Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #1

Newbie with ZX-5 issue..help anyone ?

I have a ZX-5 that I bought last year on craigslist, loaded film into it, shot 2 rolls and put the camera away. Finally got around to getting the film developed, and the pictures are GREAT !...Except for one thing...every picture has the top 1/3 and the bottom 1/3 blacked out.

Somebody in another forum suggested that the light seals were bad, but I kind of do not agree with that analogy...the part of the pictures that are not obscured are excellent quality.

Anyone come across this sort of thing ?

Expensive repair ?

Can I even get parts to repair it ???

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

03-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does that model have a panorama setting? What you describe is exactly what the panorama setting would do, mask the negative to panorama format.
03-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

I just checked the manual. The camera does have a panorama setting, engaged with a small lever next to the view finder.
03-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #4

Original Poster
There does not seem to be a panorama setting. I have all the setting in the "auto" mode to try and get a baseline for my limited skills. The blacked out area's are just a little skewed from being horizontal...I'd say by about 10 degrees.. I had also switched lenses throughout the 2 rolls of film.

The pictures are not proportional to panorama, ie: a human body shot shows just that, the head and legs are cut off...LOL

03-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for pointing that out...yes it does have that feature, and it is set in the normal position, not on the "p".
03-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
Ole
Administrator

The panorama switch is on the back of the camera, to the right of the viewfinder. What you describe sounds as if the panorama blinds are askew.

Perhaps the switch doesn't work and the blinds are always engaged? It should be easy to see with the lens off, or the back open (I don't know on which side of the shutter the blinds are located).
03-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks so much for your input Ole, I think that could be the culprit.

Can I fix it though ?
03-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #8

Original Poster
One other question, if I put the panorama selector in th "P" position, will the pictures only show up on 1/3 of the print ?

03-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by ryderhard Quote
Thanks so much for your input Ole, I think that could be the culprit.

Can I fix it though ?
I don't know if it is something you can fix it yourself. A repair shop could fix it, I'd assume.

Several on this forum, my self included, use Eric - he does an excellent job:

Home
03-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
Ole
Administrator

One other question, if I put the panorama selector in th "P" position, will the pictures only show up on 1/3 of the print ?
It depends on the photofinisher how they do this. I have had panorama shots done only once, they came back in a format like 4 by 10 inches or so (I don't remember the ratio) rather than the usual 4 by 6.
03-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
Well I just took the lens off, and cycled the panorama selector a few times...it seemed to be sticky, and you can see the shields moving up and down in the mirrors. I bumped the selector 6 or so times and now it seems to be smooth !!!

YOU DA MAN OLE !!!!!!!!!
03-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
Ole
Administrator

Happy to hear that it worked out!
03-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #13
Ole
Administrator

What you just wrote prompted this thought:
There must be two sets of shields, one set in front of the ground glass (that's what you see in the mirror), and one set in front of the shutter (that's what masks the picture). If the shutter can be fired in the 'B' setting or long exposure setting with the back open and no film you shout be able to see the latter set of shields. Or you can gently lift the mirror up and take a look.
03-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #14

Original Poster
Well I think I have it sorted out. The camera has film in it now, so I really do not want to open it up.

I hope that using the auto settings tonight will give me some good shots of the Space Shuttle launch tonight. I'll be using a Promaster 70-300 lens, and 400 film.

Fingers are crossed...
03-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #15
Pentaxian

That was the idea, and for a while they did it like a Panorama and you got 4x10 pictures which were pretty cool.
Then it was abandoned and now you get the pictures with ugly black lines.