Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Re Commisioned Spotmatics

My Spotmatics (II and F) have lain idle for a long time as I have been a Zoom 70 then a digital Olympus and Canon user for a number of years.
Anyway I stumbled across my old camera bag with my Spotmatic II and Spotmatic F bodies and 28/3.5, 55/1.8, 100 macro and 135/2.5 Takumar lenses, all bought by me new in the early 70's and absolutely unmarked (I had even taken the batteries out to avoid probs)
I had forgotten how good they all feel, so well made solid and smooth in use.
I am planning on putting them back in service, initially on our camera club model nights and carry out a direct comparison with my usual gear (Canon 40d with Canon100/2.8 Macro) - which I must say gives superb results.
Is it usual to have the film scanned (highest quality) by the processor so that they can be worked on on the computer? and how should I expect the results to compare with my normal gear?

03-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #2

More than likely the film processor won't give you great scans, and you'll have to ask for the scans and you'll end up paying more too (usually). Pro labs do better scan quality wise than your one hour photo joints.

Spotmatics are truly wonderful little cameras, some of the best ever made. If you really plan on using them more in the future, I'd suggest getting them cleaned, lubricated, and adjusted (CLAd). The CLA will guarantee at least twenty more years of trouble free service from them.

Oh, and you can use the extremely common SR44/LR44 in them to power the meter
03-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have been reading about the use of alternative batteries and shall be aquiring a couple for use in the spotties.