Picasaweb interface that was once so easy to get to. That's partially why I stopped using it, and using Google altogether for the most part... Just seemed to turn in a really fractured and hodge-podge confusing collection of stuff in their giant ecosystem.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 02-18-2016 at 03:44 PM.
02-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #12833
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What about this?

Fujifilm Klasse
Fujinon 38/2.6
expired Konica VX 200
Epson V750-M Pro
This one I can't see, and I'm logged in to google.
02-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #12834
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RubyT Quote
This one I can't see, and I'm logged in to google.
hmmm....
02-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #12835
Veteran Member

Hmmmm... that's weird. I could see it (logged into Google or not) initially but now it doesn't show up.
02-18-2016, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #12836
Veteran Member

So is usage of Picasa and Picasaweb going away entirely? It got confusing to me when everything got moved into Google Photos and I had to figure out how to access the Picasaweb interface that was once so easy to get to. That's partially why I stopped using it, and using Google altogether for the most part... Just seemed to turn in a really fractured and hodge-podge confusing collection of stuff in their giant ecosystem.
Yes. Picasa will apparently continue to run in some limited fashion, but Google is trying to kill it.
The worst thing Google ever did was create Google+, ever since then they have been killing all their good stuff to try and save that sinking ship...

---------- Post added 02-18-2016 at 03:37 PM ----------

What about this?

02-18-2016, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #12837
Veteran Member

Yes. Picasa will apparently continue to run in some limited fashion, but Google is trying to kill it.
The worst thing Google ever did was create Google+, ever since then they have been killing all their good stuff to try and save that sinking ship...

---------- Post added 02-18-2016 at 03:37 PM ----------

What about this?
That one I see (for now). Did you change anything in the previous link?

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 04:24 PM ----------

On another note... I've been largely missing from foto sites for some time. Hopefully all my New Years bugs are now worked out...

Here kitty kitty.

Pentax 67 | 90mm 2.8 | Fuji Pro400H | V750 scan

After a brief (or perhaps not so brief) photography hiatus due to a myriad of factors (including but limited to a computer replacement, a drive failure, a cloud storage provider shut-down, two very grueling work contracts, holiday madness and more...), two months later I've a number of rolls comign back from the lab today or tomorrow and a big scanning weekend in front of me.
Lightroom freshly reinstalled (for the second time along with OS and drives) on the new laptop, a complete revamping and restructuring of my data and image syncs and backups, and an overall rethinking of my total workflow (both film/scanning and digital)... I am, like our little black menace pictured, looking forward with anticipation and a bit of trepidation. All hairs raised, but secretly and quietly... Ready to run or fight.
Happy (belated) New Year, everyone.
02-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #12838
Veteran Member

That one I see (for now). Did you change anything in the previous link?
So here's what I think I've figured out...

If I upload a photo to Google Photos, open it, then right click and copy the image URL, then use that URL to post here, there seem to be problems with it not showing up.
If I go back to the image in Google Photos and use the "Share" button and copy the URL that comes up, that URL doesn't work at all for posting to the forum... but...
If I take that URL and paste into the browser address bar and go to that the image will open in the browser, and now if I right click on the image I get a totally new URL that I can copy, and that URL seems to work fine.

WTG Google...
02-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #12839
Veteran Member

If I upload a photo to Google Photos, open it, then right click and copy the image URL, then use that URL to post here, there seem to be problems with it not showing up.
If I go back to the image in Google Photos and use the "Share" button and copy the URL that comes up, that URL doesn't work at all for posting to the forum... but...
If I take that URL and paste into the browser address bar and go to that the image will open in the browser, and now if I right click on the image I get a totally new URL that I can copy, and that URL seems to work fine.

WTG Google...
Yeah. That's a similar problem (though one step further) that I face with OneDrive (and why I adored Copy because it didn't give me any fuss). It can be more complicated if encrypted links are being used by default (which is what I ran in to time and time again when auditioning other cloud sync services a week ago for several days). With OneDrive I use a quick little weblink script that modifies the "Share" link to a download link (and another tweak or two). It's easy enough (in this case at least - I suspect it is with Google as well) to do it manually if you know what to alter, but still a pain in the butt so I bookmarked that script page. That said...
Here is one for Google Photos - hopefully your mileage is the same, e.g. I haven't tested this one.

https://sites.google.com/site/gdocs2direct/
You input the "share" link and it will output a direct file link for you to use (here for instance).

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 05:53 PM ----------

I've also been holding onto MediaFire because direct linking is far easier (e.g. one step from my sync'd folders). I may even decide to pay for it. Maybe.
This purdy lil Velvia shot of my current bike is linked using Mediafire.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 02-18-2016 at 06:50 PM.
02-18-2016, 10:56 PM   #12840
Pentaxian

WTG Google...
That sounds like a royal pain. I can see the first image you asked about and the third, but not the second.