Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2016, 10:00 AM   #13231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
As for the Rollei CR 200, well, very yellow is the phrase I'd use to describe them.
I'm not familiar with the "Rollei" -badged color film's pedigree, but superia 400 lab scans (allegedly done at Fuji film's hq in Mississauga) come back with a similar yellowish cast -- I would hesitate to describe as 'very' yellow, easily corrected by pushing overall hue a few notches towards the blue spectrum in PP for a more neutral cast, then individually walking back yellows, reds and greens. And I usually desaturate and lighten yellows a bit as well.

05-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #13232
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I'm not familiar with the "Rollei" -badged color film's pedigree, but superia 400 lab scans (allegedly done at Fuji film's hq in Mississauga) come back with a similar yellowish cast -- I would hesitate to describe as 'very' yellow, easily corrected by pushing overall hue a few notches towards the blue spectrum in PP for a more neutral cast, then individually walking back yellows, reds and greens. And I usually desaturate and lighten yellows a bit as well.
Can't say I've shot enough Superia to notice. (My notes show 3 rolls total over the past few years, not counting any rebadged stuff I may also have shot.)

I believe it's Maco who's producing Rollei's reversal film. It's also sold as Agfa, and at least one other brand.

Searching around online, it seems like there is some argument over whether the yellow hue is expected or not. Some claim that it's only from a batch of film that was badly produced/stored, and others claim to have it in all their shots regardless of when or where they bought the film.

Though at least one person reported that Maco suggested using a cooling filter when shooting with it in daylight, so it sounds to me like yellow is probably expected.

Last edited by g026r; 05-01-2016 at 10:46 PM.
05-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #13233
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some years back, I loaded up on some ISO 200 film the local 99-cents Only store was selling. It was made in Japan -- I don't recall the brand name, but since it was made in Japan, it had to have been Fuji. I can dig out the negatives, and they should reveal something as to the film's origin. It was recently expired when I bought it, but I didn't mind. Hey, a buck a roll for a 24 exp roll of ISO 200 C-41 is a good deal any way you want to slice it. Well, when I got the first few rolls back, they all had a rather strong yellow cast. I was able to eliminate it easy enough in post and I just assumed it probably had something to do with the way the film had been stored. This was probably four or five years ago, though. I still have some of it in my freezer and I anticipate it will also have the yellow cast.

I've shot some Superia occasionally over the past several years -- but it's all been ISO 400. It all had good color. More grain than I care for, but the color was good, at least.
05-01-2016, 05:38 PM - 3 Likes   #13234
Veteran Member

Widelux F7
Mitsubishi MX III 200
Epson V750-M Pro

05-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #13235
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The reds look good. Digital often blows them.
It's the first roll of Ektar I've shot and yep, the ability to retain detail in reds has been impressive (I'm not sure this is conveyed well with 800px flickr downsizing...).

Not sure if I'm a fan yet, it definitely has a 'plastic' feel compared to Portra (very different films I know).
05-02-2016, 05:13 AM - 2 Likes   #13236
Pentaxian

05-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #13237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
It's the first roll of Ektar I've shot and yep, the ability to retain detail in reds has been impressive (I'm not sure this is conveyed well with 800px flickr downsizing...).

Not sure if I'm a fan yet, it definitely has a 'plastic' feel compared to Portra (very different films I know).
Ektar is excellent film with very fine grain and good saturation. But I don't care for the way it scans -- earthtones scan as purple hues on my Epson -- and I can't do successful dupes of it the way I can with any other C-41 emulsion, which I find very frustrating.

On the other hand, I love Portra. It also has very fine grain and good saturation. But it scans well and I can dupe it. It's as close I've come to a good, all-around slide film yet. I don't even bother with Ektar anymore, I iike Portra so much.

05-02-2016, 10:47 AM - 4 Likes   #13238
Veteran Member

I was going through some boxes of slides the other day and decided I should finally put them in archival sleeves. As I was going through them I ran across a set I took while I was visiting Taiwan way back in 1994. I was there with my wife, who is a native of Taiwan, and our daughter -- who was 2 years old at the time. We were visiting my wife's family, as well as seeing the sights. Unfortunately, we decided to visit during the Chinese New Year festivities, which occurred in early February in 1994. The weather was miserable. Cold, wet, and rainy. For the two weeks I was there, I saw the sun maybe once or twice. So unfortunately almost all of my slides taken outdoors reflect the rather dreary overcast. On the positive side, shadows are soft, at least. Sorry, some of the slides are rather dusty. I could have cleaned them better.

So here is a portion of the images I took. I have a selection of almost twenty. I'll distribute them across a couple of posts. The camera used was an EOS 650 I borrowed from my good friend, Silvio Bello, of Silvio's Photoworks. At the time, my EOS lens selection was limited. I bought a Tamron 24-70 aspherical right before the trip and most of the images were taken with that lens. It proved to be a great walking around lens for the confines of the Taipei area. All slides were Fujichrome 100.

Taiwan's National Museum, nestled into the hills on the eastern edge of Taipei, is pretty much a must-see visit. Working from 22-year-olld memories, I can recall seeing many pieces of exquisite art and carvings, and many, many steps to get there. It's a long walk, just to get to the front doors.

A view of some of the steps, my wife, daughter, and my mother-in-law on the right.

And it's still a long walk:

A koi pond and rock garden somewhere in Taipei. Sorry, don't remember exactly where anymore.

And that's about the extent of the touristy pics I took. Well, there may be a few more, but that's all I've scanned for now. The rest are pretty much pics of life in ordinary Taipei. I mean, Taipei is like any other international city. It's got its sleek sky scrapers and glitzy shopping areas and very nice parts of town. But then, like all other international cities, it has the parts where most people live and go about their lives. It was these places I was interested in.

---------- Post added 05-02-16 at 12:55 PM ----------

Hrm . . that above image got posted too soon.

So as I was stating above, I was after finding about ordinary life in Taipei. At one point, I was trying to find my way to the river that was close to my mother-in-law's apartment. I ended up walking into what I suspect was part of the abode of one of the fisher folk there.

Some of the fisher folk's housing and their boats.

---------- Post added 05-02-16 at 01:26 PM ----------

I liked visiting the open-air shopping areas. Some (most) of them had sidewalks that also doubled as streets for the motorcycle and scooter traffic.

A more typical city street

As you get away from the busy streets into some of the more quiet housing areas, often you'll run across places where it just looks like the houses have sort of grown together somehow.

In the neighborhood where my mother-in-law's apartment was, there would be four or five vendors who drove trucks up and down the streets, plying their wares, each selling rather specific items. Here's a truck that sold various food odds and ends. My wife, in the green, is examining some tidbit, with my daughter clinging close.

Each of these trucks had music they would play over loudspeakers as they drove through the neighborhoods. I got to where I knew which truck was coming based on the music I heard playing. The "stinky tofu" truck was the one that played the coolest tunes, I thought, but I didn't even want to get close to that truck because of the smell.

The fresh seafood venders would lay out their offerings in laundry baskets. Seeing baskets full of live crabs was a very common sight. Whenever my daughter would spot one, she couldn't resist playing with the crabs. Fortunately, the vendors would tie the claws closed with bamboo leaves.

Last edited by cooltouch; 05-03-2016 at 06:08 AM.
05-03-2016, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #13239
Pentaxian

05-03-2016, 02:16 PM - 6 Likes   #13240
Pentaxian

Cross-posted from the medium format thread as I thought the film shooters here would like the graffiti. 645 and Fuji 400H.

Paris P645 400H 013a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
05-04-2016, 05:08 AM   #13241
Pentaxian

05-04-2016, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #13242
Pentaxian

Shot some Fujifilm Eterna 250d today, so much easier to remove the remjet than kodak motion picture film. Not sure I have got the colour balance right in the scans but thought I would share anyway.

Pentax MX, Vivitar 19mm f3.8, Fujifilm Eterna 250d.

Last edited by graeme83; 05-04-2016 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Had a redo of the first picture.
05-04-2016, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #13243
Veteran Member

Slightly late on this one, but re: Superia 400, I find it's better to set the camera's meter to 500ISO. I don't know if it has something to do with the emulsion's 'true' sensitivity but slight underexposure gives it a little more bite and stops the grain from being quite so distinctive. That said, I do find Kodak Ultramax to be a slightly more satisfying 400ISO colour negative.

Superia 400 at 500, MZ-10, A50/2.8 Macro, Epson V550 scan

Kodak Ultramax, Super A, K55/1.8, Epson V550 scan
05-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #13244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I was going through some boxes of slides the other day and decided I should finally put them in archival sleeves.
They would be worth putting into an album of sorts as a record. The world is changing so fast we soon forget the past.
05-04-2016, 05:39 PM - 8 Likes   #13245
Veteran Member

Finally got some developed 4x5 film back from the lab.

Pacemaker Speed Graphic 4x5
Kodak Ektar 127/4.7
Ilford FP4 Plus
Epson V750-M Pro

Last edited by Swift1; 05-04-2016 at 09:34 PM.