Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question about Pentax KM

I found a KM on Craigs list locally with a SMC K 55mm F1.8, and a Vivitar 252 Auto flash for $30. Supposedly the camera is in "good" shape, and has a leather case. Wondering if the KM would be worth that in good shape? And if anyone has one, maybe give me a lil' info about it. A K1000 with a few more features?

03-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Easily worth that in good shape, possibly worth that even in not-so-good shape.
03-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #3

See

KM

Basically it's a K1000 except with self-timer and DOF. Pentax has manuals online, you can find the KM at

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/KM.pdf
03-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #4

That is what I call a steal, and the kind of find that the fountain pen community calls a sumgai. Basically, you want to get your hands on it AS FAST AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN.

The KM, by the way, seems to be the rarest of the K series. And that 55/1.8 is a true gem... one of the best lenses that Pentax ever made.

03-18-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The KM is like Spotmatic with K Mount
a great camera, at a perfect price!

Better quality manual at kim coxon's site
PENTAX MANUALS
03-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
Basically, you want to get your hands on it AS FAST AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN.

The KM, by the way, seems to be the rarest of the K series. And that 55/1.8 is a true gem... one of the best lenses that Pentax ever made.
I second all of that. Just got a 55mm f1.8, cost me $50 and I was watching ebay for a couple of months.

Grab that camera fast if you don't already have it. If I hadn't just gotten my lens, I'd be cruising Craigslist & trying to snap it up before you got it!
03-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Forum Member

I jumped on a similar sale for $31 although mine only included the KM and K55/1.8. As it turned out the light meter on the body I purchased did not function so I sold the body for $25 to a local camera repairman (who refurbishes Pentax SLRs for students and was planning to use the body for a donor).

That left me with a very special K55/1.8 for $6!

As others have suggested, jump on the offer.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
I found a KM on Craigs list locally with a SMC K 55mm F1.8, and a Vivitar 252 Auto flash for $30. Supposedly the camera is in "good" shape, and has a leather case. Wondering if the KM would be worth that in good shape? And if anyone has one, maybe give me a lil' info about it. A K1000 with a few more features?
03-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #8

That is what I call a steal, and the kind of find that the fountain pen community calls a sumgai. Basically, you want to get your hands on it AS FAST AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN.

Hmm, been a long time since I was over at FPN or pentrace. I have not seen that term used in any other forum.

03-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Strat, Jump on it. Join us over here and have some fun...If you decide to pass on it, I am sure one of us will take it.
03-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Stratman: The 55/1.8 in Exc optical and Good cosmetic condition is worth $50 - $65. The Everready case is generally a $15-$25 item in good, uncracked condition. The KM should be $50 as a beater and up to $100 in spotless condition. I've had a KX for 30+ years (on its second CLA) and it still makes great photos. The Vivitar flash would just be fun - I'd get a 285HV for $30 on ebay.

I also have a Spotmatic F w/ SMC Tak 55/1.8, (a very sharp and color-rich lens, same as the K version) which is essentially the same camera - 7 grams heavier and 4 mm thinner. The manual stop down metering switch (for non-coupled lenses) was moved to the right side of the body and renamed the DoF preview lever.

Just be aware that the meter is on and draining the battery whenever the lens cap is removed - a good reason to keep Spotties and K's in the (frustrating) cases.

At that price you should immediately send it to Eric at Pentax Camera Service for a CLA. You'll still be ahead of the game financially, and you'l have 20 years of service in the KM.

P.S. - if you don't want it, get it and I'll buy it. I'd like to have all three K bodies, just for grins.
03-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Go for it man, I decided to let it go for someone else, I should have responded sooner, not sure if it is still for sale though...
03-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #12

Old style metering

I have a KM and a K2 along with a spotmatic, F, and ESII. The think I like about the K1000 and the KM is that the metering display is the same as the screw mount camers. The KX and K2 later models all have a different metering display: match the needles, match the needle and the circle. They just don't seem the same. My two cents.

Vern