Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2021, 03:41 PM - 3 Likes   #22186

Here are 2 images, one is scanned via a lab and the other is a DSLR scan using a homemade negative holder.
Can you tell the difference?

And cropped in a 100% on each.

02-19-2021, 04:09 PM - 9 Likes   #22187
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
z70, DA 50 and HP5.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SP-3000  Photo 
02-19-2021, 06:42 PM - 10 Likes   #22188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in 2019

02-20-2021, 05:45 AM - 3 Likes   #22189
Pentaxian

HP5+

02-20-2021, 06:25 AM - 2 Likes   #22190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott_Murray Quote
Here are 2 images, one is scanned via a lab and the other is a DSLR scan using a homemade negative holder.
Can you tell the difference?

And cropped in a 100% on each.

I'm gonna guess the higher res and over-saturated one is DSLR. Low-end lab scans generally range from useless to acceptably poor, depending on exposure, development, and the appliance.
02-20-2021, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #22191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I'm gonna guess the higher res and over-saturated one is DSLR. Low-end lab scans generally range from useless to acceptably poor, depending on exposure, development, and the appliance.
The vast majority of the images I post are low res lab scans. Despite the low resolution, they are pretty good. I only break out my scanning set-up(s) when I need a high res scan.
02-20-2021, 09:32 AM - 4 Likes   #22192
Pentaxian

Pentax K2DMD, Kodak Ektar 100 film.

Pink fountain par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

02-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #22193
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
The vast majority of the images I post are low res lab scans. Despite the low resolution, they are pretty good. I only break out my scanning set-up(s) when I need a high res scan.
What is your scanning set up?
02-20-2021, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #22194
Pentaxian

What is your scanning set up?
I have an Epson V750, a Minolta Scan Dual II and recently I have been using my K-3 and a pixl-latr negative holder. I've also backed the kickstarter for the Valoi set-up. For lo-res scans though, my lab does a good job (usually) and it is worth the £5 to save me the time. I have to edit the scans (their black point is usually off so I have to play with the levels) but for online use they are fine. For printing, I re-do the scans myself to a higher resolution.

As I say, time is the main problem being able to just pick and choose the odd neg to scan is fine for me. I'd love to be able to get the quality that Carlton does, but that would take some dedication from me to master it. What I would really love, though, is a darkroom. I just had a 12x16" traditional print made of one of my negs on fibre-based paper. Wow, is it gorgeous. That was a rare treat though as it was pretty pricey.
02-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #22195

Haha yes that is my first attempt at DSLR scanning, I do need more practice but was happy with the results.

---------- Post added 02-20-21 at 10:29 PM ----------

I totally agree, and if I am getting film developed at the lab I will always get lab scans. Its not until I set up my home developing system that it will be all in house.
As it is it costs me $20 to $30 in P/H not including the developing and scanning...

---------- Post added 02-20-21 at 10:30 PM ----------

I'd love to be able to get the quality that Carlton does
Who is Carlton?
02-20-2021, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #22196
Pentaxian

I have an Epson V750, a Minolta Scan Dual II and recently I have been using my K-3 and a pixl-latr negative holder. I've also backed the kickstarter for the Valoi set-up. For lo-res scans though, my lab does a good job (usually) and it is worth the £5 to save me the time. I have to edit the scans (their black point is usually off so I have to play with the levels) but for online use they are fine. For printing, I re-do the scans myself to a higher resolution.

As I say, time is the main problem being able to just pick and choose the odd neg to scan is fine for me. I'd love to be able to get the quality that Carlton does, but that would take some dedication from me to master it. What I would really love, though, is a darkroom. I just had a 12x16" traditional print made of one of my negs on fibre-based paper. Wow, is it gorgeous. That was a rare treat though as it was pretty pricey.
I was getting all my film developed and scanned to cd from a local supermarket that sent it out to Fujifilm's Canadian headquarters in Mississauga for the astonishing 5-bucks a roll all-in. I was pretty happy with the work too. However that chain (like so many others) stopped taking in film, though some drugstores continue to sell it. I then started putting film through an actual camera store that did the work in-house. It wasn't terribly expensive but after doing the math I realized I could eventually save some money by purchasing as scanner, as well as having better control and (hopefully) output, though with some more hands-on labor, about 30-minutes a 36-exp roll. And quite often additional work cleaning up dust spots and tinted film ends because the default holder doesn't flatten it in any significant way. So each method has it's merits. Having tried both, I will stick to doing my own scanning.
02-20-2021, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #22197
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott_Murray Quote
Who is Carlton?
Apologies to Colton aka Swift1 (on here) aka Daiku San (on IG). Colton's scans are superb. He has several "zines" available on Blurb, all of which are excellent. He also wrote up a guide to his method which is extremely useful.
02-20-2021, 04:32 PM - 6 Likes   #22198

Here are some 35mm B&W Ilford FP4 Plus taken on my Nikon FM.

02-21-2021, 04:35 AM - 5 Likes   #22199
Pentaxian

Tri-X 1987
02-21-2021, 05:00 AM - 6 Likes   #22200
Pentaxian

Kodak Portra 400
SMC Pentax 43mm f/1.9 Limited
Pentax LX

---------- Post added 21-02-21 at 13:02 ----------

I was getting all my film developed and scanned to cd from a local supermarket that sent it out to Fujifilm's Canadian headquarters in Mississauga for the astonishing 5-bucks a roll all-in. I was pretty happy with the work too. However that chain (like so many others) stopped taking in film, though some drugstores continue to sell it. I then started putting film through an actual camera store that did the work in-house. It wasn't terribly expensive but after doing the math I realized I could eventually save some money by purchasing as scanner, as well as having better control and (hopefully) output, though with some more hands-on labor, about 30-minutes a 36-exp roll. And quite often additional work cleaning up dust spots and tinted film ends because the default holder doesn't flatten it in any significant way. So each method has it's merits. Having tried both, I will stick to doing my own scanning.
Thanks for bringing up the tinted film ends. I've been having troubles with those and feared it might be a shutter issue.
My film holder is broken however so this makes a lot of sense. I'll have to order a replacement sometime soon.