Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which is better? K1000 or ME Super?
K1000 822.22%
ME Super 2877.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2009, 06:29 AM   #16
Inactive Account

I was torn between similar choices when I bought my film camera: a slighty larger, full manual K1000 or a slightly smaller, WITH Av mode, ME Super. I chose for the latter, given that I liked the Av mode on it for when I want to take some faster snaps, and the smaller size. Price-wise they were almost the same, the ME Super being slightly cheaper. I absolutely love the camera ever since, as well in Av mode as manual mode. Maybe also because I got a M 50/1.4 thrown in Great lens.

I have been told that the shutter buttons on the ME Super are prone to wear – since they're buttons and not a sturdy turn dial. However I only set manual shutter speeds with this camera about one time out of five. So I haven't experienced any problems with that so far.

On the other hand a girl I know has a K1000, and the batteries keep running flat because she keeps losing her lens cap... The K1000, like the ME Super, only uses it's batteries for metering, but unlike the ME Super, it only stops metering when there is no light coming through the lens – in other words when you put the lens cap on.

03-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
The K1000SE is nice with the brown leather as well...
I have a K1000SE (with erratic meter) in black leather
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I do not love the brown leather on the K1000 SE. The one I had once quickly left my hands, admittedly with other issues as well.
Personally...I LOVE the brown. My ME-S has some peeling leather...I'm thinking "Indian Red" from cameraleather.com for that one and a medium brown for the MX Different strokes for different folks...
QuoteOriginally posted by alex.r Quote
On the other hand a girl I know has a K1000, and the batteries keep running flat because she keeps losing her lens cap... The K1000, like the ME Super, only uses it's batteries for metering, but unlike the ME Super, it only stops metering when there is no light coming through the lens – in other words when you put the lens cap on.
That's another reason why I don't like the K1000...and there's no shutter lock.

My friend's wife was teaching a photography unit and I went through all her cameras to replace batteries, match lenses to cams, etc. The next day I suddenly remembered to tell her...the K series Pentax cameras need lens caps! Tell the students they need to put on the cap when not in use!
03-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both, and it seems the ME Super is better in almost every way. Weight, speed range, sync speed, shutter noise, Av mode, self timer, winder support, battery life without capping the lens, and I'm probably missing a few other things as well.

The K1000 wins only one category, but it's the decisive one: I like it better. Checklist be damned. I use it more than the ME Super. I put my eye to the simple viewfinder -- devoid of numbers and LEDs -- and am immediately relaxed and receptive. Many more of the pictures that I treasure came from it. Hence my vote.
03-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It should also be noted that the K1000 makes a little bit better defense weapon...Just saying

03-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
It should also be noted that the K1000 makes a little bit better defense weapon...Just saying
depends on which version you have.
03-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Like them both, have them both. K1000 has the nostalgia factor for me, but the ME Super sees more use these days.