Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #1441
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
These are Walgreen scans and processing...The Reds in particular seem to be over saturated.
Agfa 400, SP2, Super Tak 35f/3.5

a 60% crop

Last edited by jgredline; 09-22-2009 at 08:46 AM.
09-22-2009, 08:46 AM   #1442
Veteran Member

Original Poster
09-22-2009, 02:15 PM   #1443
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Javier, nice to see you back here with some new offerings <g>. I was beginning to jones for a fix from the left coast. I always enjoy the sense of place your photos have. BTW, B&W scan in your previous post looked great. How are you liking the new scanner? I'm in the market for one, but not really sure what I want or how much of a financial commitment I'm willing to make on it. If I put the funds into a scanner, it means a longer wait for a lens (or something else).

Egl, I really enjoyed the B&Ws and was pretty impressed with your K20 digitizing method. Nice to see some pics from the homeland of my forebears (great-grandparents emigrated to the US of A) and I particularly liked the sheep. Bring 'em back.

Best to you both,
Kevin

Last edited by KJon; 09-22-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Egl's pics magically reappeared.
09-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #1444
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Javier, nice to see you back here with some new offerings <g>. I was beginning to jones for a fix from the left coast. I always enjoy the sense of place your photos have. BTW, B&W scan in your previous post looked great. How are you liking the new scanner? I'm in the market for one, but not really sure what I want or how much of a financial commitment I'm willing to make on it. If I put the funds into a scanner, it means a longer wait for a lens (or something else).
Thank you. I have not used the new set up since that last scan, but I am going to re-scan these last ones. On my monitor they look way over saturated. Is that the case on your monitor as well. The monitor I have at work is not calibrated and so I wonder. I have yet to get a good result form AGFA film..Not once.

09-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #1445
Veteran Member

Yeah, a little over-saturated, but that's part of their charm.

I'm really fond of this one...

Ultramax 400, K1000, M50 1.7

...so I may not be the best guy to ask .

Regards,
Kevin
09-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #1446
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, a little over-saturated, but that's part of their charm.

I'm really fond of this one...

Ultramax 400, K1000, M50 1.7

...so I may not be the best guy to ask .

Regards,
Kevin
Yes I agree. I love that Velvia 50 look, but mine looked some what over cooked to me.
09-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #1447
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are two rescans. Right to gray scale.

09-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #1448
Veteran Member

Takes care of the saturation issue pretty handily . Amazing what B&W will do to the tenor of a photograph...

Best,
Kevin
09-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #1449
Veteran Member

1959 Konica S
DNP Centuria 200
Linear Polarizer & ND8

09-23-2009, 02:50 AM   #1450
Egl

Egl, I really enjoyed the B&Ws and was pretty impressed with your K20 digitizing method. Nice to see some pics from the homeland of my forebears (great-grandparents emigrated to the US of A) and I particularly liked the sheep. Bring 'em back.

Best to you both,
Kevin
Thanks for your comment. This method of digitizing does work well. I put up a 6MP picture as well so you see how the real resolution actually is.

http://folk.ntnu.no/eigilh/bilder/bergen/pf/IMGP4849-4.jpg

The limits of the method is probably that I have no means of keeping the negatives completly flat right now, so they might get abit out of focus for the macro lens. That lens' sharpness is probably good for more. I do wonder how this is compared to a proper negative scanner.

And nice to hear from a far distant relative. All is well here and the weather is nice (when its not raining). The first pictures were from the city Bergen and this last one from Trondheim.

Last edited by Egl; 09-23-2009 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Figuring out the link formatting.
09-23-2009, 03:55 AM   #1451
Veteran Member

Egl, Thanks for the 6MP post and the weather report. Rained every other day here in June and July which sort of cut into my photography.

While I don't have a K20D, I do have a K10D, and I may give your method a shot. I'm currently using an HP flatbed scanner with mixed results...

ME Super, Fuji Sensia 100...

ME Super, Fuji 400...

These are resized for the web, but the originals aren't a whole lot better <g>. (Black spots in the first shot are the result of some sketchy processing, although I'm sure there's plenty of dust in there as well). As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm looking for a better scanning solution. The real issue for me is cost/benefit and how good is good enough? I'm only really interested in digitizing stuff for sharing. For printing purposes, I'd have a professional scan done anyway. And then there's the time factor...this HP is reaaallly slllloooowww. In the meanwhile, I've been using lab scans (lo-res), but then we're looking at the continually added expense to every roll...

These are the circles my brain is spinning in. Sounds like it's time to break out the K10D, some cardboard, and a desklamp. Thanks for putting the thought in my head.

All the best,
Kevin

P. S. I'm really happy with the print the second one generated...as I am with most of the negatives I've scanned. The prints were the thing that led me to scan the negatives in the first place.

Last edited by KJon; 09-23-2009 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Add a post-script
09-23-2009, 04:43 AM   #1452
Egl

These are the circles my brain is spinning in. Sounds like it's time to break out the K10D, some cardboard, and a desklamp. Thanks for putting the thought in my head.
Alright, good luck! I will explain better how I did this then. I took a few photos of the setup. Its very very crude but it works. (I just post the links to the photos to not pollute this fine thread too much).

http://folk.ntnu.no/eigilh/bilder/bergen/pf/IMGP4926.jpg
http://folk.ntnu.no/eigilh/bilder/bergen/pf/IMGP4927.jpg
http://folk.ntnu.no/eigilh/bilder/bergen/pf/IMGP4928.jpg

Photographing the negatives directly against a lamp wont work. The light bulb is not an even light. So thats why I use the cardboard box as some kind of diffusor. Then I have no direct light and only bounced light. Also I lined the box with some printing paper. So I just put the negative over the hole in the box and take a photo down there.

A 60 watt tungsten bulb is no good. That get too warm for the negatives so they curl up from the heat. Im glad they got stright again after cooling down. So some modern kind of fluorocent bulb is probably much better.

Then of course the digitized photos must be processed digitally. For BW it seems ok to simply invert it and desaturate. And in the end ajdust contrasts/tones. It might be more complex with colour negatives, but I suppose it works with the right software.

I did see someone else do something similar but I could not find a link to what I read. Its a while since I read it. This guy used a K100D and a 100 mm macro lens I believe. And a bit more proper setup really. I wish I could find the link to that again but no luck. Perhaps someone can help?
09-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #1453

Tri-X 400, the morning after last week's typhoon:

09-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #1454
Zav
Pentaxian

A picture of "La Monnaie de Paris", Provia 100, cross processing.
09-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #1455
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Egl Quote
Alright, good luck! I will explain better how I did this then. I took a few photos of the setup. Its very very crude but it works. (I just post the links to the photos to not pollute this fine thread too much).

http://folk.ntnu.no/eigilh/bilder/bergen/pf/IMGP4926.jpg
http://folk.ntnu.no/eigilh/bilder/bergen/pf/IMGP4927.jpg
http://folk.ntnu.no/eigilh/bilder/bergen/pf/IMGP4928.jpg

Photographing the negatives directly against a lamp wont work. The light bulb is not an even light. So thats why I use the cardboard box as some kind of diffusor. Then I have no direct light and only bounced light. Also I lined the box with some printing paper. So I just put the negative over the hole in the box and take a photo down there.

A 60 watt tungsten bulb is no good. That get too warm for the negatives so they curl up from the heat. Im glad they got stright again after cooling down. So some modern kind of fluorocent bulb is probably much better.

Then of course the digitized photos must be processed digitally. For BW it seems ok to simply invert it and desaturate. And in the end ajdust contrasts/tones. It might be more complex with colour negatives, but I suppose it works with the right software.

I did see someone else do something similar but I could not find a link to what I read. Its a while since I read it. This guy used a K100D and a 100 mm macro lens I believe. And a bit more proper setup really. I wish I could find the link to that again but no luck. Perhaps someone can help?
Egl, thanks a lot for the photos - really gives me a sense of your setup - not exactly what I had envisioned so the pics are a big help. Also thanks for the headsup on the heat of the bulb. CFL may be the way to go. Looks like there may be a good use for those damned things after all. Re the post-processing; figured that was a foregone conclusion as the negative would need to be inverted at the very least

And just to keep the motif of the thread alive...

ME Super, TriX, Sigma 20mm f1.8 (lab scan)

Best,
Kevin