Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

does any pentax film camera meter in 1/3 stops?

NT....

10char.

03-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought I noticed you could do that with at least one of the 645Ns?

Got curious about them a couple of weeks ago, thought I saw something to that effect, but not sure.
03-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
NT....

10char.
Not following... The LX can apply exposure compensation in 1/6 stops.... as I believe others can as well..
03-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
EDIT: i think i should have said shutter speed steps rather than "metering"

============================

my super program can only shoot in full stops, so depending on what the meter was thinking, i can be up to a stop off. The savign grace of film is its DR

with 1/2 stop, the most i can be off is 1/2, so naturally 1/3 is better..

03-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

my super program can only shoot in full stops, so depending on what the meter was thinking, i can be up to a stop off. The savign grace of film is its DR

Don't think that's quite right. The display is only in whole numbers but you have 2 aperature/speed steps before going to a different whole number. I know for slides I'd tweak the iso (that's in 1/3 stops so to speak). It's been sooo long since I used mine I really should sit down with it again......
03-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
Ole
Administrator

I always thought that the shutter is stepless in P and Av mode. I thought that had been he case since the Spotmatic ES. The LX is stepless, that's for sure. Do you have any evidence to the opposite regarding the Super Program?

The shutter speeds are rounded to full stop values when displayed, but that doesn't mean that the acual speed cannot be at an in-between value.
03-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
Inactive Account

My ZX-5n has exposure comp in 1/2 stops.

The specs in the manual under shutter say:
Auto 1/200-30sec(stepless)
Manual 1/200-2sec
Bulb

Does that mean in program and maybe aperture priority it uses the perfect shutter speed based on the meter reading and aperture, not a round up/down shutter speed?
Ryan
edit: I need to type faster, I missed 3 posts.

03-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
let me give you an example

i'm shooting ISO 400, and i want F4.0

lets say an external light meter is telling me that given these two variables, my shuter should be 1/80

my Super Program can only do either 60 or 125, best case it selects 60 and the image is slightly over, worst case it jumps to 125 and it will be under.

my MZ-S can do 60 or 90

my K20D can do the 1/80 in between

i know i'm just splicing hairs, but i was just curious
03-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

let me give you an example

i'm shooting ISO 400, and i want F4.0

lets say an external light meter is telling me that given these two variables, my shuter should be 1/80

my Super Program can only do either 60 or 125, best case it selects 60 and the image is slightly over, worst case it jumps to 125 and it will be under.

my MZ-S can do 60 or 90

my K20D can do the 1/80 in between

i know i'm just splicing hairs, but i was just curious
Actually, if you're shooting slide film a half-stop error is significant!

The display on your Super program can only indicate 60 or 125, but in aperture priority mode it will actually expose at 1/80 (in your scenario) . So no worries.
03-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The LX is stepless, that's for sure.
I was just going to say the same, the LX is completely stepless in Automatic mode. I think my K10D does 1/3 (or 1/2, depending on your settings) shutter time steps in Av mode.
03-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I was just going to say the same, the LX is completely stepless in Automatic mode. I think my K10D does 1/3 (or 1/2, depending on your settings) shutter time steps in Av mode.
QuoteOriginally posted by troyz Quote
Actually, if you're shooting slide film a half-stop error is significant!

The display on your Super program can only indicate 60 or 125, but in aperture priority mode it will actually expose at 1/80 (in your scenario) . So no worries.
intresting... so if it can do stepless... why not show it originally, or give me the ability to choose it?

seems like the hand-held meter guys shooting in manual are at a disadvantage?
03-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #12
Ole
Administrator

intresting... so if it can do stepless... why not show it originally, or give me the ability to choose it?

The ME has a stepless shutter as per the information in an old brochure. The Super program is a further development of the ME so it probably has a stepless shutter as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ole; 03-14-2009 at 10:04 AM.
03-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #13
Pentaxian

That's merely a human interface problem, isn't it? (The shutter speed dial of the LX already is pretty "stuffed" with shutter time settings as it is)
03-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Aye, the ME series are stepless, as are most electronic-shutter cameras of that era.

It's actually easier to make a stepless electronic shutter than a non-stepless one (the meter's diode can infinitely varies its resistance, and the shutter speed is directly related to the voltage the meter puts out. However, you'd have to jam a lot more circuitry in there to get it to round to the nearest stop.)

But since the question is "Do they meter in 1/3 stops?", the answer is no, at least for the ME series. Because if you've got your lens set to the click stop between, say, f4 and f5.6, the meter does round to the nearest click stop. So it meters as if you're still at f4 or gone all the way up to f5.6 (don't know which direction it rounds to).

Of course, though, the shutter speed in AE mode will be correctly, precisely set to what it should be for the light in the photo (ie, 1/119, not 1/125).
03-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #15
Inactive Account

All of my lenses are 1/2 stop clicks between 2.8 and 11 or 16. So you can at least adjust in 1/2 stops using manual mode and a meter.
Ryan