]
OK, I give up...This is brilliant!
10-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #1519

Nam Long Shan, Southern District, Hong Kong

(Pentax MZ-7, FA 50mm f/1.4, Tri-X 400)

10-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #1520
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Always wanted to try some black and white film again, but hadn't got chance until last Friday. I took my LX and M35/2.8 to the street, shot two rolls of cheap China made b&w film, sent to a shop to develop and scan. Got the results out one day after. Here are some of them, all just resized, no other process down, not even sharpening.

There are a lot more, but all the rest are probably not as interesting as these.

You can see that I like to take street people photos, I do think b&w film is probably a better way to take photos of those street peoples w/ dark skins (Indians, Malays and etc...)

Last edited by frank; 10-14-2009 at 09:35 AM.
10-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #1521
Inactive Account

Jeez, JG, weren't you asking for tips a few months back?
10-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #1522
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have some very impressive shots here!

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote

Fine portrait, placing him in his work environment, fince composition and I like the BW contrast and fine details in both ends of the greyscale. Nice eye-contact.

Interresting work sitiation with surroundings. The girl the the background makes the pic more interresting. She looks at you, but the other two are deep into the henna-paingting (?).

Very nice eye-contact. She could be worth shooting more. I would maybe crop a little to get a more tight composition. Despite a caotic background you have isolated her well.

Classical portrait well composed. Could have been a little sharper?

You are good at capturing the work-situation, here a teacher and her children, where she have their full attention. Again, well composed. Considering that the background is sharp, it would have been better to have her in focus and the background OOF.

Fun picture. What is the guy in the background doing?

Nice how you captured his head so sharp despite the long exposure time. Perhaps some cropping right and left? Square format?

The way only the lady in the middle is perfectly sharp and the others a bit OOF make her stand out (also she is a bit pale) so that her face and here praying is the focus of the picture. Nice thinking!

10-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #1523
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow...I have been away for about a week and look at all the very nice film shots!

I had a roll of Ektar 100 processed last week that had been languishing in my Olympus XA for about nine months. I knew that there were several snow pictures towards the beginning of the roll, but had forgotten that some of them might be good enough to share.

Cold Meadow

Olympus XA, Ektar 100

Cold Meadow 2

Olympus XA, Ektar 100

A shaft of light...

Olympus XA, Ektar 100

Steve
10-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #1524
Veteran Member

Beautiful winter shooting - I had a suspicion Ektar would be good for this.
10-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #1525

Stevebrot, those are stunning. I especially love the first of the three, it's so soft and ethereal. Keep it up!
10-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #1526
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you Nesster and jzeitman. Yes, Ektar is good with snow scenes. What I find pleasing about the above shots is that they illustrate the primary maxim of landscape photography. You have to be there and have a capable camera to get the image.

I was out snowshoeing with friends and intentionally left the serious camera gear at home. As we shuffled about and had a good time, the light and clouds started to develop in magical ways. The XA was in my pocket and all I had to do was compose, focus, and shoot. Thanks to the magic of film scanned to digital, I was able to do a little PP to add a few final adjustments to get something close to the original visualization.

Steve
10-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #1527
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Nice work steve. When ever I use Ektar 100 or see it on the shelf at samy's I think of you and these images are reason why
10-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #1528
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
fishing in the tide pools.
Tri-x 400

10-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #1529
Veteran Member

Wow. No shortage of inspiration here:

Dadiluna, I'm still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor;great street shooting here and on the other page. Javier's only half right - harbor scene is a killer, but I'm not going to give up. I'm going to keep shooting 'til I get one like that .

Javier, nice to see you shooting your ME Super again and with Tri-X. Lithos is right - you are all over Tri-X. (Took a look at your blog...keep up the good work). I can see you've been busy. I've been missing you around here, though, even if you're shooting that Canon AE .

Frank, you look as good in B&W as you do in color. Always a treat to see your pics.

Lithos - who won? the horse or the truck?

Steve, you and Nesster keep me busy googling cameras. Olympus XA looks great (as does Ektar and your shooting of it). I've been meaning to shoot another roll but B&W and faster films keep getting in the way.

Went out on World Pentax Day and bagged my limit <g>. Dusted off the K10D (which has been largely unused all summer), but had a banner day with the ME Super, too. Shot a roll of Kodak Ultramax 400. Had I had the film processed, I would have posted 3 film shots and let the digital ones languish <G>.

Shot a Fireman's Memorial in Manchester (CT) and didn't get to post one on the WPD gallery as I had already posted my three). I'll post a couple here:

ME Super, M50 1.7 Kodak UltraMax 400

Shot some Mill Buildings that have been converted to housing; I posted the digital shots, but should have held out for the film.

Best to all,
Kevin

Last edited by KJon; 10-18-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Gotta learn to type one of these days
10-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #1530
Veteran Member

Pentax KX + smc-M PENTAX 50 f4 macro

i forgot about teh film either fuji or kodak 200