Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax ZX-L won't take picture pointed up?

Today I did some shooting for my class. I've used the ZX-L for a while now and never had this problem before. For some reason today when I pointed the camera upward directly at the sky, it would not allow me to take a picture.

I though that it was because there was nothing to focus on so I moved to a spot where there was a lamp post. I tried it again, pointing all the way up, it still won't focus.

The lens that I am using is the Zenitar 16mm fisheye lens. I have no tried it with any other lens yet. But the camera works fine with the Zenitar in all the other shots.

Is there something that I am doing wrong?

03-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

did you try in manual focus? i.e. set the camera to manual focus mode. with manual focus lenses on AF mode, the camera works on catch focus
03-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
did you try in manual focus? i.e. set the camera to manual focus mode. with manual focus lenses on AF mode, the camera works on catch focus
Thanks that worked.
I wonder why it wasn't able to take the picture when I pointed up when it was on AF? You said that it needed to catch something to focus on, I did point at something, a lamp post but it still wouldn't fire.

Today I tried it again but with it on manual and it fired.
03-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i think none of the film bodies until the *ist has cross sensor points. so sometimes if you focus on a vertical line, it won't be able to pick it up. if you're having trouble getting a lock on vertical lines, tilt the camera at a 45 degree angle and it should be able to lock.

stick to the center point focus too, that way you always know what it is trying to focus on.