Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My new camera

OK, my "new" old camera that I got today. Yes, that's a 1957 AP with a f2.8/135mm preset lens.

CW

Attached Images

03-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Banned

holy crap. it still has the JCII sticker on the lens. who makes it? looks really clean. almost brand new. how much did you pay for it? its a beauty.
03-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
séamuis, I can't say what I paid for it due to privacy reasons. The lens is a Spiratone. I didn't even know they made a preset "Zebra" lens.

Maybe I should take it to the coast next Tuesday and do some shots on River Street in Savannah and of the green fountains. Nah, since there will be about 750,000 people there plus no open container law, I think I'll pass.

CW
03-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Banned

What a great camera! I used to have a Spiratone. It's a great lens

03-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've been informed that there is a possibility it was made by Sigma as they apparently did a lot of the Spiratone lenses.
03-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #6

that is definitely a gorgeous copy. Congrats!
03-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
séamuis, I can't say what I paid for it due to privacy reasons. The lens is a Spiratone. I didn't even know they made a preset "Zebra" lens.

Maybe I should take it to the coast next Tuesday and do some shots on River Street in Savannah and of the green fountains. Nah, since there will be about 750,000 people there plus no open container law, I think I'll pass.

CW

it will be something else that's for sure. I have never actually taken a photo of the green fountain. most of my time is spent photographing the parade. river street turns into a giant mess. quite ridiculous, I must say.
03-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

*sigh* that is one heck of a beautiful camera you got yourself

03-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
OK, my "new" old camera that I got today. Yes, that's a 1957 AP with a f2.8/135mm preset lens.
Nice combo. When Dad gave me my first camera it was an AP. One of the lenses he gave me was a a 135mm f/2.8 Isco Gottingen... which was a preset lens also. I learned on a preset.

In the late 50's he was a photojournalist for the Star Ledger and the Newark News, and that old lens and body saw a lot of service with him. The Isco has a very similar look to it as compared with your Spiratone.

Very masculine and substantial. All business, but also very beautiful.

I recall that he said of the 135mm that it was a great portrait lens... great for taking head shots. Fast 135mm lenses were part of the newsman's staple in those days I think. He used to use the AP with a 135mm on it and had a second camera with a fast 28mm on it. The prism on Dad's AP has dents to show for his juggling two bodies. I still have that camera as well as the Isco 135mm and the 28mm.

Anyway, the Zebra treatment of the lens is perfect for the time period, as is the preset mechanism. I've literally taken photos all over the world with that basic combination. It should serve you well! Use it in good health...

woof!