Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #1216
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
A few more from the series above.

And some multi and I mean as in over 10 million dollar homes.

To see the complete album, click on link.
jgredline : photos : Malibu Beach, Los Angeles

08-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #1217

A couple from Sydney; K1000, M 50 1.7, HP5.

I love the water stains on the last one. That said I can't wait until I'm equipped to do my own development.
08-11-2009, 05:36 AM   #1218
Inactive Account

@ Steve: I'm glad it helped you chill down a bit. So it was a "digital" thread, huh?
@ I Love Verdi: "Current Lust Object: FA 31mm 1.8 LTD" Geeeezzz I know I dream of it too!

In the meantime, here's some more from Croatia.

Enter Old City of Zadar (Pentax ME Super, M 50 / 1.4, Kodak Gold 200):

Enter Dubrovnik (Pentax ME Super, Vivitar 28 / f2.8, Kodak Gold 200):
08-11-2009, 07:10 AM   #1219
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Kodak Ultramax 400, SMC-A 28/2.8, Program Plus

08-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #1220
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
You guys are bike savvy DO you have another addiction on top of LBA - BBA?

Cheers,

Luc
How did you know The saying goes something like this: "How many bikes do I need? One more than what I've got"

Here's my daily contribution: PZ1P, Tamron 28-75/2.8, HP5.

What scan settings are you guys using? I recently increased to 2400dpi on my cheapo Epson V500 flatbed, I think the results were better at 600 or 1200. Thoughts?
08-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #1221
Veteran Member

In Brugge....

08-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #1222
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again to Steve for his Ektar 100 testing, I have been pretty happy with my results. These I shot a full stop over. The reds seem natural now and it makes a good people film. True, it did loose some richness, so I suspect the right setup is in the middle, perhaps a 1/2 stop or so.
Pentax ME SUPER, M40F/2.8, EKTAR 100

Last edited by jgredline; 08-14-2009 at 10:06 AM.
08-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #1223
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, i did notice a tendency to produce halos, but not sure if it was the over exposer or the scanning.
08-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #1224
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
Javier

its been awhile now that ive been seeing your film work

i dont know who does your processing and scanning, but i suggest you either find someone else, or invest into your own scanner.

every single one of your photos is over-contrasted, has really poor DR, with lots of blow-outs and a general look of "low quality jpeg", which could only be explained by poor scanning efforts.

that is all.

:ugh:
Gooshin,

I think Javier has his own scanner...

Steve
08-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #1225
Veteran Member

this is why i bother with film, not a single spec of white, and you can still perfectly see the texture in the stone, this type of shot would bend over any DSLR.

Last edited by Gooshin; 08-14-2009 at 09:49 AM.
08-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #1226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Memories 200 film, Ricoh ff-3
08-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #1227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Gooshin, do you have a post (or posts) somewhere here on the forums where you discuss your approach to scanning, or perhaps some suggested reading? I'm just getting started with an Epson V500 and I'm still reading up and trying to figure out what I can accomplish with it.

It's going to take years to get through the backlog but I've got thousands of frames of sports and stage photos (mostly on the cheapest film I could find at the time) sitting around the house, plus 20 years of my Dad's slides and another 20 of negative film to sort through.
08-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #1228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Hey Gooshin, do you have a post (or posts) somewhere here on the forums where you discuss your approach to scanning, or perhaps some suggested reading? I'm just getting started with an Epson V500 and I'm still reading up and trying to figure out what I can accomplish with it.

It's going to take years to get through the backlog but I've got thousands of frames of sports and stage photos (mostly on the cheapest film I could find at the time) sitting around the house, plus 20 years of my Dad's slides and another 20 of negative film to sort through.
i dont have a single post per se', just various nit picks here and there with regards to usage and what not.

there are a number of things to realize.

1. limitation of hardware, dedicated film scanners are better than flatbed scanners, their output is smaller in size and better in quality. However in the long run they are much more tedious to use. (and expensive)

2. software, there are a bunch of software, each interacts with scanners differently. Some is free (or comes with your scanner), some can be easily pirated (like VueScan), and some is impossible to steal, and costs an arm and a leg (like silverfast).

each software would take quite a bit to learn, small parameter adjustments could impact final output, i would definetly recomend settling with a particular scanning software, learning its pros/cons before going off scanning whole batches, otherwise you might desire to re-scan some thing mid way through!

3. input, always scan at native DPI, if the scanner is labeled as a 12000 dpi scanner, you scan at that setting (even though the reality is that the output is not really 12000 dpi.... )

4. output, i pretty much output at the maximum, full bit depth, full specturm, no compression, etc. The 4000 DPI scan my scanner makes, is a 130 MB tiff, which then process like any other photo using lightroom, i do not let scanning software do the jpeg conversion, much like i dont trust my digital camera to do the jpeg conversion for me.

overall its a tedious process, good luck.

Last edited by Gooshin; 08-11-2009 at 02:37 PM.
08-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #1229
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote

I'm also curious about this. I have a V500 as well and don't really like what I'm getting out of it. I scan using the Epson software at 2400 dpi for 35mm, 1200 dpi for MF to TIFF files, and then continue on in CS2/CS4. Sometimes the output is okay, other times not. It's mainly the lack of contrast that kills me. I can fix dust particles and scratches just fine in PS.

Lastly, I'd hate to be in Steinback's shoes. Scanning negs is up there with scrubbing bathrooms on my wish list. It's so tedious.
08-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #1230
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
I'm also curious about this. I have a V500 as well and don't really like what I'm getting out of it. I scan at 2400 dpi for 35mm, 1200 dpi for MF to TIFF files, and then continue on in CS2/CS4. Sometimes the output is okay, other times not.

Lastly, I'd hate to be in Steinback's shoes. Scanning negs is up there with scrubbing bathrooms on my wish list. It's so tedious.
i just googled the V500, it says its a 6400 DPI scanner.

that is the only setting you should be scanning at, and at maximum bit depth that your software allows.

yes, your files are going to be HUUUGEEE, but such is life.

also, how clean are you keeping the surface, remember flatbed scanners = glass between the film and the scanning element, this will always mean some form of reduced clarity and contrast.