Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #2266
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
@Kjon...Yes, I am rolling my own Rollei Retro 100. I think that is about the only way you can get it (memo to self...order another 100' roll...).
Steve
I use to live in Portland. I liked it there. I still have about 175 feet left of Panatomic-X. If I shot my K1000 or ME Super more, I'd maybe have something more to post with it.

A blast from the past, 135 Pan-X!

Anything for a shot. I had to step on the cat's tail and jump in front of it to capture the moment, lol.

Last edited by tuco; 02-19-2010 at 01:45 PM.
02-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #2267
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Is this a fair statement?

As I look through this thread, it seems to me that the film images are flat better than the digital files. Perhaps I am smoking crack or something. They just seem better to me...The photos are simply beautiful.
02-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #2268
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gene, thanks for the kind words and cogent observation on Tuco and Agnostic.

Tuco, should have figured you'd be as good in 35mm as you are in medium format <g>...great shot of your cat.

Javier, I don't think you're nuts, but I'm not sure if better is the right adjective. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole film thing; actually the whole imaging thing, and I feel I'm getting closer to some answers that work for me. Upshot is that film has a warmer look to my eye and is less "edgy", somehow it's more organic (to further abuse an already abused word). Nobody was more "sold" on digital than I. I didn't care for photography much in my twenties and digital reaaally turned me on in a way that film never did initially. Now since I started shooting film, it's all I want to do <g>. Ultimately both media are "artificial", but the imperfections of film seem to make it more real, at least to my eye.

Best,
Kevin
02-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #2269
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Kevin, I was a loss for the right adj. I believe you describe it pretty well.

02-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #2270
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
As I look through this thread, it seems to me that the film images are flat better than the digital files. Perhaps I am smoking crack or something. They just seem better to me...The photos are simply beautiful.
The beauty of B&W film has not been duplicated in digits. Looking at my old B&W and the terrific examples on this forum inspired me to get my film bodies back in shape. Now, if I could just turn loose from my digital lenses.

02-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #2271
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I use to live in Portland. I liked it there. I still have about 175 feet left of Panatomic-X. If I shot my K1000 or ME Super more, I'd maybe have something more to post with it.
...Ummmmm...Pan-X...

That used to be my film of choice. With FG-7, I could retain the fine grain, double the speed, and still get full detail in the shadows...

...pity they don't make it anymore!

Steve
02-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #2272
Veteran Member

Gene, nice shot and I'm actually liking the vignette. Not sure if I've posted this one before, but the whole "outdoor machinery" thing reminded me of it. Also not sure what this thing actually does <g>. Looks like a millstone, but where's the mill? Do you know what yours does?

K1000, M28 f3.5, Tri-X

Best,
Kevin

Last edited by KJon; 02-17-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: It's those 4 letter words like "mill" that are the hardest to spell.
02-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #2273
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Gene, nice shot and I'm actually liking the vignette. Not sure if I've posted this one before, but the whole "outdoor machinery" thing reminded me of it. Also not sure what this thing actually does <g>. Looks like a millstone, but where's the mill? Do you know what yours does?

K1000, M28 f3.5, Tri-X

Best,
Kevin
Nice. That does look like a mill.

I'm also liking the vignette. It is a bit like an older fisheye without the distortion.

Mine is an irrigation ditch not far from my house. The wheels open the gates to let water on the various properties. Some of these watering systems in New Mexico actually go back three hundred years. On this one I waited for a jogger. It was a gorgeous day, and there were more people than usual out and about. (A little bird poop adds some contrast).

02-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #2274
Veteran Member

Gene, nice TONE you got there. Kevin, ditto. These remind me of the Muddy Waters song: Can't get no grinding (what's the matter with the wheel)

BW400CN, ZX-10, DA 70

02-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #2275
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Tuco, should have figured you'd be as good in 35mm as you are in medium format <g>...great shot of your cat.
Thanks, KJon. But bear in mind, I'm only showing my better shots. I have an ample supply of rejects too.
02-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #2276
Veteran Member

So are the rest of us
02-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #2277
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Man, I turn my back for a second and there's a whole new bunch of nice shots!

@MeFirstO, Stevebrot, KJon, Nesster, GeneV & tuco Great work guys, this thread is getting better and better!

QuoteQuote:
I agree (that the pictures are good, not that you're smoking crack ) and I think there are a few reasons for that:

1. Dynamic range & dynamic range distribution: film still wins out against digital on tone and tonal range.

2. I think it is easier (at least it is to me) to really focus on a shot and get it right with film gear because knowing you have only so many shots on a roll of film helps to slow you down and really focus on getting the shot right.
It also helps me because I don't want to waste film on shots I don't think will work. With digital I may just make many of those "wasted" shots anyway, thinking it's basically free to press the shutter but the thing is it's not because it entices you to take only half a look before shooting, scattering your attention and making you lose (mental ) focus.

Rolleicord Vb, Fuji Provia 400X:

02-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #2278
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Gene, nice TONE you got there. Kevin, ditto. These remind me of the Muddy Waters song: Can't get no grinding (what's the matter with the wheel)

BW400CN, ZX-10, DA 70
The tone in your is similar to mine, since it was on the same film. I have very mixed feelings about that film, though. It scans beautifully, but it requires a great deal of punching up. My first love is traditional B&W.
02-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #2279
Veteran Member

Agnostic, I really like the perspective you get from a camera shot at waist-level. For some of my shots on the irrigation ditch above, I would bend or crouch down to simulate that on an SLR. I'm pretty tall at 6'3" (That's probably about average in Leiden) so getting a lower perspective with an SLR is not so easy.
02-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #2280
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Nesster, that's the problem with this thread...there's too many good shots and some pass by without comment (like your horse carriage in Central Park - have I raved about your Bessa lately?) Likin' the loading dock <Holy Alliteration, Batman> and BW400CN. I'm really happy with my last roll of it and it's a good thing 'cause I bought a box o' three rolls and still have another one left over here at the house. I've heard you guys rave about the Ilford XP2, but I don't see it as being a whole lot better or worse than Kodak's product.

QuoteQuote:
Thanks, KJon. But bear in mind, I'm only showing my better shots. I have an ample supply of rejects too.
QuoteQuote:
So are the rest of us
LOL! So we're all human. I put my 4X6s in albums where I can view them one at a time - the rejects I leave in a pile on top of the latest album. Good thing I don't have to buy an album for them; the pile is getting pretty deep.

@Agnostic, OK, I've given the quote button enough of a workout. Great comments on film vs. digital from both a technical and artistic perspective. Toughest college course (and most worthwhile) I ever took was a grad level course in musical aesthetics, but that was (and is) a vocabulary I'm very fluent in. The whole visual thing is a fairly recent phenomenon in my life. I'm very appreciative of anything that helps me wrap my head around what I'm doing with a camera and more importantly, why I'm doing it. I really enjoyed your most recent color posts - same type of photos, atmosphere and subjects as your previous B&Ws. Great for me as a noob to compare the strenghths of each. Bravo! Remind me never to bitch about the weather in regards to photography again .

QuoteQuote:
The tone in your is similar to mine, since it was on the same film. I have very mixed feelings about that film, though. It scans beautifully, but it requires a great deal of punching up. My first love is traditional B&W.
Gene, see comments on C-41 B&W above. I'm really grateful for BW400CN as it's more readily available than traditional B&W and it goes without saying that it's easier to get it processed (for those of us who don't yet develop our own film). I was thinking it really saved my bacon a week back on a grey day that I thought was too bleak for color. Now after seeing Agnostic's shots, I'm not so sure...

Best to all,
Kevin