Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43042 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2018, 07:33 AM - 3 Likes   #18151
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote

hp5
I like that Hargrove quotation on your posts. I used to travel the world, visiting perhaps 40-50 countries as an international business/economics consultant to the UNDP-OPE, World Bank, Asian Development Bank, etc. I made it my custom always to read in detail about the history and culture of each country before travelling there, and found the knowledge I gained immensely helpful from both personal and professional standpoints.

11-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #18152
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I like that Hargrove quotation on your posts. I used to travel the world, visiting perhaps 40-50 countries as an international business/economics consultant to the UNDP-OPE, World Bank, Asian Development Bank, etc. I made it my custom always to read in detail about the history and culture of each country before travelling there, and found the knowledge I gained immensely helpful from both personal and professional standpoints.
Here's the full obit I lifted the quote from:

Roy Hargrove, Trumpeter Who Gave Jazz a Jolt of Youth, Dies at 49 - The New York Times

...currently listening to this:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/emergence-mw0000826174
11-12-2018, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #18153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote

Konica Auto S2 with ILford 400
Konica lenses really are superb.

Dang, Arnold, that shot looks like it was done with a really nice medium format camera! I'm beginning to see why Konica enthusiasts like their lenses so much.
11-12-2018, 12:47 PM - 4 Likes   #18154
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cross-posted with K lenses thread.

Pentax ME Super, SMC Pentax 'K' 15mm f/3.5 lens, Kodak Portra 160 film

Trade center memorial par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

11-12-2018, 01:00 PM - 7 Likes   #18155
Veteran Member

11-12-2018, 03:27 PM - 5 Likes   #18156
Veteran Member

11-13-2018, 03:13 AM - 2 Likes   #18157
Pentaxian

This held so much sky detail, I thought it must have been converted from Superia 400 but no, it's hp5 (no filter).

Last edited by dsmithhfx; 11-13-2018 at 03:28 AM.
11-13-2018, 04:51 AM - 4 Likes   #18158
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
During my recent visit to New York, we visited the new Oculus railway station. It provides an amazing variety of photographic opportunities and I'd recommend it highly. As the station is full of people taking photos, no worries about taking photos (although I guess a tripod would be frowned upon).

As I was editing the photo below, I kept going just a bit further, so I thought I would see what y'all think. Version 1 is the original image (taken using Kodak Portra) with just a slight crop of the frame and some tweaks to the colour balance in Lightroom. The mixed lighting in the Oculus means that it is hard (?impossible) to really get the nice cream colour of the structure. In Version 2, therefore, I converted the image to BW which I think works better. Lastly, in version 3, I decided to use a much heavier crop. This crop is much more than I would usually risk with 35mm film so I toned the grain down a little using the noise reduction tools in Lightroom.

The photo was taken using an ME Super with a SMC Pentax 'K' 135mm f/2.5 lens.

Man at the Oculus (version 1) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Man at the Oculus (version 2) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Man at the Oculus (version 3) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
11-13-2018, 05:59 AM - 3 Likes   #18159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh Violet!
Pentax SV, Tacumar 35/3.5 K400
11-13-2018, 06:17 AM   #18160
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
During my recent visit to New York, we visited the new Oculus railway station. It provides an amazing variety of photographic opportunities and I'd recommend it highly. As the station is full of people taking photos, no worries about taking photos (although I guess a tripod would be frowned upon).

As I was editing the photo below, I kept going just a bit further, so I thought I would see what y'all think. Version 1 is the original image (taken using Kodak Portra) with just a slight crop of the frame and some tweaks to the colour balance in Lightroom. The mixed lighting in the Oculus means that it is hard (?impossible) to really get the nice cream colour of the structure. In Version 2, therefore, I converted the image to BW which I think works better. Lastly, in version 3, I decided to use a much heavier crop. This crop is much more than I would usually risk with 35mm film so I toned the grain down a little using the noise reduction tools in Lightroom.

I like the first, uncropped color shot. I think that captures the space and scale best.
11-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #18161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went there as well in September and shot from the top level, where the man in your picture is located. Mine were in b&w, though I think I like your first colour shot best.

Phil.
11-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #18162
Veteran Member

The middle black and white would work better if the focus had been on the structure, would have made it more abstract and thus work better for monochrome. As such, I think the first picture (in colour) is the most effective given what's in the composition.
11-13-2018, 10:54 PM   #18163
Pentaxian

Ditto, the colour version is my favourite too.
11-13-2018, 11:02 PM   #18164
Pentaxian

Definitely the color one
11-14-2018, 03:09 AM - 2 Likes   #18165
Pentaxian