Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2017, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #14926

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Passing by
By now I'm pretty sure you work as a train conductor.
I spend some time on trains, too, and I discovered things look better from a train. Same as things looking better through ther ear view mirror of a car that someone else is driving.
I keep telling myself that one day I will not take that train ride to get from A to B, but to get off whenever I think I'm close to one of these interesting spots. Probably I'll realize that the unusual, somewhat elevated perspective from the tracks and the fact that you'll always only see them for a short time, passing by made these places look alluring and when you get there, things will look just as shabby as everything looks up close. That perfect patch of grass turns out to be a bunch of crippled single weeds, that field is just your ordinary pile of mud, that abandonend shack is impossible to get a good angle on, becuase it's surrounded by scrap and shrubbery and so on and on.. One day, though, I'll still do it.

03-18-2017, 05:23 AM   #14927
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arvid Quote
I spend some time on trains, too, and I discovered things look better from a train. Same as things looking better through ther ear view mirror of a car that someone else is driving.
I keep telling myself that one day I will not take that train ride to get from A to B, but to get off whenever I think I'm close to one of these interesting spots. Probably I'll realize that the unusual, somewhat elevated perspective from the tracks and the fact that you'll always only see them for a short time, passing by made these places look alluring and when you get there, things will look just as shabby as everything looks up close. That perfect patch of grass turns out to be a bunch of crippled single weeds, that field is just your ordinary pile of mud, that abandonend shack is impossible to get a good angle on, becuase it's surrounded by scrap and shrubbery and so on and on.. One day, though, I'll still do it.
I like the way you put that. I'm not a conductor or any other sort of train worker. This was taken from the top deck of a double-decker "GO" (local commuter) train where you can see over the tops of fences, vegetation etc.
03-18-2017, 06:41 AM   #14928
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arvid Quote
But isn't that what we do? We use interesting light, angles, perspective, etc to make the ordinary look extraordinary? Most people live in a place where there is to at least some degree, a tourism industry. I think we all get acclimated to our surroundings as the norm. We see pictures of people and places we don't see every day and yearn for those photographic or travel opportunities. I find myself wishing I lived somewhere in/near the Rockies - for the photography, trail racing, skiing, hunting, etc. But if I move to Colorado, I'd long for the ease of day trips to ocean, the sub-three hour drive to cities like Philadelphia, Washington, DC, NYC, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, etc. I can see a ridiculous number of sports teams and get there by train or a short drive. I think it's human nature to become complacent to what's immediately around us. Photography is a way out of feeling stuck in the mundane - you just have to look for it. The description in your post above reinforces the saying of the "grass isn't always greener on the other side." From a distance, it may look that way, and we can present it however we like with a photograph.
03-18-2017, 07:04 AM   #14929
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
we can present it however we like with a photograph.
This is the best thing you've said!

A few years ago, I made a little photo-essay along those lines:
http://designartcraft.com/photo/exotic.htm

03-18-2017, 01:11 PM - 4 Likes   #14930
Veteran Member

Back to 35mm for some orchids. SF1n, 100mm/f2.8 macro #1 & #3, 50mm/f1.7 and small ext. tube for #2, Superia 400, Unicolor presskit and X1 scans.

The last one is from a full resolution .fff scan, and shows just how much detail there is in these tiny ( ) negatives!

Chris
03-18-2017, 03:19 PM - 4 Likes   #14931
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Pentax Z-1p
SMC Pentax-FAJ 18-35mm f/4-5.6
Expired Kirkland (Agfa) Color 400
Epson V750-M Pro
03-19-2017, 04:19 AM   #14932
Pentaxian

03-19-2017, 10:50 AM - 4 Likes   #14933
Veteran Member

Pentax Z-1p
Epson V750-M Pro
03-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #14934
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

Pentax Z-1p
Epson V750-M Pro
Very nice image Colton...
03-19-2017, 04:29 PM - 3 Likes   #14935
Veteran Member

Praktica L-2 with an Auto-Sears 28mm f/2.8

Last edited by Helios 1984; 04-01-2017 at 04:31 PM.
03-20-2017, 02:27 AM - 2 Likes   #14936
Pentaxian

03-20-2017, 03:41 AM   #14937
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

dsmithhfx
Looks like someone needs or needed a "Cat in the Box". From what I've heard it's probably cheaper to run that, on natural gas or even on Diesel, than it is to pay the hydro bill.
03-20-2017, 05:42 AM   #14938
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
Looks like someone needs or needed a "Cat in the Box". From what I've heard it's probably cheaper to run that, on natural gas or even on Diesel, than it is to pay the hydro bill.
It's likely for one of the myriad condo tower construction sites blighting our streets and (for the time being), topping up our municipal operating budget. It's true our "hydro" (really, coal and nukes) is more more costly than Quebec's, but we don't have a scandalously cheap Churchill Falls lock in.
03-20-2017, 06:28 AM   #14939
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
It's likely for one of the myriad condo tower construction sites blighting our streets and (for the time being), topping up our municipal operating budget. It's true our "hydro" (really, coal and nukes) is more more costly than Quebec's, but we don't have a scandalously cheap Churchill Falls lock in.
There's not much if any coal used in Ontario Power Plants any more. When I first went to work on the ships working the Lakes in the 80's there were on average between 8 and a dozen ships steadily hauling coal, 30,000 tons a load, to Lambton, Nanticoke and Lakeview with Nanticoke taking sometimes during peak demand 2 ships a day. Now we haul hardly any coal to the power plants, maybe 1 or 2 loads a year to Nanticoke with Lambton and Nanticoke having been converted to Natural Gas and Lakeview flattened.

With respect to Churchill, being from NFLD. I know all about that deal. Now NSP is involved with the over budget Muskrat Falls project so I guess you can figure out what that will do for the power rates here in NS.
03-20-2017, 06:49 AM   #14940
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
There's not much if any coal used in Ontario Power Plants any more. When I first went to work on the ships working the Lakes in the 80's there were on average between 8 and a dozen ships steadily hauling coal, 30,000 tons a load, to Lambton, Nanticoke and Lakeview with Nanticoke taking sometimes during peak demand 2 ships a day. Now we haul hardly any coal to the power plants, maybe 1 or 2 loads a year to Nanticoke with Lambton and Nanticoke having been converted to Natural Gas and Lakeview flattened.

With respect to Churchill, being from NFLD. I know all about that deal. Now NSP is involved with the over budget Muskrat Falls project so I guess you can figure out what that will do for the power rates here in NS.
Yeah they closed the last coal-fired power plant (in Thunder Bay) in 2014. I thought they might have had one or two still going.

Ever see Lakeboat (the movie)? Pretty hilarious.