Show Printable Version 43038 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #2326
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

02-23-2010, 02:22 AM   #2327
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That last shot looks very very sharp Javier, and it's a nice shot too.

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
Hand-colored black and white. Taken on MZ-S with 28-105 zoom.
Hand-coloured, very interesting!

Here's a couple of shots from a roll of Fuji Reala 100 that I tried recently:

02-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #2328

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
Hand-colored black and white. Taken on MZ-S with 28-105 zoom.
That's gorgeous! Welcome to the forum. There are a few of us Oregonians on here.
02-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #2329
Pentaxian

Looks good, Swift1. I wonder what caused the thin negatives. You'll need to nail that down. I don't think you need to adjust your exposure index much less. Diafine's development chart calls for an EI200. Now this is a good example. Diafine is not your "typical" developer. And for someone new to developing their own film, you've practically jumped strait into the thick of things. Diafine warns you not to contaminate Solution B with Solution A but never tells you how you're suppose to avoid that. They say not to rinse between solutions but I don't see how draining is going to get ALL of Solution A off the film and out of the tank. This developer would best be used after your film development has been tempered with some experience, IMHO.

Do you blow the negatives off with a can of air? For larger dust that has dried to the film, you can use the plastic extension tip on the can of air to *gently* rub the dust off while blowing. But be careful. Do not hold these cans of air at an odd angle. It will blow freezing air.

Dust is inevitable. If you live in a dusty region, one tip I've heard is to turn on the hot shower and steam the bathroom up. Hang your negatives to dry and shut the door. But in the end to take care of what dust that gets by you need to use the healing tool in your graphics editor to clean things up.

This would have to be the last negative on the roll and too close to the end of the roll for that tape to be a factor, I believe. That would mean the arrows were not aligned while loading the film.

02-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #2330
Veteran Member

Javier! Best shot you've posted! Very nice multi-dimensional layering going on there.
02-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #2331
Inactive Account

Just checking in

Hey guys, I know I've not posted in ages as my only Pentax camera now has a dead meter and a slipping film transport, but I'm still keeping tabs on this thread. Some great stuff coming in here, I especially love Tuco's 6x7 work, Easytiger's street shots, PirateStian's slice of life, and have to say that Javier's latest B&W shots have a pretty distinctive graphic quality.

Meanwhile, I'll keep shooting away with my little Ricoh GR1 (great fun), and waiting for my new-to-me Rolleicord Va to come back from a thorough servicing.

Of course, if someone wants to donate or trade me a replacement for my near-dead MX, I'm all ears
02-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #2332
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
That last shot looks very very sharp Javier, and it's a nice shot too.
QuoteOriginally posted by Fixcinater Quote
Javier! Best shot you've posted! Very nice multi-dimensional layering going on there.
Thanks Guys. The encouragement means allot to me.

02-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #2333
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Looks good, Swift1. I wonder what caused the thin negatives. You'll need to nail that down. I don't think you need to adjust your exposure index much less. Diafine's development chart calls for an EI200. Now this is a good example. Diafine is not your "typical" developer. And for someone new to developing their own film, you've practically jumped strait into the thick of things. Diafine warns you not to contaminate Solution B with Solution A but never tells you how you're suppose to avoid that. They say not to rinse between solutions but I don't see how draining is going to get ALL of Solution A off the film and out of the tank. This developer would best be used after your film development has been tempered with some experience, IMHO.

Do you blow the negatives off with a can of air? For larger dust that has dried to the film, you can use the plastic extension tip on the can of air to *gently* rub the dust off while blowing. But be careful. Do not hold these cans of air at an odd angle. It will blow freezing air.

Dust is inevitable. If you live in a dusty region, one tip I've heard is to turn on the hot shower and steam the bathroom up. Hang your negatives to dry and shut the door. But in the end to take care of what dust that gets by you need to use the healing tool in your graphics editor to clean things up.

This would have to be the last negative on the roll and too close to the end of the roll for that tape to be a factor, I believe. That would mean the arrows were not aligned while loading the film.
Thanks tuco.
I'm not aure why the negs ended up being thin. I followed a method that I found on a blog called FigitalRevolution. I did do a water rinse between A and B.
Does Diafine go bad over time while still in the can? The stuff I am using was given to my sister by her photo Prof. and it appeared to be kinda old.

I do use canned air to blow dust off the negs. The stuff on that neg was dried on.
I think from a combination of drying in a room that wasn't dust free and while loading, I fumble with the film and dropped it on the carpet. My hands don't work to good.

That frame was the second on the roll. The last frame was 1-1.5 inches from the sticky end so I think I loaded the film correctly.

I am going to shoot another test roll today and see if I can get some better results tonight.

Swift1
02-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #2334
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Thanks tuco.
I followed a method that I found on a blog called FigitalRevolution.
I *always* read a film or developer's data sheet before I use it or take advise off the net. Here is Acufine's Developer Data Sheet. There is more than one of their developers on that sheet. It says Diafine has "an unusually long work life". How long is that? Interesting that the data for 100 Acros is 5+5 in each solution for 135 film and they list nothing for 120 roll.
02-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #2335
Inactive Account

After a long hiatus, I got back into film photography recently (had a P30t in art college back in the mid 90's) by picking up a K1000 and loading it with some TMAX 400. Here are some of the results. Since then, I've picked up a Super Program (which I'm currently using), an MX and an ME Super (both on their way to Eric for a CLA):
Attached Images

02-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #2336
Inactive Account

Continued:
Attached Images

02-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #2337
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Redcoat, ''WELCOME'' I in particular like what I believe is mama and her daughter? All n all nice shooting. Perhaps a slight bump in contrast would really make them pop. Again thanks for sharing and look forward to seeing more.
02-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #2338
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ricoh SLR, 99 cents film, Sears 50F/2.0

02-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #2339
Inactive Account

Thank you, Javier. Yes, that is my wife with her mother and our daughter to be under the bump! Three generations in one picture, so to speak...I will keep note of the contrast and post the results of the Super Program.
02-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #2340
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Redcoat Quote
Thank you, Javier. Yes, that is my wife with her mother and our daughter to be under the bump! Three generations in one picture, so to speak...I will keep note of the contrast and post the results of the Super Program.
How precious...3 generations is right!