Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #1

I could REALLY use some direction here....

I own a k10d..love it. But want to start doing film as well. I miss it, badly. I took about a year and a half of photography in HS ( '92) and have developed B&W and feel comfortable doing it myself at home. What i need help on is:

1) I have no idea about any of the pentax film cameras
2) what kind of film would be best for say, NYC street shooting in B&W?
3) What is slide film ( chrome??) and can I use it for the above situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

03-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lodi781 Quote
I own a k10d..love it. But want to start doing film as well. I miss it, badly. I took about a year and a half of photography in HS ( '92) and have developed B&W and feel comfortable doing it myself at home. What i need help on is:

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

1. what do you want to know about pentax film cameras? what kind of camera are you looking to purchase? a manual body? a modern AF body?
  2. well personally for true B&W you certainly can't go wrong with Tri-X. its a staple of street photography and the film used by my idol, Garry Winogrand. (among many others) of course Ilford is also an excellent choice. Ilford has more options concerning ASA with B&W Welcome to ILFORD PHOTO you certainly cant go wrong with HP5 Plus. but in general the film you choose concerning B&W wont make a huge impact, development on yourpart will. of course this doesnt include C-41 process 'B&W'. I would in the end recommend Ilford, as the film, chemicals and paper is all usually readily available at any proper photography store.
  3. slidefilm is a colour reversal film that produces a positive image on a transparent base unlike colour negative film (print film) that produces a negative image that has to be reversed for printing. confusing huh? I don't know if there are many slide films still available, much less where you could get them processed for transparencies. although colour film isnt often used for street photography, I dont see any reason why you couldnt. are youlooking to creat a slideshow or is this a question about longevity in terms of archival storage?
03-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Take a look at this ongoing thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/54394-buying-f...-pointers.html

Tri-X is popular because it has great exposure latitude for off-the hip shooting. You can't go wrong with any of the older b&w stocks from Kodak and Ilford though. I also recommend Rollei Retro if you can find it. It's available in two speeds, 100 and 400 ASA. For extra convenience, Ilford XP2 is a 400ASA film that can be developed in conventional colour lab chemistry. I find it gives great results, although it's not a purist's b&w film. Kodak have a similar product.

Slide film is also called transparency or reversal film. It produces small, beautiful, gem-like images. It has a lot less exposure latitude than print film, so not for street shooting unless you're confident. The quality is fantastic - unsurpassable, but development (mostly so-called E6 process) can be expensive. Pro-quality slide films include Fuji Velvia and Provia, but cheaper Sensia is very good and great value.
03-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
I'm looking for a manual camera. I used one in high school, and remember getting my K10d and thinking.." jeez, all this tech stuff made a fun hobbie harder" Would auto focus be nice?? Sure, but not a deal killer. Just a plain old manual camera. I would like to use slide film in it. I was doing some research for a friends kid who wants to be a Nat. Geo. photog, and she asked what she had to do. I did some research and found that they want slide film submissions only, so I got curious and thought i'd try it out...I still want to use film independant of the slide film thing, I just thought i'd give it a shot...

03-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #5

Go for a K or M series camera, or (if you're feeling adventurous) a Spotmatic. The K1000, KX, KM (the original one), and MX are all fantastic metal, manual, mechanical bodies that need batteries only for the meter. They differ primarily by the bells and whistles that they offer, from none (K1000) to most (KM) to all (KX and MX). The MX is significantly smaller than the other bodies. All take K mount lenses, but you can't use lenses that don't have aperture rings on them. For a bit more in the convenience department, the ME Super offers aperture priority and manual in an extremely compact body. The similar and slightly later Super Program offers manual, aperture priority, shutter priority, and full program operation, and you can use lenses without an aperture ring on it (but only in shutter priority and program modes).

The Spotmatics are classic gems from the '60s and the first half of hte '70s. They take the amazingly good screwmount Takumar lenses, and (except for the Spotmatic F, the ES and the ES II when used with SMC or S-M-C Takumars) use stop-down metering. That means that the lens stops down to the taking aperture to meter, just like using a K or M lens on a DSLR. But it also means you see the depth of field for each shot.

Just be sure to get your camera serviced after you get it, by Eric at Home. His work is truly first-rate, and will make your camera work like new.
03-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter

K1000 Is hard to beat

If you really want manual, the K1000 is the basic Pentax K mount film camera. Any full-frame lenses you get for your K10D can be used on the K1000 as well as long as they have an aperture ring.

There is also another Pentax manual that has a few more features like aperture preview but I forget which. Maybe the KX?
03-16-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lodi, I've lately become a Spotty (Spotmatic) guy, because I'm older (52) and want to relive my youth. (3 bodies with 2 more on the way.)

You can buy basically MINT/excellent bodies off eBay for 40, 50 bucks, TOPS. They take M42 screw mounts, unlike the K1000 "bayonet." Great M42 lenses are also available for the Spotties for peanuts, but if you come across a deal on a K1000, they sell a simple adapter to take M42 lenses--20 bucks.

You're going to find a lot more reasonably priced Spotmatics on eBay than K1000s. Don't ask me why, but that's the way it is. K1000s also take modern batteries for metering, whereas the older Spotties can use modern batteries with some modification, stuff you can do yourself with aluminum foil.

These are totally manual cameras, built like tanks, and to me, that's where the fun is.

Ka-klunk every time you hit the shutter is a BEAUTIFUL sound!

Also, you can still get Kodak Kodachrome Reversal/Slide film (yeah, like the song), but you have to send away for processing. That's always been my slide film of choice for people/skin tones/etc.
03-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
Out of the four lenses i own, only 2 work..d-fa 100mm macro, and the FA 50mm. The 50 mm is one of my favorite lenses, at least the two primes will work with the film bodies..and for what i'm useing the camera for, maybe one more prime would be good..

03-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lodi, I bought a 100mm 2.8 Super Tak for 35 bucks yesterday off eBay, from a seller who happens to live in my neighborhood, so we rendezvous at Burger King for the purchase as opposed to shipping.

It's FUN finding and buying the M42 lenses, and there are still a ton around for cheap.