Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DUH! You learn and live.

Yesterday I went to downtown Sacramento to take some pictures with my K1000 camera for my film class. I saw some pretty neat stuff and crazy stuff there. One of the most memorable image that I saw was this guy who was driving one of the most ridiculous car that I've ever seen. I don't know the model of the car but it was one of those old school muscle car. It has really big wheels, about 26" or so. The wheels where taller than the car itself! It was on a lift kit as well.

Today was my lab class where I could develop the film. I took out my k1000, re-winded the film and noticed something. I didn't feel anything when I was re-winding the film. I opened up the camera in the darkroom to see what happened and found out there was NO FILM in the camera to begin with.

I had many "once in a life time" shot that I will never see again.

Well I guess you live in learn.

03-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Ah well - like you said, Live and Learn.
If it's any comfort I've done it, too. So have many others on this forum.

Next time you'll watch the rewind knob to see if it is turning as you crank to the next shot.
03-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Next time you'll watch the rewind knob to see if it is turning as you crank to the next shot.
Amen to that.
03-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i had a similar experience
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/53428-duh-film...ng-moment.html

03-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I find that the advance lever feels different when there's no film being pulled, but maybe it varies camera to camera.
03-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Ah well - like you said, Live and Learn.
If it's any comfort I've done it, too. So have many others on this forum.

My teacher warned us about that, to always pay attention to the knob when shooting. I guess since I am so used to digital and take for granted about all the automatic features of digital.
03-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That's okay. I had a moment like that in film class, too. As long as we learn from it.
03-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've NEVER done that. I SWEAR!

I have, however, shot countless rolls of Tri-X 400 thinking I had Kodachrome 25 loaded, but that was the 70s and pot was cheap, so I indulged a little.

03-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Habits, Akuma. Habits. This kind of thing you just have to be meticulous about. Never open a camera without spinning the rewind knob to be sure there's slack, or whatever's in there is rewound. Never leave a camera in an unloaded state without some indication or default that it is. If a camera in service with me is unloaded, the memo holder is empty and if possible the rewind lever is up. ( Memo holders are always good, if your K1000 has one. If you don't have the box end from the loaded film, flip it over. Write on it. To this day, blank white means a 36 exposure roll of B&W at 400 ASA is in there. In fact, I about *never* leave a camera unloaded. Even if it's an old roll of something with no exposures on it at all.

Leave no room for doubt.

You've learned an important lesson: no roll of film is worth the shot you didn't take.

It's funny, cause with *digital* I'm always afraid of running off with a camera that has no memory card in there. I adapt this such that any empty digital is placed upside-down, even if I think the card's only out 'for a minute.' Period.
03-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Somthing like this?

They're called "Donks" and are popular in the south. Thanks goodness I've only seen like 5 up here :ugh:
03-10-2009, 05:10 AM   #11
Banned

this is exactly why I always keep film in my cameras. every single body has a roll of film in it.
03-10-2009, 05:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think shooting without film isn't that bad. Haven't done it myself. But I have shot a roll or two the same way that k100d has Makes one feel quite dumb when you notice you have had film in the camera but not been able to get anything on the film...
03-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I spent a day shooting with a Yashica Electro 35 with no film in it.

Know what? I had a good time anyway.
03-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Somthing like this?

They're called "Donks" and are popular in the south. Thanks goodness I've only seen like 5 up here :ugh:
Yea something like that. But that one isn't that bad because it does not have a lift kit. At least that one the wheels fits under the car. The one that I saw was something like this but with different style rims.
03-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #15
Banned

reminds me of a stage coach for some reason....