Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2018, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #17386

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Recently scanned from negative
July/ 1977
Northern Quebec, Canada (my first job; surveying at 16)
110 Pocket Instamatic; my first camera
Super cool. That's the kind of place I love to go exploring.

07-26-2018, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #17387
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Scanned from a 20 year old 35mm slide
Somewhere in Switzerland
Pentax K1000 or MZ7, some Fuji film, probably Velvia
Attached Images

07-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #17388
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobphoenix Quote
Here is one of my most favorite shots from my K-X.
I used an SMC Pentax-A, Zoom, 35~70mm, lens
It is a conversion from a Kodak Kodachrome 64 film slide using my Pentax Slide Copying bellows.
The location is on the Staten Island Ferry in New York City, New York in late March (somewhere around 1988- 1989).
KX or K-x? (Film or digital?)
07-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #17389
Forum Member

It is a conversion from a Kodak Kodachrome 64 film slide using my Pentax Slide Copying bellows.
The location is on the Staten Island Ferry in New York City, New York in late March (somewhere around 1988- 1989).
My eyes are drawn to the Twin Towers in the photo.

Thanks for sharing this!

07-26-2018, 11:48 AM - 6 Likes   #17390
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
That's really natural color for Ektar. Ektar seems to be a finicky film when it comes to color, sometimes great, with more saturation, sometimes just way too saturated.
I've read that and seen that, but I've never had any problems with color or saturation with Ektar. I think a lot of the issues people have with Ektar come from bad processing (temperature or old/exhausted chemistry causing color shifts), bad metering (old cameras with off-shutter speeds, old light meters, low batteries in either camera or meter, a wrong guess at the light if going off of Sunny 16, or a fooled meter), or bad scanning/post processing, with "bad" in this case meaning something detrimental to the process that causes an unintended consequence in the final digital or printed image from the negative and not necessarily poor technique. There's a lot that can go wrong with color film, and more so if you starting messing with more than one of those variables at a time. I think a lot of film shooters make it too hard on themselves honestly by using old worn out cameras or meters and then using multiple labs and scanners/scanning techniques, and taking advice from blogs and forum posts on the internet from other users who may or may not have the same goals as you with their film or even know how film is supposed to look and work (hint: film images are not supposed to be a grainy off-color lomo mess if they're done right. There's nothing wrong with a lomo image if that's your intent, but you should know and understand how to make a straight image first BEFORE heading off to Lomography land).

I generally shoot it at box speed in cameras with known good metering (from shooting slides and from matching the meter readings from my various film bodies to my K-30) and send it to good labs that know how to scan (The FIND Lab or The Darkroom generally) and get great results.

Things get a little orange at sunset, but then again the light was a bit on the warm side that evening too...

...but a cooling filter would probably cure most of it. I've also read that Noritsu's scan cooler than Frontiers, and I think I generally ask for the Noritsu scans from FIND with Kodak Film. I'm not sure what the Darkroom uses off-hand.

It works for me in a studio setting too (this was one of the last rolls I had developed at my local grocery chain before they pulled their developing equipment, and they uses a Frontier which might explain the warmer color cast)

Long exposures work too

And when its dark and you're on the move, set your meter to 400 or 800 (I can't remember which I did for these, but probably 800) and let the color shift fade in to the darkness.

But that's just my opinion man...
07-26-2018, 12:43 PM   #17391
Forum Member

Chilling photo. Grew up in manhattan around that time. Thanks for sharing your work. Im sure what ended up happening was not on that persons mind as he stared off into the water.
07-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #17392
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
I've read that and seen that, but I've never had any problems with color or saturation with Ektar. I think a lot of the issues people have with Ektar come from bad processing (temperature or old/exhausted chemistry causing color shifts), bad metering (old cameras with off-shutter speeds, old light meters, low batteries in either camera or meter, a wrong guess at the light if going off of Sunny 16, or a fooled meter), or bad scanning/post processing, with "bad" in this case meaning something detrimental to the process that causes an unintended consequence in the final digital or printed image from the negative and not necessarily poor technique. There's a lot that can go wrong with color film, and more so if you starting messing with more than one of those variables at a time. I think a lot of film shooters make it too hard on themselves honestly by using old worn out cameras or meters and then using multiple labs and scanners/scanning techniques, and taking advice from blogs and forum posts on the internet from other users who may or may not have the same goals as you with their film or even know how film is supposed to look and work (hint: film images are not supposed to be a grainy off-color lomo mess if they're done right. There's nothing wrong with a lomo image if that's your intent, but you should know and understand how to make a straight image first BEFORE heading off to Lomography land).

I generally shoot it at box speed in cameras with known good metering (from shooting slides and from matching the meter readings from my various film bodies to my K-30) and send it to good labs that know how to scan (The FIND Lab or The Darkroom generally) and get great results.
I rarely have chemistry issues, and my scanning workflow is fairly consistent.

When I do see blown-out colors they generally seem to be in the reds.

07-26-2018, 01:34 PM - 8 Likes   #17393
Pentaxian

The first highrise building erected in 1932 in Vienna, taken in 1990. Pentax LX, smc Pentax-M 1:1.4 50mm, Agfapan 25 film/Ilfosol S 1+14 developer. Negative copied using Pentax K-1 with smc Pentax-D FA 50mm Macro.

Last edited by wkraus; 07-26-2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Completing description.
07-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #17394
Veteran Member

I rarely have chemistry issues, and my scanning workflow is fairly consistent.

When I do see blown-out colors they generally seem to be in the reds.
I know I went off on bit of a rant, but it wasn’t directed at you or your work specifically and I apologize if it came off that way.

Reds can get a bit overstated with ektar for sure.
07-26-2018, 03:51 PM - 2 Likes   #17395
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good harvest this year

07-26-2018, 04:07 PM - 7 Likes   #17396
Pentaxian

The bit of a light leak in the lower left is my own fault. I failed to make certain the back was properly seated when I latched it.

Zeiss Ikon Contax I.
Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm f1.5.
Fuji Superia 200.

Last edited by g026r; 07-28-2018 at 02:13 PM.
07-26-2018, 06:02 PM   #17397
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
I know I went off on bit of a rant, but it wasn’t directed at you or your work specifically and I apologize if it came off that way.

Reds can get a bit overstated with ektar for sure.
I didn't get that impression. But I have noticed reds are always the most difficult colors...
07-26-2018, 10:31 PM - 4 Likes   #17398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[IMG][/IMG]
Western central Queensland
Pentax SV, Tacumar 35mm f3.5 Kodak 400

[IMG][/IMG]

---------- Post added 27-07-18 at 15:39 ----------

[IMG][/IMG]

Pentax SV, 35/3.5 K400
07-27-2018, 02:08 AM - 3 Likes   #17399
Pentaxian

07-27-2018, 07:52 AM   #17400
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KX or K-x? (Film or digital?)
Oh, sorry... KX Brass and black and Kodachrome 64 positive film.