Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New to film photography

Hello,

I am now the happy owner of a MZ-5n that I just won on eBay and I am waiting to receive it. I just took the plunge because of my newly acquired set of FA Limited. I just has to see these lenses on a camera they were designed for.
I plan to shoot B&W and I will be looking to buy film , at first have the film develop and the negatives scanned. If everything goes well then I will develop the film myself (a friend of mine is going to teach me) and potentially will consider buying a film scanner - likely Plustek OpticFilm 7200i 35mm Film Scanner.
Any advice from you savvy bunch for a beginner?
I am thinking for the film to look for Kodax Tmax 100 or/and Ilford Delta 100. I am after good dynamic range, details, tonality and fine grain - in short everything
I have been told that Neopan 100 Acros had a kind of strange milky effect???

Cheers,

Luc

Last edited by lbenac; 03-29-2009 at 07:12 PM.
03-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #2

It looks like you're after slower films. Don't rule out traditional emulsions like Kodak Plus-X or Ilford FP4+. They're stunningly beautiful films with a very classic look. Grainier, yes, but sometime grain can be *very* pretty.
03-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

have fun, the FA Limiteds + MZ-5n is what turned me to film
03-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
It looks like you're after slower films. Don't rule out traditional emulsions like Kodak Plus-X or Ilford FP4+. They're stunningly beautiful films with a very classic look. Grainier, yes, but sometime grain can be *very* pretty.
I am fairly open.
At this point all my references are:
1) photos from my dad 40 years ago that in my memory have the quality of medium format for sure
2)DXO film pack that I use to convert digital images to B&W
Ilford FP4 Plus 125 Fine grain film, neutral rendering
Kodak Tmax 100 Ultra fine grain portrait and landscape film

Thanks for the tip.

Luc

03-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
have fun, the FA Limiteds + MZ-5n is what turned me to film

hello Simon,
Well luckily that will make two of us
Can I ask you where you have your film developed and scanned (in Canada I assume)?
I just had a look at your Zenfolio page with the TriX shots which look very good.

Cheers,

Luc
03-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Hello,

I am now the happy owner of a MZ-5n that I just won on eBay and I am waiting to receive it. I just took the plunge because of my newly acquired set of FA Limited. I just has to see these lenses on a camera they were designed for.
I plan to shoot B&W and I will be looking to buy film , at first have the film develop and the negatives scanned. If everything goes well then I will develop the film myself (a friend of mine is going to teach me) and potentially will consider buying a film scanner - likely Plustek OpticFilm 7200i 35mm Film Scanner.
Any advice from you savvy bunch for a beginner?
I am thinking for the film to look for Kodax Tmax 100 or/and Ilford Delta 100. I am after good dynamic range, details, tonality and fine grain - in short everything
I have been told that Neopan 100 Acros had a kind of strange milky effect???

Cheers,

Luc
Hi Luc,

Congrats on the film body purchase, I'm on the beginning stages as well. The films I've tried so far are Fuji Superia 200 and 400, just standard for now as I get use to the camera. I'll try the more dedicated/pro films as I go to see what each one does. PBase search can find specify films to give us an idea as well.

BTW, London Drugs has that PlusTek for $399, also they charge $4.50 for negative developing only in about 1 hour. That is the cheapest I've seen besides Kerrisdale cameras who charge $3.40 but, take a few days as they send it off to a third party.
03-29-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
Hi Luc,

Congrats on the film body purchase, I'm on the beginning stages as well. The films I've tried so far are Fuji Superia 200 and 400, just standard for now as I get use to the camera. I'll try the more dedicated/pro films as I go to see what each one does. PBase search can find specify films to give us an idea as well.

BTW, London Drugs has that PlusTek for $399, also they charge $4.50 for negative developing only in about 1 hour. That is the cheapest I've seen besides Kerrisdale cameras who charge $3.40 but, take a few days as they send it off to a third party.
If you look at TigerDirect.ca they list it on sale at $275
I think it might be better to go directly to ABC for B&W services.

Luc

03-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
Inactive Account

If you look at TigerDirect.ca they list it on sale at $275
I think it might be better to go directly to ABC for B&W services.

Luc
I think Kerrisdale and possibly London Drugs uses ABC for B&W developing. ABC are way down on 4th and Fir St, I'd pay more money in gas and time rather than just driving 5min to Kerrisdale in Burnaby ;-).

Costs for 24 exp.;

Kerrisdale for B&W $3.39 (1-2 day wait)
ABC for B&W $3.75

Last edited by ajuett; 03-30-2009 at 12:14 AM.
03-30-2009, 05:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Can I ask you where you have your film developed and scanned (in Canada I assume)?
I just had a look at your Zenfolio page with the TriX shots which look very good.
we're lucky in downtown toronto, we have quite a few labs, albeit of varying quality. i take mines to www.downtowncamera.com, they do things cleanly and are the only people who will provide a hi-res scan (3kx2k) at reasonable prices. although the tri-x shots are kinda blown out, their scanner's DR isn't that great, when i have the time i'm gonna rescan the good photos and recover all the highlights.
03-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
I think Kerrisdale and possibly London Drugs uses ABC for B&W developing. ABC are way down on 4th and Fir St, I'd pay more money in gas and time rather than just driving 5min to Kerrisdale in Burnaby ;-).

Costs for 24 exp.;

Kerrisdale for B&W $3.39 (1-2 day wait)
ABC for B&W $3.75
Good point. Kerrisdale North Van is probably the most convenient location for me as I never set foot around Metrotown on a week-end - too many people.
Can you get the scan done through them too?

Cheers,

Luc
03-30-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Good point. Kerrisdale North Van is probably the most convenient location for me as I never set foot around Metrotown on a week-end - too many people.
Can you get the scan done through them too?

Cheers,

Luc
Kerrisdale Burnaby is in Old Orchard Mall at Kingsway and Willingdon which is much closer than North Van, even for you . Their photo prices and services are here; http://kerrisdalecamera.com/store/uploads/Photo_Finishing_Price_display_w_kiosk.pdf
03-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
Inactive Account

First off congrats on your new purchase. Christmas is coming, for you

Second, I shoot all my B&W film with Kodak TMAX 400, very occasionally 100. Although I must tell you in advance I don't have nearly as much experience as many folks on here when it comes to various types of film - and photography in general, for that matter.
However I have always been very pleased with the outcome of my trusted TMAX 400, good detail, fine grain, great tonality range... Only my enlarging skills and equipment keep me from getting the most out of the film (I don't digitally scan my negatives)

However I would suggest to try some film out, perhaps from given suggestions on here. Pick a few that you think sound like they will fit your needs, and see which you prefer most.

And of course, enjoy your new analog PentaBuddy!