Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K1000 first time film user - tips?

So i got my K200D a couple of days after new years. and i have also "borrowed" dads kit (K1000 and M 50 1:2) so ive decided why not have a go at some film.

just bought a new battery for the K1000, and some cheap fuji 400 speed colour film.

any tips for a first time film shooter?

i believe the light meter works just by setting the shutter speed, then turning the aperture ring until its centered? is that correct?

what about long exposures? was thinking of trying some star trails with film. where would i find a cable release with the lock? and....what speed film should i use for that?

Last edited by jezza323; 03-18-2009 at 12:28 AM.
03-18-2009, 03:51 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can also set your aperture, and change your shutter speed to set. Don't forget to set the camera's meter to the right film speed.

If you set the shutter speed to B, and use a cable release, your good to go. Most releases have a small screwy thingy which keeps it engaged.

Really long exposures are tough and create major problems with color, but what the hell. It's fun. It's called reciprocity failure, where the film is only designed for a maximum exposure length and then colors shift.
03-18-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
what about long exposures? was thinking of trying some star trails with film. where would i find a cable release with the lock? and....what speed film should i use for that?
I think I'm right here: use the slowest film you can get your hands on to minimize grain.
03-18-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
long exposures, the fuji 400 should be good enough
just remeber to have a good tripod and a "scrw-on" cable release

03-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
i believe the light meter works just by setting the shutter speed, then turning the aperture ring until its centered? is that correct?
Or the other way around, if you want to shoot with a certain aperture and don't care about the shutter speed.

The K1000 and KM have full-frame average metering so if the shot has a wide range of light levels like this one you might need to compensate in order to get good exposure for the most important part of the scene.

Brad