Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43060 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 02:19 AM   #2506
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Agnostic Quote
That's a very nice shot!
Thanks. I thought about doing a tight crop but decided against it due to the foreground. I think it adds to the shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuintu Quote
Great shots DaddyLuna!
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
@DaddyLuna - I'm with Agnostic on the lady in the kitchen. That shot is dynamite. Still shooting Centuria DNP? Inquiring minds want to know...
Thanks. I will always shoot cheap film. If I can find it for less then a buck a roll, I'm game. But these shots are actually different films. Konica Chrome Centuria 200, Fujicolor 100 & Neopan 400.

03-11-2010, 02:21 AM   #2507
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good work Gene, Rodinal at high dilution and (semi) stand works as a compensating developer which you can clearly see in the highlights in your shots.

Rollei Retro 100 in Rodinal 1:100, Orange Filter, Fuji G690BL, Fujinon S 100/3.5

You Log
Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting (even dead trees apparently)

Beautiful logs.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Good results, GeneV. And thanks, Frank. And I said not another seascape but here we go...
These are super! Wish I could do something similar, but we can't find anything scene similar here in Singapore
03-11-2010, 02:24 AM   #2508
Veteran Member

@Frank WOW. Pretty ladies is an understatement. Really amazing series. I don't know...I shoot a ZX-5n (from time to time) and I never manage to attract five beautiful women to come pose for me...must be the ZX thing - gotta get me an MZ.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin, Mine is a ZX-5n too

There's been so much B&W (although I have some of that to post, too), I figured it was time to shoot some color:

ZX-5n, FA35 f2, Ektar

[...
More Ektar in the next post.

Best,
Kevin
Excellent series! I really love those colors. So they are from Ektar? I'm gonna give it a try someday ...
03-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #2509
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Kjon: Thanks! Some nice shots there, the Ektar has an interesting color profile, the blues are almost psychedelic I like the b&w of the church, there's one here where I live with exactly the same latin text above the entrance.

@Stevebrot: Nice work!

Rollei Retro 400S (Still haven't found the ideal development for this, it gets very contrasty very fast.) in Rollei RHS, Rolleicord Vb, Yellow Filter.

03-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #2510
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
No kidding...How awesome is that!

And people say film is dead..
That's dead man talking
03-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #2511
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Thanks Kevin, Mine is a ZX-5n too

Excellent series! I really love those colors. So they are from Ektar? I'm gonna give it a try someday ...
Frank, that means there's hope for me yet Looking forward to your Ektar shots...

@Kjon: Thanks! Some nice shots there, the Ektar has an interesting color profile, the blues are almost psychedelic I like the b&w of the church, there's one here where I live with exactly the same latin text above the entrance.
Agnostic, I'm with you on those blues, although they are only a tad more intense than they really were that day - it was absolutely gorgeous.

Re the Latin - I'll take a stab at translating: "Home of God and Door to Heaven". I'd imagine it's probably a fairly common inscription on Catholic churches world wide.

Good luck finding the recipe that makes you happy with your development and gets you the results you want. I still like what you're getting and posting here.

Best,
Kevin
03-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #2512
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't think your experience is unique in that regard. Other people have posted that they've had better luck with the Ilford than the Kodak at 1 hour processors. I have my C41 stuff done at a small pro lab and the tech there really takes a lot of pride in his work. I've yet to be disappointed in anything he's done for me. When I was just starting to shoot film I had taken a couple rolls to a local Walgreens and must have gotten lucky because I was happy with the results I got there, too. Although I think quality can change a lot from store to store.
I'd add Fuji Reala 100 to your list of films to try - it's really great stuff.

Best,
Kevin
Funny, I've had just the opposite experience. Walgreens does a good job on the Kodak, but tore the heck out of Ilford C41 BW. I have not sent them any of the current formulation of XP2, though. I've always either processed the Ilford myself or dropped it off at the photo store. Their C41 process was fairly easy to do with great results, but you did not save money.

Emulsion damage aside, exposure is the key to chomogenic BW IMHO. I'll bet that the camera or technique or both you are using for exposure is responsible for most of the difference that the other poster prefers in your shots (which are great, BTW).

I shot tons of XP1 in the 80s and early 90s at ISO from 100 to 1600, and it was a different film at each setting. I used it in an MX body whose meter had died, so I sometimes saw these differences just because I was too lazy to pull out the old Sekonic.

Another huge variable on this site is scanner quality, scanning software and pp.

I can't find Reala locally, and it has only recently reappeared on line. I think it should be called Unreala, because of its saturation, but I like it.

03-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #2513
Veteran Member

Rollei Retro 400S (Still haven't found the ideal development for this, it gets very contrasty very fast.) in Rollei RHS, Rolleicord Vb, Yellow Filter.
If you haven't found the ideal development, you are sure getting close on that tree.
03-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #2514
Veteran Member

While we are posting color shots from travel around our state, here is an oldie, on an emulsion that kept medium format at bay for me. New Mexico in the foreground and Colorado in the background. A 16x20 ciba of another shot from this roll was on my office wall for years.

03-11-2010, 07:08 AM   #2515
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
While we are posting color shots from travel around our state, here is an oldie, on an emulsion that kept medium format at bay for me. New Mexico in the foreground and Colorado in the background. A 16x20 ciba of another shot from this roll was on my office wall for years.
Beautiful landscape!

If you haven't found the ideal development, you are sure getting close on that tree.
Thanks!

I had to adjust the exposure setting on the scanner by almost 100 percent to get these results and do a bit of tweaking in Photoshop as well though.

I must say I really love the higlights the Rollei 400S gives. I think this film has a lot of potential once I get aquainted with it's peculiarities and qualities. If I manage to get them a little less contrasty in development they should be less fussy to scan.

A few more from the same roll (Rolleicord Vb, Yellow Filter, Rollei Retro 400S developed in Rollei RHS) :

03-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #2516
Pentaxian

That is gorgeous and great colors. But aren't you suppose to go hog-wild in the graphics editor and super saturate the blues, add layer masks and put an artificial orange glow on the canyon walls, throw in some artificial sun rays, make it so you need sun glasses to view the picture and finally stand proud that you captured a unique moment in nature because you were in the right place at the right time? I mean that's norm now, right?

Last edited by tuco; 03-11-2010 at 09:03 AM.
03-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #2517
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
That is gorgeous and great colors. But aren't you suppose to go hog-wild in the graphics editor and super saturate the blues, add layer masks and put an artificial orange glow on the canyon walls, throw in some artificial sun rays, make it so you need sun glasses to view the picture and finally stand proud that you captured a unique moment in nature because you were in the right place at the right time? I mean that's norm now, right?
Funny you should say that, since it is often my thought with landscapes I see as well--especially since digital began to dominate. I must confess, though, that the Cibachromes I made of these slides had a tendency to come out a bit over the top, with the tones of that sky ending up way more dark and saturated than the Kodachrome. Ironically, this digital scan is much more true to the slide than my analog prints. (My favorite, K25, would not have purpled the sky in prints).

I did not add the film info, but this was taken with a Pentax MX M50/1.4 lens at F:4 on Kodachrome 64. It is a testament to the power of that film and lens that you can see from the original full-size scan that slide detail exceeds the capabilities of a 53 megapixel scan.
03-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #2518
Veteran Member

Here's one with Fuji Neopan 400, a few years expired.

Sisters
03-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #2519
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaddyLuna Quote
Thanks. I thought about doing a tight crop but decided against it due to the foreground. I think it adds to the shot.
I agree, the space creates a nice balance.

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Beautiful logs.
Thanks!

Some color for a change:
Rolleicord Vb, Fuji PRovia 400X

03-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #2520

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Can't let ISO50's Downtown Portland shots go without notice. Good work! I really like #2.

Steve
+1

Great work, ISO50. I love the shot from Riverplace south.