Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why am I not surprised to see a do-rag in that photo......

03-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes, it seems like that's an atrocity to do to really classic cars.

Most of the time, though, I delightedly expect like the Cat In The Hat to step out of them. I'm not sure that's the impression one's *supposed* to get, but it's a bit of whimsy to me.
03-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

The other thing is, if you're so inclined, is to make a short diary/log of each of your shots, so you can later compare lenses, what you shot it at, filters, other conditions, etc.

Believe me--most people don't do it, but it's an incredible learning experience and adds another dimension to an art which you are keeping alive. And the discipline will assure you never accidentally shoot unloaded.

I used to do it and learned a LOT, except when that cheap pot got in the way and I was too lazy to do it.
03-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

In my experience, Photography is a never-ending series of self-administered dope-slaps, punctuated by dumb luck.

03-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #20

I did it once. When I shoot with my K1000, I'm always looking to make sure that the little button on the bottom is moving.

But I shot a whole "roll" with a Canon APS film camera - it was my wife's insistence, she didn't like messing with setting ASA, loading film, etc. The problem was that it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that my daughter had on her birthday. I wasn't familiar with the camera, and couldn't understand all the little icons. I'm sure one of them was telling me I was a doofus.

I'd trade almost any roll of film I've ever taken to have had film in that camera on that day.
03-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #21
Pentaxian

While we're sort of on the subject of donks, this is one of my all-time favorite youtube vids YouTube - Drag Racing in the Dirty South

(Don't read the comments or turn on your speakers if you're offended by vulgarities)...
03-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cheesehead Quote
I did it once. When I shoot with my K1000, I'm always looking to make sure that the little button on the bottom is moving.

But I shot a whole "roll" with a Canon APS film camera - it was my wife's insistence, she didn't like messing with setting ASA, loading film, etc. The problem was that it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that my daughter had on her birthday. I wasn't familiar with the camera, and couldn't understand all the little icons. I'm sure one of them was telling me I was a doofus.

I'd trade almost any roll of film I've ever taken to have had film in that camera on that day.
What a pity ...

I'd make sure I'll at least have a digital camera as a back up next time on my daughter's birthday party
03-11-2009, 01:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

OMG! those... cars... are gross! shocking!

i haven't forgot to load my camera yet, but i had few opportunities to have camera with me, but no film in it, and of course, everywhere i turned were once-in-a-lifetime moments i just wasn't able to capture.

03-11-2009, 04:38 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
What a pity ...

I'd make sure I'll at least have a digital camera as a back up next time on my daughter's birthday party
Just remember the fresh batteries and memory card!
03-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
While we're sort of on the subject of donks, this is one of my all-time favorite youtube vids YouTube - Drag Racing in the Dirty South

(Don't read the comments or turn on your speakers if you're offended by vulgarities)...
Oof. Thankfully, any vulgarities were unintelligible, but I suppose that answers the question of if those things are actually altered to drive properly. I remember seeing a fad for these big ballooney tires sticking way out of cars some time ago in Texas, and all I could think, "There's got to be some bad leverage on those suspension parts."

I've been considering approaching some of these car ('Donk?') fans for a bit of photo work, ...always helps to pick up what you can about what the big deal is, especially if you're a gal.

I suppose there must be fan sites out there, come to think of it.
03-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Of course looking at those vehicles just begs the question - Why would you sink ALL that money into a CAR........when you could be spending it on lenses!?!?!
03-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Oof. Thankfully, any vulgarities were unintelligible, but I suppose that answers the question of if those things are actually altered to drive properly. I remember seeing a fad for these big ballooney tires sticking way out of cars some time ago in Texas, and all I could think, "There's got to be some bad leverage on those suspension parts."

I've been considering approaching some of these car ('Donk?') fans for a bit of photo work, ...always helps to pick up what you can about what the big deal is, especially if you're a gal.

I suppose there must be fan sites out there, come to think of it.
the smaller wheel and tire combo, what I have always called the 'go kart' setup. is popular among Hispanics and particularly on pickup trucks. not just in Texas, but considering the Hispanic population there you are likely to see it more often. being from Texas and currently living on the Georgia coast I still see them everyday with this setup. looks a whole lot better than a car that looks like a stage coach.
03-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Hey, Seamius, btw, PM me about when it's good to get the Sightseer. I'm still shooting way slowly, ...had kind of a health downswing, then now a busybusy upswing catching up on things, figure I don't want to hold up the works, here.