Phil.

---------- Post added 20-10-17 at 11:12 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonner04 Quote
Kruger National Park, South Africa
Pentax ME Super SE
Pentax smc P-A 70-210mm f/4
Kodak Portra 160
Pacific Image Prime Film XA Slide & Negative Scanner
What a coincidence and great shot! I was in Kruger a couple years ago and also was the only one shooting film, also with the A70-210/4. However I used Fuji Provia 400X & my K2DMD for the wildlife.

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 10-24-2017 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Updated rescanned image.
10-20-2017, 04:01 PM - 7 Likes   #16037
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Family Unit

African safari shooting is similar to street photography as you never know what will present itself to you.
In this case, a herd of elephants decided to cross the road we were on, all at the same time. You could
almost reach out and touch some as they passed by our stopped safari vehicle.

Kruger National Park, South Africa
Pentax ME Super SE
Pentax smc P-A 70-210mm f/4
Kodak Portra 160

10-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #16038
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few months back, I called upon the wisdom of the Forumind for a recommendation for a reasonably priced (read: cheap) AF Pentax. Mostly because I have a Tamron 28-105 AF IF in Pentax mount laying around here that I wanted to put into service. Well, the first camera I bought was an SF-1, came with the SMC Pentax F 35-70 lens that I'm assuming was a popular kit option that was often sold with it. Well, that SF-1 lasted for a few seconds of operation before the mirror stuck in the up position and that was it. Stick a fork in 'er. So, undaunted, I found another one at the same source, bid on it and won it for dirt cheap, only to discover that it too had the same problem. Stuck mirror. Dang! Well, not to be deterred, I tried one more time and at last, success. This last one came with the same identical Pentax 35-70 zoom as the first. Well, I still haven't finished the first roll of film yet, but it looks like everything is working right.

And then, yesterday, the wife and I decided to drop by a thrift store that we often visit, and what do I find just sitting on a shelf back with all the electronic gear? A ZX-7, complete with a matching SMC Pentax FA 28-80 zoom and a cute little Pentax bag. Also, this camera has a "Date" databack -- dunno how common this was. But it's a feature I never use unless the back can print between frames. The camera, it turns out, had a roll of ISO 800 Kodak in it, fully exposed, plus the bag had two rolls of Kodak 400, so not too bad, all in all.

But the batteries were totally toast, so I picked up a set today, crossed my fingers, and switched it on. Nada. Great. Then I decided to check the battery configuration and, sure enough, I'd loaded them in upside down. This time, the camera woke up and appears to be behaving fine. After initially not wanting to do anything with the Tamron, eventually it woke up and decided to work even with the Tamron. So, all in all, not bad. Including the price of the batteries, I have a total of $35 invested in the outfit.

I understand that this is one of the cameras with the fragile plastic gear, but I tell you what -- neither the camera nor the lens has a single scratch, nick, or rub mark anywhere. The viewfinder is spotless. Both camera and lens are in truly mint condition. Makes me wonder if the camera actually got any use. The batteries were completely flat. 0.00 volts with my multimeter and they're Sanyo batteries, which is making me think that these are the originals. Fortunately, neither ruptured. I also learned from reading the review(s) here that this camera does not have the crippled lens mount. Which is great news. So, even though I was initially thinking about putting it up on eBay and making a few bucks (which it would appear is just about the most I'd make), I've decided to keep it for now.

It's a cute little camera -- very light. I like the way the settings dial lights up. Kinda cool, I've never seen that before with any camera. Also, I note that the pic of the camera in the review shows it with an extension, which I assume holds like 4 "AA" batteries, so one can dispense with the CR2s and their high price. If I decide to keep it, I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for one of those extensions.

Well, if any of you would like to fill me in on any of this camera's idiosyncrasies, I promise to pay attention. I'm off to Mike Butkus's site to d/l a manual and read up on it.

Last edited by cooltouch; 10-21-2017 at 12:25 AM.
10-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #16039
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
A few months back, I called upon the wisdom of the Forumind for a recommendation for a reasonably priced (read: cheap) AF Pentax. Mostly because I have a Tamron 28-105 AF IF in Pentax mount laying around here that I wanted to put into service. Well, the first camera I bought was an SF-1, came with the 35-70 Pentax AF lens that I'm assuming was a popular kit option that was often sold with it. Well, that SF-1 lasted for a few seconds of operation before the mirror stuck in the up position and that was it. Stick a fork in 'er. So, undaunted, I found another one at the same source, bid on it and won it for dirt cheap, only to discover that it too had the same problem. Stuck mirror. Dang! Well, not to be deterred, I tried one more time and at last, success. This last one came with the same identical Pentax 35-70 zoom as the first. Well, I still haven't finished the first roll of film yet, but it looks like everything is working right.

And then, yesterday, the wife and I decided to drop by a thrift store that we often visit, and what do I find just sitting on a shelf back with all the electronic gear? A ZX-7, complete with a matching 28-80 zoom and a cute little Pentax bag. Also, this camer has a "Date" databack -- dunno how common this was. But it's a feature I never use unless the back can print between frames. The camera, it turns out, had a roll of ISO 800 Kodak in it, fully exposed, plus the bag had two rolls of Kodak 400, so not too bad, all in all.

But the batteries were totally toast, so I picked up a set today, crossed my fingers, and switched it on. Nada. Great. Then I decided to check the battery configuration and, sure enough, I'd loaded them in upside down. This time, the camera woke up and appears to be behaving fine. After initially not wanting to do anything with the Tamron, eventually it woke up and decided to work even with the Tamron. So, all in all, not bad. Including the price of the batteries, I have a total of $35 invested in the outfit.

I understand that this is one of the cameras with the fragile plastic gear, but I tell you what -- neither the camera nor the lens has a single scratch, nick, or rub mark anywhere. The viewfinder is spotless. Both camera and lens are in truly mint condition. Makes me wonder if the camera actually got any use. The batteries were completely flat. 0.00 volts with my multimeter and they're Sanyo batteries, which is making me think that these are the originals. Fortunately, neither ruptured. I also learned from reading the review(s) here that this camera does not have the crippled lens mount. Which is great news. So, even though I was initially thinking about putting it up on eBay and making a few bucks, I've decided to keep it for now.

It's a cute little camera -- very light. I like the way the settings dial lights up. Kinda cool, I've never seen that before with any camera. Also, I note that the pic of the camera in the review shows it with an extension, which I assume holds like 4 "AA" batteries, so one can dispense with the CR2s and their high price. If I decide to keep it, I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for one of those extensions.

Well, if any of you would like to fill me in on any of this camera's idiosyncrasies, I promise to pay attention. I'm off to Mike Butkus's site to d/l a manual and read up on it.
Yeah, the AF film cameras are kind of a crap-shoot. The ZX series are plenty usable, and until they break, they work well.

I almost think these kind of cameras sort of develop a "routine" in regards to the amount of usage. If they don't get much use, they can wake up and work perfectly. If they are heavily used, and then stored, they seem to wake up, and break.

Anyway, congrats on two working cameras!

10-21-2017, 12:47 AM   #16040
Veteran Member

Thanks -- yeah, it's kinda funny with me and Pentax gear. I bought a KX several years ago because I had one briefly about 25 years ago and I never forgot it. I had fond memories of it, so when I had the opportunity, I bought a nice clean one to keep this time. And that's where my Pentax collection sat until a couple years ago, and then within the space of a couple of months, I'd acquired three more -- a KM, a K2, and a Spotmatic F. That's where my collection stayed until about a year later, at which point, within a few months of each other, I picked up an LX and an MX. So that's where things stood until this most recent set of acquisitions. Hopefully I'm done for a while. I wouldn't mind picking up a PZ-1P or an MZ-S one of these days, but I can't afford either right now, so they'll just have to wait.
10-21-2017, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #16041
Pentaxian

10-21-2017, 07:19 AM - 6 Likes   #16042
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Risky Business

He is standing on the Zambia side of the river
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Pentax ME Super SE
Pentax smc P-F 24-50mm f/4
Kodak Portra 160 NC

10-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #16043
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bonner04 Quote
He is standing on the Zambia side of the river
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Pentax ME Super SE
Pentax smc P-F 24-50mm f/4
Kodak Portra 160 NC
Fantastic. Interesting how the man is such a quickly seen central aspect of the photo when captured at such a long distance. Great shot!
10-21-2017, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #16044
Pentaxian

Kodak Portra 160

Some highlights from a roll of Portra 160

Pentax Super Program, SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.4, Kodak Portra 160
10-21-2017, 03:48 PM - 2 Likes   #16045
Forum Member

Thanks all,

Here's a couple more from the past few years

My office, Mt. Baker, Wa
Ilford hp5

Eli looking across the delta toward home,
Stehekin, Wa
Kodak Portra 400

Kids smoking weed on the way to a horse race,
Rio Manso region, AR
Kodak Portra 400

Last edited by Cory Tarilton; 10-21-2017 at 03:53 PM.
10-21-2017, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #16046
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Some highlights from a roll of Portra 160

Pentax Super Program, SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.4, Kodak Portra 160
This one is my favorite from that roll. When I got the scans back from the lab, I was thrown off for a second. This wasn't how I remembered the shot.

??? by Benjamin Chan on 500px.com
10-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #16047
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
This one is my favorite from that roll. When I got the scans back from the lab, I was thrown off for a second. This wasn't how I remembered the shot.

??? by Benjamin Chan on 500px.com
Rotate 180°
10-21-2017, 08:11 PM   #16048
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Rotate 180°
Tee! Hee!

He fooled me!

Steve
10-21-2017, 10:40 PM - 2 Likes   #16049
Pentaxian