Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 06:26 AM   #1

DA 40mm on full frame?

I am looking for a nice compact film set up to carry in my work bag everyday.

I have some nice compact Pentax film cameras such as the Super A and MZ-5n/ZX-5n.
I know I can get the M series 40mm pancake lens but after reading the reviews and seeing the (over inflated)? prices on eBay. I think it may be wise to stay away from this lens.

I was wondering if anyone has tried the DA-40 on a 35mm film camera.
Does the image circle cover the full frame?
If so is there a lot of light drop of on the corners of the frame?

I realise the limitations of the DA-40 having no aperture ring, but I would be using it wide open most of the time anyway and correct me if I'm wrong but it should function and meter correctly in program mode on the ZX-5n at any aperture shouldn't it?

Regards,
nikuyakun.

03-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't have one, but from what I've seen and read, yes, the DA-40 does cover the full 35mm film frame - it's essentially the same lens as the older mf ones. AFAIK.

The DA 70 also works full frame, btw.
03-24-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One issue without an aperture ring (someone please thump me if I'm wrong here) is that the lens stops down completely when fired -- it does not shoot wide open.

Just for giggles I took a shot last week with my kit 18-55 on my ME super at 18mm wide. Serious vignetting there, but I set the camera down on a table and pressed the shutter because it stopped down completely.
03-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
emr

DA lens on Full Frame

03-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #5

I have been using a DA 40mm on a Pentax 35mm film *ist for about eight months and would like to say that the combo has become my 35mm film camera of choice. Back eight months ago, Pentax's website even listed the lens as usable on full frame film cameras. I have been using this combo all winter on the ski slopes and used it all last fall to meter for my vintage twin lens reflexes. No problem with light fall off or filters. Since I only shoot chrome, E100Vs or Provia 400X, and can tell you that after louping these with a Mamiya 8X loupe and a Rodenstock 4X loupe, that this lens and camera are very sharp with great color. Since putting this lens and camera together, my point and shoot digitals have seen little use.
03-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
One issue without an aperture ring (someone please thump me if I'm wrong here) is that the lens stops down completely when fired -- it does not shoot wide open.

Just for giggles I took a shot last week with my kit 18-55 on my ME super at 18mm wide. Serious vignetting there, but I set the camera down on a table and pressed the shutter because it stopped down completely.
you're correct.

DA (and FA J) lenses work exactly like A lenses permanently stuck in A mode. so, on pre-A series cameras, you got lens always stopped completely down.

i've been using DA18-55 kit lens on my P5 camera, in P-depth mode, with no problems at all, as long as i keep above ~21mm.