Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #2596
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
True, very true. But from what I have read and understand, the beauty of these cams is that no two are alike (they say) and part of the fun is not knowing what you will get. For me, I had to give the Holga a try.
Weren't you making fun of a guy with a pink (or some such color) in one of your images a few weeks ago? I guess you had to find out what the deal was with that toy cam after all. Hysterical

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/914803-post380.html

Thank you. I am sure it is the film/lens combo. Strange but cool to me. I am only bugged by the purple sky.
It doesn't look all that purple on my monitor is its the image I think you are talking about. It looks like it could have been shot in the 70s. Maybe circa The Omega Man.

Last edited by Blue; 03-18-2010 at 02:37 PM.
03-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #2597
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Weren't you making fun of a guy with a pink (or some such color) in one of your images a few weeks ago? I guess you had to find out what the deal was with that toy cam after all. :Hysterical:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/914803-post380.html

It doesn't look all that purple on my monitor is its the image I think you are talking about. It looks like it could have been shot in the 70s. Maybe circa The Omega Man.
LOL, Yes, that got me intrigued and I had to try it.
03-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #2598
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Fuji 160S - this may be one of the discontinued in 35mm size films - what a shame!

Sightseer SV. First two are with the Super Tak 28/3.5 I'll send on with the camera... the graveyard angel is with the Auto Tamron-F 35/2.8.

Two images Snipped - Nesster, another shot that really reveals how sharp that lens is. I have a roll of 160S in the fridge and I'm really looking forward to shooting it based on your shots with the Sightseer - point of fact, that's why I bought it <g>. I also have a copy of that lens that I got with my SV (which is still awaiting R&R in TN w/ Eric) and I'm jonesing to shoot it, too. I'm thinking I'll slap it on my SPII in the meanwhile and see what it can do for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Those are great XP2 shots. The 120 roll of XP2 I got back from processing by a good shop yesterday had some nice shots, but some horrific scratches of the type that 35mm XP1 used to bring home from the 1 hour lab before I developed my own. This is the most disappointing experiences I have had with either this film or this lab, since these MF shots look grainier than the 35mm shots from this film posted above. I'm leaning toward the lab as being at fault, since I shot three other rolls of different films that day that were great, and there was some fogging on this roll as well.

I spent a lot of time with the spot healing brush on many of my frames (not so much this one, though). Pentax 645 150mm Ilford XP2 cropped.
Gene, nice shot and a nice job of PP; I don't see anything too heinous in this shot. I'm looking reaally hard at 645s and reaally hard at my wallet trying to make the two jibe <g>. Definitely one of those beasts in my future.

Meanwhile, sorry your lab let you down. I can see the attraction of doing your own processing if you feel you can achieve better results through your own efforts. I had some 35mm Tri-X shots of a B-17 bomber come back badly scratched this summer - I share your pain.

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I've been looking at all these great shots for months but feeling guilty that I haven't put up any of my own shots. The problem is that I don't have a neg scanner or a flatbed scanner with a transparency adaptor. All I've got is an 10 year old 600dpi flatbed. The prints are 9.5x12 inches and the scanner can take 9x12 inches so I've lost a strip down the side but sod it... here goes nothing.

Canon EOS 3, EF24-105L f4, APX 100, Rodinal 1+50

ME Super, M50 f1.7, Tri-x 400, D-76
Two images snipped

Vendee, thanks for sharing and don't apologize for those scans; the web hides a multitude of sins and it's always a treat to see somebody else's take on their corner of the world. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts. Canon's are nice, but I'm in love with my ME Super and M50 f1.7 - ME Super was a gift from my parents when I wore a younger man's clothes and I picked up the M50 f1.7 from CraigsList for a whopping $40 and it came attached to another ME Super (in pretty fair shape )

QuoteOriginally posted by Agnostic Quote
Rolleicord Vb, Provia 400X

3 images snipped

Agnostic, you're killing me in color. The light and the color in this shot are amazing. You are putting that Rollei to extremely good use. It's obvious how much you enjoy shooting it and the pictures you're getting out of it are first rate. Bravo and as always, thanks for sharing your talents here.

Kevin, I really love that cheap film. PM your address and I will send you a couple of rolls. As for the Ricoh, I really like it. I paid $5.00 for the cam and lens on ebay. At the time the guy had 50 of them left over from a class he taught. Right now I see he has 8 more but wants like $300.00 for all of them with 50'S on them. As for the Holga, it was fun, but a one time deal for me. For every shot I took with the Holga, I did shoot one with digital. Anyway, let me know.
Thanks javier
Javier, you are indeed a mensch. I'm consistently amazed by the generosity of spirit shown here on the film forum. PM sent with my addy and my thanks.

Best to all,
Kevin
03-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #2599
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thank you KJon!

One from the "Texas Leica" (Fuji G690BL medium format rangefinder). Fujinon S 100mm/3.5, Fuji Provia 400X

03-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #2600
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote

Vendee, thanks for sharing and don't apologize for those scans; the web hides a multitude of sins and it's always a treat to see somebody else's take on their corner of the world. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts. Canon's are nice, but I'm in love with my ME Super and M50 f1.7 - ME Super was a gift from my parents when I wore a younger man's clothes and I picked up the M50 f1.7 from CraigsList for a whopping $40 and it came attached to another ME Super (in pretty fair shape )

Hi Kevin, its interesting to contrast the Canon with my ME Super. The Canon is a professional quality camera and the with the £800 24-105L lens is a formidable combination. I bought my ME Super with its M50 f/1.7 on Ebay for just £30. A really friendly poster from a Usenet photography newsgroup here in the UK gave me a M135 f/3.5. He wouldn't even accept any money for the postage... how nice was that?

Anyway, the Canon combo is undoubtedly better. It has auto focus and even an eye control focus system. I'm more likely to get a properly focused shot with the Canon. With the ME Super, it takes me longer to manually focus but the biggest plus point is its size. Its like a compact. I can slip it in my jacket pocket. It more unobtrusive when shooting in the street. I've had both cameras roughly the same time but I've had more rolls through the ME Super than the Canon.

Of course the great thing about film cameras is that its the same film that goes in all of them and the image quality is more down to the film used than the equipment used.
03-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #2601
Veteran Member

Another color shot.
Pentax 645 75mm Fuji 160s.

03-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #2602
Pentaxian

Went out shooting yesterday evening. This was all I could find. It got dark quick.

100 Acros, PMK Pyro

03-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #2603
Veteran Member

Nice work, Tuco. Delicately rendered.

I knew the bottom would say PMK even before I scrolled down.
03-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #2604
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Nice work, Tuco. Delicately rendered.

I knew the bottom would say PMK even before I scrolled down.
Thanks. Well your odds were 50/50 on that
03-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #2605

The first time I've used Kodak BW400cn. Very good film.

03-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #2606
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks. Well your odds were 50/50 on that
I hadn't done the math on your shots, but that makes sense.
03-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #2607
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IainG Quote
The first time I've used Kodak BW400cn. Very good film.
I'm liking it more and more as well. I think it performs for me now better than the Ilford counterpart I used for many years.

This one I just posted on another thread makes good use of Ilford XP2, though. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/87027-p...tml#post962657

Last edited by GeneV; 03-20-2010 at 07:50 PM.
03-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #2608
Veteran Member

I woke up this morning to snow. Our apricot tree was already blooming. If I could shoot this again, I would use a dark yellow filter instead of medium to separate the sky.
Pentax LX M75-150mm LegacyPro100 (Acros) in R09 1:80 18min.

Last edited by GeneV; 03-20-2010 at 08:15 PM.
03-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #2609
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ricoh XR-P, cheap and cheesy 99 cents film and sears 50f/2.0

I found that this cheap and cheasy film expired in 2002. I wonder if this is why the funky colors?

Last edited by jgredline; 03-20-2010 at 10:53 PM.
03-21-2010, 02:09 AM   #2610
Inactive Account

I found that this cheap and cheasy film expired in 2002. I wonder if this is why the funky colors?
What speed? Was it kept cold?