Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #721
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
My PP skills are not good.
I know you'd rather avoid it, but any decent noise-reduction software, such as Neat Image, will fix those scans. It looks to me like chroma noise (coloured speckling) from the scanning, not the film itself. This is easily rectified, virtually without any loss of detail.

06-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #722
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
I know you'd rather avoid it, but any decent noise-reduction software, such as Neat Image, will fix those scans. It looks to me like chroma noise (coloured speckling) from the scanning, not the film itself. This is easily rectified, virtually without any loss of detail.
Thank you. I have heard of Neat Image. I will take a look.
06-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #723
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Agnostic Quote
Thanks a lot guys! I'm really enjoying shooting in the evening, and I'm very happy with the results I get from pushing Fomapan 400.

I like the Chinatown shots jg, but boy, is that fuji 800 grainy!

And a few more pushed Fomapan. ( I can't stop)
Your shots are quite inspirational .

It just goes to show, its all in "The Eye": you can find subject matter everywhere: if you can only "see" it.

Great, thanks.
06-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #724
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A while back, I had made a comment on a different thread that I felt it was a waste of money to buy black and white film because with Color film, you can simply convert it. Well I was wrong about that. There is a difference. A huge difference. Anyway, I really am Liking the Ilford films.

Here are a couple three.
Ilford xp2 400, SP2 with Super Tak 35F/3.5

06-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #725
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A while back, I had made a comment on a different thread that I felt it was a waste of money to buy black and white film because with Color film, you can simply convert it. Well I was wrong about that. There is a difference. A huge difference. Anyway, I really am Liking the Ilford films.
I recall seeing that post and biting my tongue (err, keyboard).

If I'm going to shoot C41 B&W, XP2 is my choice. BW400CN does a good job and is much easier to get, but XP2 just has a higher quality feel.

So now that you have a taste you gotta go for the real deal and get some genuine silver halide. It's like the difference between a can of Coke from the vending machine and a fresh fountain draft. Of course, then you're gonna want to start processing your own film too because there's nothing quite as sweet as hanging fresh negs up to dry...
06-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #726
Veteran Member

One of the only reasons to shoot film IMO is black and white. Back in the days when there was only film, I was with Javier's original statement. The reason is I was shooting film as my only option and then scanning it. Today film is a choice, and black and white has it's own character. Of course Provia 100F does look great on 645.

No desire to process black and white, as easy as it is I'm sure, processing E6 is about as hard as I like. And yeah, seeing those Fuji Chromes hanging to dry is a magical thing!

06-04-2009, 02:37 AM   #727
Veteran Member

Mountain Vision, number two is a masterpiece!

06-04-2009, 05:11 AM   #728
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
Mountain Vision, number two is a masterpiece!
I have to agree that is a very strong shot.
06-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #729
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Banjo Quote
Your shots are quite inspirational .

It just goes to show, its all in "The Eye": you can find subject matter everywhere: if you can only "see" it.

Great, thanks.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote

If I'm going to shoot C41 B&W, XP2 is my choice. BW400CN does a good job and is much easier to get, but XP2 just has a higher quality feel.

So now that you have a taste you gotta go for the real deal and get some genuine silver halide. It's like the difference between a can of Coke from the vending machine and a fresh fountain draft. Of course, then you're gonna want to start processing your own film too because there's nothing quite as sweet as hanging fresh negs up to dry...
There are tonalities of certain b&w films that you simply don't get through pp. And regarding hanging up negs to dry, I second that. It's a lot of fun!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
One of the only reasons to shoot film IMO is black and white. Back in the days when there was only film, I was with Javier's original statement. The reason is I was shooting film as my only option and then scanning it. Today film is a choice, and black and white has it's own character. Of course Provia 100F does look great on 645.

No desire to process black and white, as easy as it is I'm sure, processing E6 is about as hard as I like. And yeah, seeing those Fuji Chromes hanging to dry is a magical thing!
I like that first shot.
And how can you say processing b&w is hard? Get some diafine with a suitable film and it's as easy as it gets!

Here's some Rollei Retro 100 (Agfa APX 100) in Amaloco AM74:

06-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #730
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote

Oh, please, when I am out in left field, let me know. I am wrong far more often than I am right I am dogmatic in very few things..I have no problem admitting when I am wrong.

There really is a difference.
06-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #731
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote

This is a masterpiece Justin!.
06-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #732
Veteran Member

Oh, please, when I am out in left field, let me know. I am wrong far more often than I am right I am dogmatic in very few things..I have no problem admitting when I am wrong.

There really is a difference.
Sometimes words won't convince even the most hopeful of listener. Sometimes you just gotta experience it for yourself.

Heck, 30-odd years ago when my dad first put a camera in my hands I *couldn't wait* for the day he'd let me put a cartridge of "real film" (color) into my instamatic. Now in my fourties, I look forward to every frame of B&W that comes out of my two film bodies.

Sometimes I wish I'd taken photography more seriously as a kid and wonder what might have happened if I had. But in the end I am who I am and I learned everything I have in life because of the path I took and I wouldn't want to change that even if I could.
06-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #733
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Guys.
I posted this in the street thread, but wanted to post it here also.

Here is perhaps one of my most favorite captures. I took this On Monday while packing my gear to go home. I looked out the back window of my truck anD there it was. A perfectly framed image that shows the joy of a couple in love

I took this with my Spotmatic SP2, super tak 35F/3.5 and Ilford XP-2 400 film.
06-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #734
Forum Member

Talking about the right moment, the right place and the right exposure...!!! WOW!!

I like the grains, too.

Hi Guys.
I posted this in the street thread, but wanted to post it here also.

Here is perhaps one of my most favorite captures. I took this On Monday while packing my gear to go home. I looked out the back window of my truck anD there it was. A perfectly framed image that shows the joy of a couple in love

I took this with my Spotmatic SP2, super tak 35F/3.5 and Ilford XP-2 400 film.
06-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #735
Veteran Member

Ilford HP5 Plus 400

Shot with LX,FA31 and M-150mm.

Cheers,

Luc