Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
Inactive Account

z-5/z-5p vs z-1/z-1p

Hello, dear All. Can you answer me - what's difference between z-1p and z-5p(or z-1 z-5) models of body ? There is no info about z-5p exception for Dimitrov website...

Thanks for answers...
P.S. Sorry by my poor English...

03-10-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As far as I can tell, the only notable difference between the Z-5 and Z-1 is in the amount of custom functions. the Z-1 has more.

the "p" at the end of the name stands for "panorama", a gimmick Pentax included in their cameras in the 90s.

There might be more differences, but that's about as much as I can squeeze out of the info I found.
03-10-2009, 05:57 AM   #3
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mdmitriy Quote
Hello, dear All. Can you answer me - what's difference between z-1p and z-5p(or z-1 z-5) models of body ? There is no info about z-5p exception for Dimitrov website....

Actually, the Z-5p is there: Z-5p

Looks like the main differences are:

No Shutter Priority setting
Far fewer custom functions
Custom functions have to be set by service center (apparently)
03-10-2009, 06:21 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
And what about:
1) Body case material - is it like z-1 or z-1p ?
2) Viewfinder - plastic or glass ?
3) Is it have a Manual mode - manual setting of both shutter speed and aperture ?

03-10-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax Z/PZ-Series Film Bodies
03-10-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Of course I read this page yet :-), and what we can see there "The custom function of this body can be set only at an authorized service center. The following functions are available:"

Only service center can do spot meter or manual exposure and other functions from that body ?
03-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm. I wonder, speaking of the PZ-1P... I gather that there is no battery grip available for it, but there is a 'dummy' one. Is that very uncommon?

03-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

True, there was no battery grip ever offered by Pentax for the PZ1p. Hadn't heard about "dummy grip", if true, I'm guessing it's an aftermarket item.
03-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Hi Ron & RML - the plastic dummy grip thingie for the PZ1/PZ1P is a genuine Pentax part.

It is also available with a leather handloop thingie that was part of the neckstrap. So you can just slip your hand into the handloop and carry the camera safely around that way. Actually that's probably the most useful features of this grip since all it is is a piece of molded plastic.

My Z1P dummy grip thingie has with this handloop thingie. But I seldom use my Z1P because I love using my MZ-S.
03-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, that's news to me. I thought I owned anything Pentax that existed for the PZ1p. Had 3 of them in the '90's...still have two...(I too prefer the MZ-S)

Since I'm a "no strap" tripod only kind of guy, perhaps I rejected the hand grip due to it's apparent strappy thing? Just don't recall...never did get my entire short term memory back from the '70's and '80's...

Sorry, back to the thread...
03-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Guessing not-too-common, then.

I'd love an MZ-S, myself, but the Z1-p has interesting qualities, the grippy thing is a minor factor, though.

Even if it does nothing, it could be useful to me, to steady any longer lenses. Batteries at least make good ballast, but when I want my Canon A-series cameras to be lighter to carry, I often just dump the batteries and leave the little winders on to keep the handling.