Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
ME Super mode dial

Quick question about the exposue mode dial on the ME Super: Is the dial only supposed to be unmovable when it is set to the "AUTO" position? Meaning, will it move freely from the other modes without having to push the white button?

I'm just wondering as the white button on mine only comes up when it is set to "AUTO" but stays down when it is on any of the other modes.

03-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

That's normal.......mine is the same. You would think they would have used the white button for all of the modes (but at their age it is probably a good thing...they tend to stick!)
03-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Correcto

It would be nice if it would at least lock in the L(ock) position!
03-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
PHEW!...I can sleep soundly tonight. Thanks for the quick replies

For some reason I forgot what it was supposed to do and all of a sudden I thought it was broken when it wouldn't lock in any of the other positions...one too many margaritas I guess.

03-23-2009, 03:26 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
...one too many margaritas I guess.
lol it took me some getting used to the locking system as well, but now I find it to come very much in handy. I've become quick at pressing and turning with just the tip of my finger.
03-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Pentax ergonomic design philosophy

I would prefer it to lock in other modes, but perhaps Pentax designed it this way
to allow camera to be quickly switched to normal shooting mode solely by feel,
much like the "blind button" on the lens barrel facilitates lens mounting by feel.

Chris
03-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
"blind button"
is that what the pearl is called?
03-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
much like the "blind button" on the lens barrel facilitates lens mounting by feel.

Chris
I always wondered what that little white dome was for. Thanks!

03-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #9

Yeah, it's one of the little things that Pentax thought of when making the K mount. Just line up the bump with the lens release button, and hey presto! the lens mounts.
03-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
Quick question about the exposue mode dial on the ME Super: Is the dial only supposed to be unmovable when it is set to the "AUTO" position? Meaning, will it move freely from the other modes without having to push the white button?

I'm just wondering as the white button on mine only comes up when it is set to "AUTO" but stays down when it is on any of the other modes.
I always disliked the little "AUTO" lock button - I once even had a couple ME Supers where I had used a ~small~ drop of "super glue" to permanently have the button pushed in on each, allowing me to go from mode to mode without having to also push in a button. (Yes, the modification was a risky procedure - <g>.)
03-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #11

The little release button on the program selector dial is kind of a weird feature, because it's totally useless where this dial is secure in any set position anyway. Makes the camera look more interesting, and maybe a little more difficult for a newbie, but it's nothing that stands out as high technology: however, when you have it with you on a date, it facilitates close discussion when you ask your girlfriend to,"...reset the program selector dial before taking a picture, please," which of course you have to show her how to do this. Pentax designers are genius!