Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43119 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2009, 03:19 AM   #571

ajuett, like that MZ5n/FG grip/SMC-M 50 1.4/yellow filter combo very much. had identical setup, and I was really satisfied with it. until the body decided to give up just before one concert (shutter would not fire anymore) about year ago. I replaced it with MZ-S, but still miss the real wheels on modern body...

05-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #572
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
Some Fuji 200 Superia with the M 50mm f/1.4, taken a few days ago. Since friday I've been working on my first roll of Delta 100 (36exp).

edit; I mentioned in another post I noticed halfway through my Delta 100 roll I had the camera on Matrix metering. I was a little worried about it and the effect it was going to have. This entire Superia 200 roll was the same as I didn't touch the metering function since buying the camera. So Matrix metering with an M lens seems fine, maybe it just defaults to Center Weight?

05-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #573
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mehanikaloptikal Quote
ajuett, like that MZ5n/FG grip/SMC-M 50 1.4/yellow filter combo very much. had identical setup, and I was really satisfied with it. until the body decided to give up just before one concert (shutter would not fire anymore) about year ago. I replaced it with MZ-S, but still miss the real wheels on modern body...
And I thought I had a unique setup Yes, with the grip this camera is probably the most comfortable I've ever handled.

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Thanks Javier for the phomment.
05-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #574
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Senior Photo" Session

Okay, okay, a slight exaggeration in the post title.

I so have a question though. Notice in both shots there is a "smear" apparently on the negatives these were scanned from? 1st photo right down Nate's chest, 2nd photo it's mid-frame on the left edge.

I'm trying to pin down what exactly is causing this so I can hopefully prevent it in the future. I see it on scans from different films, different cameras and different processors ( local pro lab and myself both ). It doesn't appear on every frame nor on every strip.

I don't know the pro lab's "process" but here is mine:
After develop/stop/fix/hypo-clear steps I do a final rinse and bath in a weak solution of Photo-Flo (1ml per gallon H20) and then squeegee before hanging. The squeegee is a *brand new* Paterson and I meticulously rinse it in the solution and then shake off the excess before applying it to the strip. After drying I cut the strip into 6 frame slices and scan them with a CanoScan 4400F and import to LR2.

What the heck causes it? Is it the Photo-Flo itself? Can it be due to the slight curl of the negs causing some distortion in the scanner? Could it be the squeegee (it is brand new and treated like surgical equipment)?

I'm going to post the same Q as its own thread but thanks in advance for any help.

05-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #575
Veteran Member

They are newton rings. I'm not sure how to get rid of them, google or wiki them.
05-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #576
Veteran Member

Yashica Electro 35 GS
DNP Centuria 200

05-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #577
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some two year old expired Fuji e-xtra 400...The colors seem over saturated but I don't know if it is the old film or if that is how this film is.
It also seems grainy. The full size images show more grain.

05-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #578
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote

I so have a question though. Notice in both shots there is a "smear" apparently on the negatives these were scanned from? 1st photo right down Nate's chest, 2nd photo it's mid-frame on the left edge.

I'm trying to pin down what exactly is causing this so I can hopefully prevent it in the future. I see it on scans from different films, different cameras and different processors ( local pro lab and myself both ). It doesn't appear on every frame nor on every strip.

I don't know the pro lab's "process" but here is mine:
After develop/stop/fix/hypo-clear steps I do a final rinse and bath in a weak solution of Photo-Flo (1ml per gallon H20) and then squeegee before hanging. The squeegee is a *brand new* Paterson and I meticulously rinse it in the solution and then shake off the excess before applying it to the strip. After drying I cut the strip into 6 frame slices and scan them with a CanoScan 4400F and import to LR2.

What the heck causes it? Is it the Photo-Flo itself? Can it be due to the slight curl of the negs causing some distortion in the scanner? Could it be the squeegee (it is brand new and treated like surgical equipment)?

I'm going to post the same Q as its own thread but thanks in advance for any help.
From my own experience, it's caused by the film touching the glass of the scanner, especially if it's curled. Of course this only applies to me using a flatbed with holders at home, but it's usually the case, and usually in the 'middle' of the photo.
05-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #579
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First roll with new MZ-7

I bought this camera last week. This is the first I've had time to shoot anything with it as I was waiting on the delivery of a lens.
No idea which settings I used because any shot I took said underexposed, in manual mode. This photo was tweaked to the correct exposure from an severally underexposed photo.
Attached Images

Last edited by photolady95; 05-18-2009 at 03:19 AM.
05-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #580
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
They are newton rings. I'm not sure how to get rid of them, google or wiki them.
QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
From my own experience, it's caused by the film touching the glass of the scanner, especially if it's curled. Of course this only applies to me using a flatbed with holders at home, but it's usually the case, and usually in the 'middle' of the photo.
Ahh. Thank you both. Now just have to figure out if there's a way to compensate/correct it with the 4400.
05-18-2009, 06:42 AM   #581
Veteran Member

Trying out slow shutter speed on a very windy day:

1959 Konica S
DNP Centuria 200
1/15 @ f22

05-18-2009, 05:20 PM   #582
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another from my MZ-7 test shoot. Changed to b/w after removing scratches. Fuji NPH 400 w/80-200mm lens.
Attached Images

05-19-2009, 05:55 AM   #583
Veteran Member

The interior of a small Buddhist temple up in the mountains:

Yashica Electro 35 GS
DNP Centuria 200

And one from a Konica S rangefinder that I bought a couple of years ago for $10 and didn't think too highly of at first. I realize now the problem was my old scanner. I decided to take the camera out to give it a chance with a much better scanner and was surprised to find that I could get the 50 year old selenium cell light meter working again....and that it is only one stop off! Easy to fix by adjusting the ISO setting. This thing has gone from being a ho-hum camera that I didn't care about all the way to now being one of my favorite cameras!

1959 Konica S @ f2.8
DNP Centuria 200
ND8 and monopod

Last edited by Mike Cash; 05-19-2009 at 07:27 AM.
05-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #584

some shots from roll of Tmax400 souped in Perceptol 1+3, taken on Sunday:

Kiev 88cm, Arsat 80/2.8

Kiev 88cm, Zodiak 30/3.5

05-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #585
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mehanikaloptikal Quote
some shots from roll of Tmax400 souped in Perceptol 1+3, taken on Sunday:
Very, very nice...Nice indeed...
T-Max is simply some amazing film. It has a uniqueness all its own...Well done!