Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some LX questions

I need the SC-21 focusing screen and can't find one in the usual places (KEH, B&H and E-Bay) -- any ideas on where to look?

Also, how hard is it to change the seals and mirror foam in an LX? I intend to do it on my ME Super, I was just wondering if the LX was any more complex.

By the way -- I finally scored an LX!!!

It is physically worn, but everything works and the speeds are fine. I refer to the appearance as the "Theft Resistant Finish". I may even rough up the leatherette a bit since it isn't shabby at all.

03-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
I refer to the appearance as the "Theft Resistant Finish".

Lovely phrased.
03-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Banned

I need the SC-21 focusing screen and can't find one in the usual places (KEH, B&H and E-Bay) -- any ideas on where to look?

Also, how hard is it to change the seals and mirror foam in an LX? I intend to do it on my ME Super, I was just wondering if the LX was any more complex.

It is physically worn, but everything works and the speeds are fine. I refer to the appearance as the "Theft Resistant Finish". I may even rough up the leatherette a bit since it isn't shabby at all.
although I have heard that the LX screens are a bit brighter, I know of people who have used MX screens instead, with no ill effects. (as well as using LX screens in the MX.) I would suggest to keep looking on the bay. both LX and MX screens come up quite often. LX more than MX but just FYI you should be able to use either. I have purchased two SC-1 screens NIB on the bay myself. what kind of screen do you have in your LX if its not split image?

Last edited by séamuis; 03-22-2009 at 09:55 AM.
03-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums

The seals most likely do not need replacement. They are not made of foam on the LX as they are on the ME Super. I had my LX taken care of by a repair shop and they only mirror damper. I can't tell you if this is a do it yourself job. I personally would not dare to do that myself in fear of scratching the mirror or screen.

I found the screen I wanted on the 'bay - I had a search going for about six months for an SC-21 and then it came up.

03-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My current screen resembles the SG-20 in the manual, but without the circle in the middle. In other words -- it's just a grid. Probably used for architecture???

6 MONTHS?!?!?! Good Lawwwwdddd!!!!!
03-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
Banned

My current screen resembles the SG-20 in the manual, but without the circle in the middle. In other words -- it's just a grid. Probably used for architecture???

6 MONTHS?!?!?! Good Lawwwwdddd!!!!!

an SG-60. I wouldn't use his time scale as typical. like I said I have purchased two MX SC-1's (same as LX SC-21) on ebay NIB. I have also seen a number of LX SC-21's. its a waiting game for sure, but you could get lucky (far luckier than 6 months.)
03-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Relax! I think I have your screen. It's in an SG-20 box, but it says C21 on the tab on the screen itself. It's the split-prism center with microprism collar version. Anyone able to confirm that the SC-21 is labeled C21 on the screen itself?
PM sent.
03-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Relax! I think I have your screen. It's in an SG-20 box, but it says C21 on the tab on the screen itself. It's the split-prism center with microprism collar version. Anyone able to confirm that the SC-21 is labeled C21 on the screen itself?
PM sent.

I cant 'confirm' but yes it should be labeled as such. and what you describe is in fact the SC-21

03-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, so now I would lik to put to rest the screen mystery -- is there an easy way to drop the screen down to read the tab without the originally-supplied tweezers?
03-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know, I know, I keep bumping my own thread , but I did get the screen out. I dropped it down using the end of a wooden skewer and used the tweezers from an Olympus OM2n screen to remove it. It is indeed the "G-20" screen -- I could not see the circular portion before the screen was removed.
03-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found a source for a screen (other than Ron) -- I decided to go ahead and send in my LX for a CLA (to get the whole sticky mirror thing off my mind) and while Eric has it, teh replacement screen is $20. Pretty painless as far as the screen goes.

Thanks for all of the tips and ideas guys!

Adam
03-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter

At that price the "make your own Katzeye" crowd should call Eric. I laid a K10D screen next to the LX screen and man that would be an oversized split image and microprism collar area. But looks like a couple hobby tools could do the "rip down."
03-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Not hard at all. I bought "The Finest Complete Camera Light Seal Foam Kit" from FleaBay and fixed up about a dozen camera bodies. I now have just enough for one more body and am about to buy another kit.

If you have question, any question related to camera restoration, send the seller an email. He is extremely responsive and helpful.

The most delicate job is probably to remove the old mirror bumper without spreading the yucky black stuff onto the focusing screen and onto the mirror. But with some care, that can be done.