Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #19501
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would be a challenge. Did you wait for the prop surge?

Steve
I'd wait until I could hear the engines rev up. And the ferry pilot needed to just punch it and go. But that hardly would happen. Often, they'd rev up the engine, the water would start getting turbulent, they'd let off on the throttle and the front of the ferry would wobble around a little little ruining the effect of the shot.

09-09-2019, 02:07 AM - 2 Likes   #19502
Pentaxian

Ricoh 35s
09-09-2019, 03:37 AM   #19503
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote

Ricoh 35s
Nice photo. I love these kinds of downtown areas.
09-09-2019, 05:05 AM   #19504
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Nice photo. I love these kinds of downtown areas.
Thanks, the area (Danforth Ave. from Broadview to Pape, aka "Greektown") has undergone rapid gentrification in the past ~10-years, with a lot of mom-and-pop store fronts replaced by chains.

09-09-2019, 07:09 AM - 4 Likes   #19505
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Downtown Vermont, Illinois, behind 1953 I-H McCormick FARMALL Super M tractor, during 2019 South Fulton Antique Tractor Show.

Vivitar Series 1 F3.8-4.8 24-70mm VMC at 24mm
Sears (Ricoh) KSX film slr
Expired Fujicolor NPS 160 at iso 100
09-09-2019, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #19506
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
goatsNdonkey, For some reason, both your tractor images jump at me and remind me of textbook images from my childhood (1970's). Very cool!

Thanks,
09-09-2019, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #19507
Veteran Member

A red berry bush that I shot on the corner of my street.

Minolta SR-T 101 + MC Rokkor PF 55mm f/1.7 on Fujicolor Superia X-Tra 400.
Home processed with Unicolor C-41 press kit.

09-09-2019, 06:49 PM   #19508
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Downtown Vermont, Illinois, behind 1953 I-H McCormick FARMALL Super M tractor, during 2019 South Fulton Antique Tractor Show.

Vivitar Series 1 F3.8-4.8 24-70mm VMC at 24mm
Sears (Ricoh) KSX film slr
Expired Fujicolor NPS 160 at iso 100
Super M farmall was top of the line field tractor for cotton farmers in central Texas back in the 1950s and 1960s.
09-09-2019, 07:17 PM   #19509
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
goatsNdonkey, For some reason, both your tractor images jump at me and remind me of textbook images from my childhood (1970's). Very cool!

Thanks,
I'm glad they brought back memories. Those are from the tractor era when tractors looked like tractors to me, as well. Equipment they make today designed to pull gigantically wide planters and sprayers, with their enclosed and air-conditioned cabs, look more like something space aliens have dropped into a field.
09-09-2019, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #19510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Super M farmall was top of the line field tractor for cotton farmers in central Texas back in the 1950s and 1960s.
I never saw a cotton field until about ten or twelve years ago. I believe it was in southern Tennessee or northern Alabama, when we were driving to Georgia to see my brother get remarried. It's one of those southern crops not planted up north. I thought tobacco was the same, but they grow some of it in SW Wisconsin, Crawford County specifically.
09-09-2019, 07:55 PM - 6 Likes   #19511

Recently i've been trying out some Rollei IR film in a ME Super, I found the manual setting a lot more fiddly than the dial on my MX but worked - I just had to undo the IR filter a few times to make sure of what shutter speed I was on!
Attached is a view of a village called Northleach, in Gloucestershire
Attached Images

09-10-2019, 12:42 AM   #19512
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I never saw a cotton field until about ten or twelve years ago. I believe it was in southern Tennessee or northern Alabama, when we were driving to Georgia to see my brother get remarried. It's one of those southern crops not planted up north. I thought tobacco was the same, but they grow some of it in SW Wisconsin, Crawford County specifically.
I grew up as a poor farm kid on a small cotton farm in Texas. We could never afford a Super M but got by with a smaller Oliver 60. The Super M can handle 4-row agricultural equipment, and is still a serviceable tractor today on smaller farms with lighter soil. High labor costs in some areas of the country are forcing farmers to use much larger equipment to handle more than 4 rows at a time, and heavier northern soils make heavier draw bar loads. Driving from Cleveland south to Columbus one winter, I saw three huge Caterpillar tracked farm tractors working through a snowy day--three abreast, slightly staggered behind each other, moving at speed (for farm work, that is). There was at least a million dollars worth of equipment wiping out probably one thousand acres of plowing in a single day--why American agriculture is the most efficient in the world. Nowadays this equipment is handled through satellite, no drivers on board--the old story of substituting capital for labor.
09-10-2019, 02:10 AM - 7 Likes   #19513
Pentaxian

Ricoh 35s
09-10-2019, 03:17 AM   #19514
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote

Ricoh 35s
Nice one. I like the lacy appearance of the tree branches.
09-10-2019, 07:18 AM - 5 Likes   #19515
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I grew up as a poor farm kid on a small cotton farm in Texas. We could never afford a Super M but got by with a smaller Oliver 60. The Super M can handle 4-row agricultural equipment, and is still a serviceable tractor today on smaller farms with lighter soil. High labor costs in some areas of the country are forcing farmers to use much larger equipment to handle more than 4 rows at a time, and heavier northern soils make heavier draw bar loads. Driving from Cleveland south to Columbus one winter, I saw three huge Caterpillar tracked farm tractors working through a snowy day--three abreast, slightly staggered behind each other, moving at speed (for farm work, that is). There was at least a million dollars worth of equipment wiping out probably one thousand acres of plowing in a single day--why American agriculture is the most efficient in the world. Nowadays this equipment is handled through satellite, no drivers on board--the old story of substituting capital for labor.
The farm my mom grew up 20 miles east of Quincy, Illinois, on a farm that was probably still only 40 acres when she was born and never got bigger than 120. Her Dad farmed with horses. Sometime, probably shortly before or after WWII, I understand he got a tractor but didn't really take to it. It didn't communicate with him like a good team. Maybe he sold it to his younger brother. I never saw it when I was on his farm in the mid-50s-to-60s, but there was still draft horse tack hanging in the barn. He didn't have a row-crop farm, but a diversified one. He sold cattle and hogs, and fattened them on pasture and corn and hay he grew. Grandma had a flock of chickens and a very big garden. They had a family milk cow, one of which was the first cow I ever milked. Grandpa hunted, and most members of the family fished and collected wild berries and hickory nuts when in season.

I love the streamlined look of the Oliver 66 and 77. I'm not sure how different the 60 might be. I was a bit disappointed that no Olivers that old were at the South Fulton Antique Tractor Show this year. I recalled there being one or two of that era the last time I attended. There was a later 1650 this time though:

Here's a shot with more of the manufacturer breadth of the show appearing all together--Massey-Harris, Ford, Case, John Deere, Farmall:

And here's a goodie, a Minneapolis-Moline! What a great name--it sounds like the name of a railroad!

Same lens, camera, and film for these three as for the previous film shots from the tractor show.

- - -

For historical comparison, here is a picture of my Grandpa with one of his teams of Percherons, possibly Dot and Dan. Original most likely taken by my mom with her Brownie box camera.