Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I fold :)

Wow that is great.

The grab-bag that netted me the SuperProgram had a Vivtar Series One Type 3 zoom--A setting on the aperture ring, f/2.8, 70-210 range as I recall....sold it and paid for the whole bag of other stuff but I wish now I'd kept it! It was a honey pristine.

03-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You know, I almost didn't bid on this lens because it's not the first on my SMC-A list - last actually - but I just couldn't pass up the chance to get it if it delivered what was promised. $107 shipped in cherry mint condition with the hardcase and strap, both like new. I've seen well-used copies of the lens alone go for over $150 so it at least felt like a great deal.

I got the first roll (Ilford XP2 400) out of the Super Program developed and scanned last night. I'm quite happy with the results
[imgwideleft]http://www.perzactly.com/posts/2009/03/15/XP2_090314_0031.jpg[/imgwideleft]
Posted the rest of the "keepers" here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/54262-some-personal-firsts.html
03-16-2009, 07:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I am getting lens envy!

03-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

SuperProgram/SuperA is my favorite film camera too. I like the silver one better, but the black one looks very cool too. Hard to decide which one to keep:

Attached Images

Last edited by frank; 03-25-2009 at 09:24 PM.
03-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Great looking copies, Frank.

Mine is missing the eyecup and front body grip plate. I found a grip plate on KEH a week or so back but somebody else snatched it before I pulled the trigger. I did manage to get a motor drive-a for it though. I'm so used to the feel of the K20D and PZ-1 that the "normal" film bodies feel awkward now. Hoping having the bulk will help overcome that.
03-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Great looking copies, Frank.

Mine is missing the eyecup and front body grip plate. I found a grip plate on KEH a week or so back but somebody else snatched it before I pulled the trigger. I did manage to get a motor drive-a for it though. I'm so used to the feel of the K20D and PZ-1 that the "normal" film bodies feel awkward now. Hoping having the bulk will help overcome that.
Thanks Jim

I had the silver one for quite a while. Always wanted to have a black one too. Finally I got one in mint condition. Just changed the light seal and mirror bumper foam, it felt even better now
03-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #22

This isn't doing my CBA any good, guys

Still, they're pretty cameras and one of the pinnacles of Pentax manual focus bodies. I definitely have to get one sometime.

03-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I REALLY like mine. It seems to be very little bigger than my Leica IIIf with a much, much bigger viewfinder. (I haven't measured it, it just feels compact but not tiny.) I know that these are apples and oranges, but I find the SuperProgram much more enjoyable to use. Even if you don't have a pancake lens, the whole kit is very compact. And I like the nice 'wacka' sound that the shutter-mirror make. Stevopedia you need one!
03-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #24

Ohhhhhhhhh........

If only I could do it without breaking the bank and making the parents want to kill me...

BUT I did pick up a K1000 for cheep from Goodwill just to sell and that they don't actually know about... hmm.... between the K1000 that I'm keeping, the KX, the ME Super, the *ist D, and the Canon AE-1 (which, honestly, I literally forget about time and time again and hasn't been used in a while ) I just can't really justify another body...

...but who needs justification? *evil grin*
03-17-2009, 11:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
Ohhhhhhhhh........

If only I could do it without breaking the bank and making the parents want to kill me...
What's that old addage? 'Tis better to ask forgiveness than permission?
03-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
It's international name is Super-A (Super-program is yet another american name). With the Super-A Pentax introduced the A-contacts in the mount which enables automatic apperture and program automatic. The same six contacts still exist on all new Pentax lenses, though a 7th contact was added later. The role of these first six contacts is to tell the camera the min and max apperture of the lens. In 1983 the Super-A was rewarded the major camera design price in Europe, U.S. and Japan respectively, which later on the MZ-5 and the K10D also did. The Super-A (aka Super Program) is a nice little body with the choise of full manual, full program, apperture priority or shutter priority. What more do you need?
I would also say that the Super Program/A represented the zenith of serious manual focus Pentax bodies in the 1980's (not counting the pro-level LX, of course). Each mf body after it had fewer features, was often "dumbed down" in controls, and usually had a cheaper construction.

The Program Plus/A (Program Plus in NA, Program A elsewhere) was a step down from the Super Program/A in a few features, but is otherwise a very worthy camera body in its own right.

However, some of the others, such as the A3000/A3, and the several mf P-series bodies that followed, were examples of bodies from a company that had seemed to have lost its way somewhat for much of the later 1980's. (Please excuse the blasphemy - <g>.)
03-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
USPS should be delivering a "minty" A70-210/4 this afternoon so I will have more than just the A50/2 that were built-for this camera; and I'm scouring the web looking for A-series 28mm, 135mm and 200mm primes.
That's funny - USPS just delivered my A70-210/4 yesterday. Haven't played with it yet, but it certainly is "minty".
03-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
That's funny - USPS just delivered my A70-210/4 yesterday. Haven't played with it yet, but it certainly is "minty".
the 70-210 is an excellent lens. it sees more use than almost any of my lenses. that push/pull zoom might have been a standard at that time (just about everyone had a 70-210 with this design) but pentax really got it right. after some practice, you can zoom and focus extremely quickly. they are prone to 'zoom creep' but man this is one hell of a lens.
03-27-2009, 05:43 AM   #29
Site Supporter

A 70-210/4

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
the 70-210 is an excellent lens. it sees more use than almost any of my lenses. that push/pull zoom might have been a standard at that time (just about everyone had a 70-210 with this design) but pentax really got it right. after some practice, you can zoom and focus extremely quickly. they are prone to 'zoom creep' but man this is one hell of a lens.
I have to agree with séamuis on the A 70-210/4 - "pentax really got it right". Sharp, contrasty, well built.

As for the dreaded "zoom creep" (especially in a well-used lens) (a common grumble about one-touch zooms especially), well, this would only be noticeable if you were using the lens on a tripod pointed downward or upward - more-or-less level use would never exhibit this. Furthermore, some of the ability to "zoom and focus extremely quickly" depends on a zoom/focus ring that is ~not~ too tight.

I have never, ever used this lens on a tripod myself (pointing in any direction), so I have not once ever experienced the trauma of "lens creep" - <g>.

It is not a perfect lens, of course (it is, after all, a zoom). It's so-called "macro" function (as in most - but not all - so-called "macro zooms") is a bit marginal. The built-in sliding lens hood is only a little better than nothing (but you can carry a longer screw-in hood, of course).

The A 70-210/4 is a solid, well built, optically quite good telephoto zoom, well worth owning. And, at the modest prices they sometimes go for nowadays, it's a "best buy" in my mind, and a sweet lens for use on a body such as a Super Program.
03-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
The A 70-210/4 is a solid, well built, optically quite good telephoto zoom, well worth owning. And, at the modest prices they sometimes go for nowadays, it's a "best buy" in my mind, and a sweet lens for use on a body such as a Super Program.
Thanks guys, that's good to know. The bidding went a little higher than I expected, but I ended up getting it for $78. Looking forward to giving it a workout.