Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2016, 11:03 PM   #16
Forum Member

I have a ZX-L with the same problem, and I would like to know where I could it it repaired.

Rick

03-03-2016, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More than likely this guy.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/273314-change-address-eric.html
03-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rick in Ohio Quote
I have a ZX-L with the same problem, and I would like to know where I could it it repaired.

Rick
I just sent my ZX-M in to Eric yesterday. I wonder how long we will be able to get these older models fixed.
03-04-2016, 11:31 PM   #19
Forum Member

I thought that Eric had stopped working on the ZX series cameras. They were not listed on his home page the last time I looked there.

Rick

03-05-2016, 12:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick in Ohio Quote
I thought that Eric had stopped working on the ZX series cameras. They were not listed on his home page the last time I looked there.

Rick
Hmm, well then I imagine I will get it back and will toss it as a bad investment.
Though I thought in the article he mentioned recently that those parts were available from Ricoh again.
I hope so, and he has just not updated his page to reflect that yet.

Oh well, if the ZX series is dead, then i'll get my MX in for service instead.

Bummer, because I kinda like the feature set of the ZX-M and ZX-5.
I just wish they had cable release socket and a pc sync socket.
03-05-2016, 05:05 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I asked him recently and he said the parts were no longer available. I waited too long...
03-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I have two cameras that potentially could have problems. My MZ5n I bought in 2000 but was not my most used camera. The MZ7 I bought with two lenses for $50. For film I mainly shoot medum format but I like to have the option of shooting 35mm. When out shooting with a ESII last weekend I found my eyesight did not work good with the focusing screen. If one of my MZ cameras stopped working I would just use the other one. If that one was to die I would have the choice of reparing it myself or buying a new one which might be cheaper than sending it in for repair/ Perhaps if it was the MZ5n that went I would try to fix it myself while using the MZ7.

03-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I have two cameras that potentially could have problems. My MZ5n I bought in 2000 but was not my most used camera. The MZ7 I bought with two lenses for $50. For film I mainly shoot medum format but I like to have the option of shooting 35mm. When out shooting with a ESII last weekend I found my eyesight did not work good with the focusing screen. If one of my MZ cameras stopped working I would just use the other one. If that one was to die I would have the choice of reparing it myself or buying a new one which might be cheaper than sending it in for repair/ Perhaps if it was the MZ5n that went I would try to fix it myself while using the MZ7.
From my reading, the only repair possible is to replace the motor with one that has the metal gear, or to replace the plastic gear on that motor with a metal gear.

Technically you could replace the broken plastic gear with a new plastic gear, but it's a silly repair job, the plastic gears break, then it's done.

From what people are saying, neither the motor, nor the gear is currently available, so repair is no longer possible.
03-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I had sent my ZX-M to Eric, and it was returned today with the note that the repair parts are no longer available.

Oh well.
03-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I just ordered the gears, that are still available from HERE:

Mikroantriebe KK Produkcja Zahnrad, Schnecken und Car System Onlineshop-Zahnrad / Trieb M0.25 / 13 Zähne

If you order you must change the drill/hole diameter to 1.5 mm
Change the width to 2.0 mm
and the material to brass

with shipping, for three of these gears, the cost was $20.93 USD

On the 4th page of this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/39450-mz5n-m...ce-manual.html
is the procedure that works for replacing just the gear, without the complete removal of the motor.

I will report back if/when I manage the repair on my ZX-M and ZX-5

Eric would not repair my ZX-M as he cannot get the correct pentax parts. I wonder if he might be willing to order these gears and just replace the gears.
03-17-2016, 09:47 PM   #26
Forum Member

Mike, It would be interesting if Eric could use that new gear you bought, to fix the ZX cameras. Let the group know if your repair work.

Rick
03-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #27

It’s not too late. Eric fixed my ZX-5n just a few months ago with a brass mirror motor unit I found off of this site:

PENTAX MIRROR MOTOR UNIT FOR ZX-L, ZX-10, ZX-50, ZX-60, ZX-S0,ZX-5, MZ-6, MZ-10, MZ-5N, ZX-5N, MZ-3. MZ-10

I bought the part separately and asked if he would be willing to make the repair. He agreed to give it a try. I mailed the camera and part off to him, and he was able to install the unit successfully without a hitch. Along with a CLA, it works just as good as new now. I'm very happy with the service and repair.

Good luck!
03-21-2016, 10:23 PM   #28
Forum Member

Thank you winsher for the lead about the mirror motor unit for the MZ cameras. I may look into it in the near future.

Rick
09-07-2020, 01:32 PM   #29

Mine juts died today... The mirror wont go down, it takes several shutter press to go down, and you can hear it forcing.

Its a big shame, because I have run out of batteries, I ordered the FG grip so I could use AA Batteries, it got here today, I installed it, tried it, and the first picture I took, the mirror locked! I guess I`m gonna have to buy another one. there's no one that fixes this cameras here. It was a long run, I had the camera since December 1996, it was the first camera I bought.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I didn't feel the need to create one for my case.
09-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote
Mine juts died today... The mirror wont go down, it takes several shutter press to go down, and you can hear it forcing.

Its a big shame, because I have run out of batteries, I ordered the FG grip so I could use AA Batteries, it got here today, I installed it, tried it, and the first picture I took, the mirror locked! I guess I`m gonna have to buy another one. there's no one that fixes this cameras here. It was a long run, I had the camera since December 1996, it was the first camera I bought.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I didn't feel the need to create one for my case.
It's repairable, but you have to special order the new brass gears. Check the other threads in this section for more info.

Phil.