Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax ME and M50 f1.4

Hey there,

I'm pretty stoked as I have just picked up a pretty nice condition ME and M50 f1.4.
I already own a ME Super that I inherited from my Uncle about 18 years ago. The ME Super was my only camera until I went digital and to canon about 5 years ago when I got a 20D.

The new ME is in really nice condition apart from the light seals which I'm hoping won't be that hard to replace. It still has the protective plastic on the base plate around the tripod mount. And it also came with the eveready ( I think thats what its called) case. Which is in fairly nice condition for leather thats over 20 years old. The one from my ME Super fell apart years ago.

The M50 is in nice condition but has some fungus which I'm hoping won't be to hard to remove. I've already cleaned my M50 f1.7 so I'm assuming they are pretty similar.

I'll post some photos in the next few days, just to show off my new toy.

It also came with a mint copy of the manual, which I've scanned this morning. (why are the one's on the pentax web site so crappy?) It'd be good to be able to post it up some where so others can get a copy. Any Ideas. I could just put it on Rapidshare or something simliar but I don't have an account so I think they delete your stuff after 90 days.

I have read a post here suggesting a manuals section but I'm not sure thats happened yet. The PDF is about 2.6 MB so if anyone wants a colour PDF of this let me know and I'll see about finding somewhere to put it.

Oh I got it for $48.50 (NZD) incl postage which I think it is pretty cheap as I've seen just the lens sell for well over $100 here in New Zealand on our local auction site Trademe.

Anyhow thats my little boast for the day.
Cheers
mike

03-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Banned

congratulations on the ME.
PENTAX MANUALS
03-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

rock on, the M50 1.4 is a good lens. i have a me super and the vf is ginormous compared to anything today.

butkus also has nice manual reproductions too
Pentax ME instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals
03-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
There you go, they are heaps better than the Pentax site ones.

03-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah the viewfinders are sweetly huge hey! Its funny I never really noticed how small the veiwfinder on the 20D is until I started playing around with my ME Super again recently.
03-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mikengstrom Quote
Yeah the viewfinders are sweetly huge hey! Its funny I never really noticed how small the veiwfinder on the 20D is until I started playing around with my ME Super again recently.

the MX's is larger.
03-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Congratulations on the "new" ME. They are fun little cameras. Here is a link for instructions to install new light seals. It's a pretty easy job.

Last edited by Fritz; 03-29-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: cant read. :P
03-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Can you buy the seals from anywhere. I just had a look at the instructions and it doesn't seem to say where to get them from?

03-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can get very nice color scans of almost every Pentax manual Here Pentax Manuals
03-26-2009, 03:15 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Congrats on your new (old) ME. I have a ME Super which also came with a M50/1.4, great great great combo
03-26-2009, 04:19 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are JonGoodmanś instructions and seals
Look one page before and there is his email address... or interslice @evilBay
great value for your buck!

QuoteOriginally posted by mikengstrom Quote
Can you buy the seals from anywhere. I just had a look at the instructions and it doesn't seem to say where to get them from?
03-26-2009, 05:49 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Those are JonGoodmanś instructions and seals
Look one page before and there is his email address... or interslice @evilBay
great value for your buck!
I second John Goodmans seal kit. best of the best, and a huge bargain considering how much you get.
03-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Yeah, sorry I didn't post Johns info. I bought my kit on e-bay from him. He is really nice to deal with and I recommend using his product.
03-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Some Photos of my new toys

Hi again.

Been playing around with a make shift setup at home a piece of cardboard and a desk lamp and here are some photos of my new camera and lens.

As you can see it looks as if this hasn't seen much use.

I've already had the front of the lens off and had a quick clean of the front element and the fungus came off pretty easily. The rest seems to be in the rear group so I'm hoping the screws on the back of the lens aren't to hard to unscrew.

I've always loved my M50 f1.7 and I think I'm really going to like this f1.4, apart from the fungus that I'll hopefully clean the f1.4 is in far better condition than my f1.7

Thanks for all the links and help with the manuals and light seals. I've been in touch with Jon and will get a seal kit from him in the next few weeks.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited by mikengstrom; 03-28-2009 at 06:39 PM.
03-29-2009, 12:21 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
M50 f1.4 all clean now

Hi,

So the M50 f1.4 is all clean now. It's looking real nice.

Took it out on my canon 20D for a try this afternoon. Via and kmount to EOS Adapter. Looks so out of place, such a tiny lens on a huge camera.

I've got a non focus confirm adaptor and am thinking that I may need to get an focus confirm adaptor. Its really hard to focus without it or a split screen.

I really envy you pentax DSLR users and your in body Image Stabalization.

heres a few photos. Gotta love that crazy shallow depth of field.

Cheers
mike

Last edited by mikengstrom; 03-29-2009 at 12:36 PM.