Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2009, 06:19 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thoughts on the MV1 Camera.

A friend gave me his old MV1 Pentax camera. I haven't had a chance to run any film through it yet. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this camera?

Thanks
Jim

03-19-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
A friend gave me his old MV1 Pentax camera. I haven't had a chance to run any film through it yet. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this camera?

Thanks
Jim
Not directly, but AFAIR the MV1 is quite similar to the original ME, i.e. it has aperture-priority automatic exposure only (and not the manual exposure setting of the ME Super). So, it should be very easy to use: Check the battery, load film, set ISO with the left dial, set the right dial to auto, choose aperture, manual focus and go :-)
03-19-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter

My first Pentax was an MV and it turned out to be a gateway drug.

It's compact and if you don't mind letting the camera choose the shutter speed it's a good model to just carry along for those shots that just come up.

If I could change 1 thing about the MV/MV1 it would be to replace the yellow-green-red shutter speed indicator with a numeric scale for situations when a longer lens might be used.

Brad
03-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brad_Olson Quote
If I could change 1 thing about the MV/MV1 it would be to replace the yellow-green-red shutter speed indicator with a numeric scale for situations when a longer lens might be used.

Brad
Ah, I thought they changed that back to shutter speed display in the MV1, but that didn't happen until the MG, according to Pentax MG - Camerapedia.org . Another thing I didn't know was that he MG had a better viewfinder than the MV/MV1, but still not quite as good as the original ME.

03-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Banned

In 1977, Pentax introduced two compact 35mm SLRs, the MX and the ME, after the Olympus OM-1 presented in 1972 had introduced a new trend for compactness in SLR cameras.

The Pentax ME was succeeded in 1979 by the more advanced ME Super and the simpler Pentax MV. The MV was in turn followed in 1980 by a less basic version, the Pentax MV1. The differences with the MV were the following:

* winder attachment for the ME I winder (1.5i/s) or ME II winder (2i/s)
* self-timer present
* memo holder on the back
* data back attachment for the Dial Data ME
* ASA range from 32 to 1600
(From Camarapedia)

Last edited by Pumalite; 03-20-2009 at 03:25 AM.
03-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the replies. I was just playing with it without any film in it and I really like the focus screen on it. That should help with my bad eye sight.

Thanks again
Jim