Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #16
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Séamuis: Look closer - "the automatic feature no longer works (most likely dried out)"

Heh. Dried out. That's a corker. Nope. Electronic gave out. Nothing surprising there

Second one: "Due to ... faulty auto-exposure the camera is sold as-is"

Third one: "PLEASE NOTE THAT CAMERA HAS NOT BEEN TESTED eg LIGHT METER,AUTO AND MANUAL SHUTTER SPEEDS ETC SO IT IS TO BE SOLD AS IS UNTESTED WITH NO RETURNS"

People will buy anything. I almost guarantee you that the auto does not work on that camera.

It really is rare to find electro spotamatics that are working.

woof!
I over looked that bit on the first one while drooling over the photos. however if I had the money I would likely have purchased anyway, if for no other reason that to add to the 'collection'. as you say, it is rare to find an electro-spotmatic with working auto feature so I think that price for an otherwise pristine example is pretty good. if one really wanted to have a working example, I wonder if you could transplant the electronics from an ES? seems like a neat project if one had the money. it wouldnt be 'pure' but it would work no?

03-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I will try to post another pic of the cameras. The ES11 came with a Super Multi Coated 20mm f4.5 which is another item that is hard to value. I would sell the cameras and the lens but a I'm still unsure of the value. I don,t really need them as I have a Sony and a A/F 20mm F2.8 and I'm not a "collector"
03-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by senator Quote
I will try to post another pic of the cameras. The ES11 came with a Super Multi Coated 20mm f4.5 which is another item that is hard to value. I would sell the cameras and the lens but a I'm still unsure of the value. I don,t really need them as I have a Sony and a A/F 20mm F2.8 and I'm not a "collector"
Here's one: Pentax Super-Takumar 20mm f4.5 & Case EUC

I know this is Super Takumar, not SMC, but it gets you in the ballpark.
03-24-2009, 01:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Again, any search would need to be on "ESII" (not "ES2" or "ES11"). The net can be persnickety about stuff like that.

03-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #20
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

I own both these cameras and would be gratefull for any info on value and rarity. I believe the Electro Spotmatic was Japan domestic market and sold as the E.S in other markets. Both are in excellant cosmetic condition Any info much appreciated. Alan
The Electro Spotmatic name is a bit ambiguous. The first Electro Spotmatics (1971) were Japanese-market-only models that proved to be unreliable. However, they were replaced with the ES ~and~ an apparently identical-to-the-ES run of Electro Spotmatics, sold in and outside of Japan (1971-1973). The original Electro Spotmatics had SN's starting with 3 or 4, while the "upgraded" Electro Spotmatics had SN's starting with 5 (while the ES's has SN's starting with 6). Eventually, of course, the ES II came along...

The Electro Spotmatic (both original and "upgraded") and the ES were available in black only, while the ES II came in silver as well as black.
03-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #21
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Wow - I couldn't believe the price on the one (used) copy available through Amazon.com (from one of their sellers) - $446.22 !!!

I found a handful of other copies online, too - one was a new ("absolut neuwertig") copy for $276.81, while the other ones were used copies for $297.70, $675.27, $1,119.01, and $1,123.20 !!!

Wow !!!
03-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
"They must be made of 'GOLD!!. I think I might melt it down' "lol"
12-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #23

Hi guys, thanks for posting about this camera. I own a black Electro Spotmatic in working order. I bought it around '96 from a pawn shop for $200. It came with a set of lenses in leather cases, the camera, a carrying bag, and a few other small items.

The automatic shutter and in-lens metering still work, but I've never had any luck getting a flash to fire off.

I shot with it as recently as a couple years ago, but have been doing more digital photography since then. The film sometimes doesn't pull properly (human error?) so I end up with an orange stripe down the side, or double-exposures. Most of the time, it takes nice warm photos.

Mine is black, but it's been shown a lot of love and the brass is showing through so much that there's not a lot of black paint left on the upper body! If you want, I could photograph the camera and post for you.

Nice to hear other people are fans. Thanks so much for posting information about the camera. Have a great day, all!

12-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Pixel8 Quote
Hi guys, thanks for posting about this camera. I own a black Electro Spotmatic in working order. I bought it around '96 from a pawn shop for $200. It came with a set of lenses in leather cases, the camera, a carrying bag, and a few other small items.

The automatic shutter and in-lens metering still work, but I've never had any luck getting a flash to fire off.

I shot with it as recently as a couple years ago, but have been doing more digital photography since then. The film sometimes doesn't pull properly (human error?) so I end up with an orange stripe down the side, or double-exposures. Most of the time, it takes nice warm photos.

Mine is black, but it's been shown a lot of love and the brass is showing through so much that there's not a lot of black paint left on the upper body! If you want, I could photograph the camera and post for you.

Nice to hear other people are fans. Thanks so much for posting information about the camera. Have a great day, all!
you should send it to Eric Hendrickson. he will get your electro back to full working order. and please do post some photos!
12-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
The Electro Spotmatic name is a bit ambiguous. The first Electro Spotmatics (1971) were Japanese-market-only models that proved to be unreliable. However, they were replaced with the ES ~and~ an apparently identical-to-the-ES run of Electro Spotmatics, sold in and outside of Japan (1971-1973). The original Electro Spotmatics had SN's starting with 3 or 4, while the "upgraded" Electro Spotmatics had SN's starting with 5 (while the ES's has SN's starting with 6). Eventually, of course, the ES II came along...

The Electro Spotmatic (both original and "upgraded") and the ES were available in black only, while the ES II came in silver as well as black.
Since this thread got resurrected, I want to point out that there were ES made with chrome finish. I have one. However, chrome ES and ES II bodies are less common than black Spot F bodies.
12-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find my ESII dines rather too heartily on batteries so I've resorted to a lightmeter rather than a second mortgage when using it. Having said that someone once told me that the camera batteries were a different spec to the usual hearing aid type and should last longer, is this so?

Justin.
12-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #27

Photos: Albums
The key word here is "Electro". If this word is on the top cover of the camera then it is Japan's proto type (spelling?). It was the first series only sold in Japan. It doesn't have a plug-in main board, it is wired in and a nightmare to repair. Actually, Pentax upgraded for a cost of course (as I remember) for a new "ES". It's been awhile and my menory is fading but this is how I remember it. It is an original unit and I can't even repair them. Then after the ES came the ESII
12-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EricTn Quote
The key word here is "Electro". If this word is on the top cover of the camera then it is Japan's proto type (spelling?). It was the first series only sold in Japan. It doesn't have a plug-in main board, it is wired in and a nightmare to repair. Actually, Pentax upgraded for a cost of course (as I remember) for a new "ES". It's been awhile and my menory is fading but this is how I remember it. It is an original unit and I can't even repair them. Then after the ES came the ESII
Eric, sometime this year I need to send my chrome ES to you. The mirror sticks on it sometimes. You did wonders on an ME F for me last summer.
12-31-2009, 06:28 AM   #29
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by EricTn Quote
thats an interesting bit of info, I certainly didn't know that.
12-31-2009, 08:54 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
thats an interesting bit of info, I certainly didn't know that.
The Electro bodies is why the ES bodies got a bad rap. Many don't realize the ES was "improved." However, I'd grab an Electro if I get a chance just for my collection even though my personal policy is to keep my collection to a small "working" collection.