Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #2161
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Swift1, at least we're not in NY, NJ, Philadelphia or DC today <g>. Wonder how Nesster's doing in Jersey. Ended up going to a lecture/seminar on tintypes (photos ca. 1853 - emulsion on metal plates). Stuff has an ISO of 4 <g>, which of course ends up being variable because the emulsion is spread by hand (and gravity) so the emulsion is thicker in some places than others on the metal plate. Anyhoo, makes one grateful for all them modren conveniences . When you finish up that medium format Acros, be sure and post back here. I'll be looking forward to it.

Best,
Kevin

02-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #2162
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Nesster, aaaw, shucks, you're going to make me blush <g>. Many thanks for the compliment - it means a lot coming from you. On the humility side, it was a 36 exposure roll and I sure as hell wouldn't post all 36 <g>. Should also tip my hat to my lab as well. Those guys are really great.

I think I screwed up when I tagged those files. I'm pretty sure it was the M28 f3.5 although the tag may read M50 f1.7. I'll have to go back and check.

Again, thanks for the warm fuzzy - beats a sharp stick in the eye any day of the week.

Best,
Kevin
Another Kudo for tha Acros shots. Really puts the PX and TMX counterparts to shame.
02-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #2163
Veteran Member

For some older fine grain film, Agfapan 25 circa 1986. Pentax LX.

02-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #2164
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

My mother holding her great grandson. Yesterday was her birthday. She passed away last year, 3 days before her birthday. Kind of missing her this week...

Olympus OM-4, 50mm f1.2, Agfa APX 25. Processed in home darkroom, film scanned on Epson V700.

02-07-2010, 04:18 AM   #2165
Veteran Member

Swift1, at least we're not in NY, NJ, Philadelphia or DC today <g>. Wonder how Nesster's doing in Jersey. Ended up going to a lecture/seminar on tintypes (photos ca. 1853 - emulsion on metal plates). Stuff has an ISO of 4 <g>, which of course ends up being variable because the emulsion is spread by hand (and gravity) so the emulsion is thicker in some places than others on the metal plate. Anyhoo, makes one grateful for all them modren conveniences . When you finish up that medium format Acros, be sure and post back here. I'll be looking forward to it.

Best,
Kevin
Heh, we were lied to, up in the NYC latitudes - we got zero snow. South of us however...

The tintype stuff sounds great.
02-07-2010, 04:55 AM   #2166
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
For some older fine grain film, Agfapan 25 circa 1986. Pentax LX.
Great shot!
02-07-2010, 05:11 AM   #2167
Veteran Member

Another Kudo for tha Acros shots. Really puts the PX and TMX counterparts to shame.
Gene, thanks for commenting. Saw you mention Acros over in the Medium Format forum- I'll keep my eyes peeled for your pics over there. The Agfapan 25 above is wild.

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

My mother holding her great grandson. Yesterday was her birthday. She passed away last year, 3 days before her birthday. Kind of missing her this week...

Olympus OM-4, 50mm f1.2, Agfa APX 25. Processed in home darkroom, film scanned on Epson V700.
Jeff, I was out at my folks yesterday and on their mantle is a shot of my grandfather with my nephew (his great-grandson) taken shortly before he passed. Your shot reminded me of it. There is something indescribably profound about seeing the very old and the very young frozen together in time. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm missing my grandfather, too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Heh, we were lied to, up in the NYC latitudes - we got zero snow. South of us however...

The tintype stuff sounds great.
Nesster, glad the weather treated you OK. Based on what I heard from the meteorologists here, you would have thought the world was coming to an end. I appreciate the irony in metro NY dodging the bullet. Seminar was kind of interesting in that it paired modern technology with the old - prof had take a digital file, converted it to a positive transparency (color) and made a contact print. Also did a transparency of the same file in B&W and did another contact print. Despite the tintype being B&W, the emulsion reacts stronger to some colors of light, so there was a difference in the resulting tintypes. Also put one of the treated plates in a field camera and took a photo. Part of it ended up severely over-exposed and part was bang on. In terms of creating an image from scratch, I'm not sold on the process. However as an interesting treatment of an existing image, it appealed to me.

Best to all,
Kevin

Last edited by KJon; 02-07-2010 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Needed to include more info.
02-07-2010, 06:43 AM   #2168
Veteran Member

Pentax ME Super, Pentax M 28/2.8, Maco UP 400 plus developed in Amaloco AM74

Last edited by Agnostic; 02-07-2010 at 07:01 AM.
02-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #2169
Veteran Member

Gene, thanks for commenting. Saw you mention Acros over in the Medium Format forum- I'll keep my eyes peeled for your pics over there. The Agfapan 25 above is wild.
Thanks. APX 25 has a creamy, almost large-format quality. It takes a sunny day to get this (and KM25) to 1/125 at F/8, but the results are great. I haven't shot the Acros yet, but I'm looking forward to it. The Acros shots posted here have a really special quality, but it could be the photographers!

The shot I posted of the VLA antennas took more cleanup work than any film scan I've made. Large expanses of dark, fine grain showed every minute hint of dust in the air on the day I processed this. Tri-X and TMY 400 scans don't seem to show the tiny lint flecks in the scans, probably because of their grain. It may also be that the thicker emulsions aren't as susceptible to embedded dirt during processing. However the slightest speck seems to jump out of the frame in TMX 100 and the Agfapan 25. Acros may be the same. I've printed these negs up to 16X20, without noticing the dirt, but the scanner reveals all.
02-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #2170
Veteran Member

Pentax MX, TMX 100:

02-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #2171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Agnostic Quote
Pentax ME Super, Pentax M 28/2.8, Maco UP 400 plus developed in Amaloco AM74
Those are great street shots. I don't know in which city those were shot, but they really capture a feeling I've had in Amsterdam.
02-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #2172
Veteran Member

Those are great street shots. I don't know in which city those were shot, but they really capture a feeling I've had in Amsterdam.
Thanks! You're close. These were shot in Leiden which is about 25 miles south of Amsterdam.

That last TMX 100 shot is excellent by the way.

Tri-X that expired 25 years ago. Pulled to 200 iso and developed in Amaloco AM74 (Rollei RHS)

02-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #2173
Veteran Member

Agnostic, nice to see you posting (and shooting with an ME Super again). Looking at your photos is always an education in B&W. Did you get your old ME Super fixed or is this a new camera? Also, see your shooting the M28, f2.8. I have the f3.5. Do you know if there's a lot of difference between the two? (and don't say "half a stop <g>")

Best,
Kevin

P. S. That Tri-X doesn't look any the worse for its age. Thinking about age a lot as tomorrow's my father's 73rd Birthday.

Last edited by KJon; 02-07-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Add P. S.
02-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #2174
Veteran Member

Agnostic, nice to see you posting (and shooting with an ME Super again). Looking at your photos is always an education in B&W. Did you get your old ME Super fixed or is this a new camera? Also, see your shooting the M28, f2.8. I have the f3.5. Do you know if there's a lot of difference between the two? (and don't say "half a stop <g>")

Best,
Kevin

P. S. That Tri-X doesn't look any the worse for its age. Thinking about age a lot as tomorrow's my father's 73rd Birthday.
Don't know how it compares to the 3.5, but the M28/2.8 was the lens used for my TMX 100 shot, above.
02-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #2175
Veteran Member

What a superb series, atmosphere in spades... it's hard to pick a favorite, maybe #5 for the line of white buoys (?) but 1,3,4 three kill also. Not that the others are any slouches...