Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can I fix this in the dark room?

I've been using the dark room for about 3 weeks now(well only once a week). I feel comfortable working in the darkroom but I don't know anything else besides how to develop the picture.

Today I developed another roll of film and I really like this shot.

I cropped the imaged already trying to remove the trees on the bottom left. I can't crop anymore or I will get into the image.

Is there a way to remove the tree leaves on the bottom left in the darkroom? I know I can remove the trees in photoshop and it will only take me a minute but I want to know if it is possible to remove it in the dark room.

Thanks

03-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Inactive Account

You could try dodging with a suitable shape taped to a shish-kebab skewer, which would make the area lighter, but there'd be some tiral and error in figuring out how much to blend it in.

I haven't been in a darkroom since '01; I resign myself to scanning my negatives and using lightroom to fix dust spots, etc.
03-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, you could fix that, or downplay it, but, I'd tend to not want to. If you want those values in the sky, at least. If it's an unbroken graphic effect you want, you could just crank the contrast and dodge the branches.

If you want to keep the same mood, but lose the little bit of branches, though, as well as clean up the 'dirty neg' and scan stuff ('noise,' I'd say way back then, as in 'Enough of *this* noise,' without cleaning and printing again, this is just the kind of thing digital retouching is actually pretty good for, compared to old-school solutions. I would probably suggest a different 'print' to begin with, but if I wanted that look, and could transplant some clean grain from one part of the image to another, I'd have been there. Like a shot.

There's a lot of stuff you could do under the enlarger with that, though.
03-10-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't mind the film noise, in fact I like it. I just don't like the branches on the bottom. I thought there would be an easy fix to this but it seems like there is no such easy fix for it.

03-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I meant to ask, for sure, ...that's a scan of the negative, yes?

And are you printing in the darkroom, yet?
03-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I meant to ask, for sure, ...that's a scan of the negative, yes?

And are you printing in the darkroom, yet?
I have not printed that image in the darkroom yet but I've printed a few others images with great success.

I just don't know what other types of tips and tricks that can be done besides burning and dodging.
03-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
I have not printed that image in the darkroom yet but I've printed a few others images with great success.

I just don't know what other types of tips and tricks that can be done besides burning and dodging.
Well, apart from taking a brush and stuff to either the print or neg (Analog photoshoppieness. ) the dodging is probably the best idea. You could actually cut the shape out of a test strip or unsatisfactory print of the very image, and make it pretty precise. Sharp edge along the smokestack, and a bit more random-edged around the branches.
03-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

As suggested some skillful dodging should help. I'd reshoot the scene, if possible.

IMO the real world doesn't look like the Photoshop "perfection" we have now come to expect.

Chris