Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #16891
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Not a typical Cinestill 800T subject for sure. Think it's a processing issue? It's it processed in a different cocktail than C-41? <- That's more for the post about the unacceptable/undesirable results. I'd really like to try Cinestill when I go to Europe next year and visit numerous cities. I think I've finally decided to just bring two or three small 35mm bodies and a few lenses rather than try to make the trip with a 6x7 or 645n. Still considering a 6x4.5 P&S like the Fujis.[COLOR="Silver"]
Yeah, most people seem to use it for night street shoots and for fashion editorials for a chilly, gritty look. Those are fine subjects, especially given the film's visual characteristics, but why not do still lifes? Those fake flowers look a lot better with sub-zero colours and sour grain.

CineStill would be great for travel, but yeah, as mentioned by others, watch out for x-rays, it eats those up.

05-10-2018, 02:07 AM - 2 Likes   #16892
Pentaxian

05-10-2018, 03:20 PM - 2 Likes   #16893
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Somewhere between Kingman and Oatman Arizona on Route 66

Canonet G-III 17 ,Kodak Portra 400 NC
Joshua Trees
Attached Images

05-10-2018, 03:45 PM - 5 Likes   #16894
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
They were in a lead-lined X-ray bag, but they did indeed.
Yeah, I doubt it was any one thing. 800T is absolutely a finicky little bastard. Looking at it wrong causes static, though I noticed far more on the larger surface area of 120 rolls... Wonder if it has anything to do with the backing. I've no idea.

I got a 135 bulk roll that's been refrigerated for close to a year that I *finally* got around to spooling. Hoping I didn't wait too long - I've got 2 rolls of it at the lab right now so I'll know soon enough. Also worried now (something I didn't have enough experience with at the time I opted for that kickstarter perk option) about static additional that might even be *caused* by hand-rolling. Fingers crossed.

All the same, it's produced at least a few favorite images.

120 800T in the Autocord...

135 800T in the MX with M50/1.2 ... this one's printed on direct metal and hanging at a restaurant in town.

---------- Post added 05-10-18 at 03:52 PM ----------

I took two rolls of Cinestill 800T with me .... These are two of the better frames from the second roll, but even in the first image the defect is painfully obvious:
I really like that first phone-booth shot. I'm pretty sure Trinity ran all-out for that thing as an agent was barreling down on her with a construction truck.

05-10-2018, 07:09 PM - 3 Likes   #16895
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

67ii & 200/4 shooting Provia 400X:

Phil.
05-10-2018, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #16896
Pentaxian

My K2, unfortunately, did not survive the trip. Or rather, it survived the trip but didn't survive the more turbulent than usual flight back. Fired the shutter and it got stuck with the mirror up, the shutter closed, and the film advance lever locked as if the shutter was still firing. I've checked the usual culprits — batteries are fine, mirror lock-up switch is not engaged — but nothing seems to be solving it.

Still, I got a few good shots out of it before it gave up. But it does mean I'm now once again looking for another K-mount film camera.

Pentax K2.
Unknown lens, but quite probably a Pentax-A 50/1.4.
Kodak Portra 400.

Last edited by g026r; 05-10-2018 at 08:30 PM.
05-11-2018, 12:51 AM   #16897
Pentaxian

My K2, unfortunately, did not survive the trip. Or rather, it survived the trip but didn't survive the more turbulent than usual flight back. Fired the shutter and it got stuck with the mirror up, the shutter closed, and the film advance lever locked as if the shutter was still firing. I've checked the usual culprits — batteries are fine, mirror lock-up switch is not engaged — but nothing seems to be solving it.

Still, I got a few good shots out of it before it gave up. But it does mean I'm now once again looking for another K-mount film camera.

Pentax K2.
Unknown lens, but quite probably a Pentax-A 50/1.4.
Kodak Portra 400.
Sorry to hear that. Isn't it worth at least trying to get it fixed?

05-11-2018, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #16898
Pentaxian

Acros
05-11-2018, 06:21 AM   #16899
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Sorry to hear that. Isn't it worth at least trying to get it fixed?
Depends on whether it's a mechanical or electrical failure. The former: probably. The latter: probably not.
05-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #16900
Pentaxian

Although your issue sounds more intractable, I was able to solve a mirror lockup in my spotmatic by following this guide: How to Fix a Ceased/&quot;stuck&quot; Mirror on a Pentax ES Spotmatic

Supposedly the K series has very similar mechanism (?), dunno about the K2.
05-11-2018, 07:22 AM   #16901
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These old K Series bodies are usually pretty tough. Did the K2 get banged against something hard, that might explain it? The mirror may be stuck in sticky foam, if it also was not CLAed recently. Eric can fix it up at a reasonably cost.

Phil.
05-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #16902
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
These old K Series bodies are usually pretty tough. Did the K2 get banged against something hard, that might explain it? The mirror may be stuck in sticky foam, if it also was not CLAed recently. Eric can fix it up at a reasonably cost.
Eric CLA'd it about a year ago, so shouldn't be the foam. No idea on banged against anything, but was certainly possible.

---------- Post added 2018-05-11 at 12:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Although your issue sounds more intractable, I was able to solve a mirror lockup in my spotmatic by following this guide: How to Fix a Ceased/&quot;stuck&quot; Mirror on a Pentax ES Spotmatic

Thanks. I'll take a look and see if this does anything.
05-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #16903
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eric CLA'd it about a year ago, so shouldn't be the foam. No idea on banged against anything, but was certainly possible.
Interesting, maybe send Eric an email. He probably will be able to figure it out with your description of the issue, without even looking at the body in person.

Phil.
05-11-2018, 11:48 PM   #16904
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote

I believe that the other cameras in the K series essentially have the Spotmatic innards but the K2 (and K2 DMD) were new designs which are different.
05-12-2018, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #16905
Pentaxian