Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Shall we set a tentative date of May 1st to start the POM film thread?
Yes! I nominate Javi as our first "moderator." Anyone second the motion?

woof!

04-08-2009, 05:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

seconded, thirded, fourthed, etc :P
judging by the responses of the show your film pix thread, i'm sure it'll all work out
04-08-2009, 07:21 AM   #18
Inactive Account

I'm game
04-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Great!

So, to make things easier for our fearless leader Javier, I'll take a whack at the formal rules to be posted with each Monthly Photo. Suggest modifications please if you have any...

Rules as before:

1) No theme just your favorite stuff. (Moderator can choose a theme if they want);
2) Please keep it to 4-6 images per post so the thread doesn't get too big;
3) Any Pentax film camera is fine;
5) Enter anything you developed and scanned in the current date range; The photos do not have to have been taken in the timeframe... development/scanning are the key here.
4) Dates : [Month start] to - [Month end]

This will be the basic template... any suggestions?

woof!

04-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
So, to make things easier for our fearless leader Javier, I'll take a whack at the formal rules to be posted with each Monthly Photo. Suggest modifications please if you have any...

Rules as before:

1) No theme just your favorite stuff. (Moderator can choose a theme if they want);
2) Please keep it to 4-6 images per post so the thread doesn't get too big;
3) Any Pentax film camera is fine;
5) Enter anything you developed and scanned in the current date range; The photos do not have to have been taken in the timeframe... development/scanning are the key here.
4) Dates : [Month start] to - [Month end]

This will be the basic template... any suggestions?

woof!
I think only one submission per person, and run it 'a month behind'. Ie: Start "Picture of Month April 2009" on May 1st, so we can post a shot taken/scanned any time in April. That way people aren't wanting to replace or add more photos as they become available.

Of course, that depends on participation, if 10 or 15 people post during the entire month, it could be boring. But I don't think 4-6 per person or post is a good idea, it should provoke some deliberate self-editing to take stock of what we've shot at the end of the month, and post the best to the thread.

Also:

Maybe split it into B&W and Colour?
04-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

alternate one month b&w and one month colour?
and i agree, 4-6 pix a post may be a lot, maybe encourage the best photo of the month?
04-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think no more than two images. I like the idea of one black and white and one color. But it might be easier to limit it to two images.

04-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I think no more than two images. I like the idea of one black and white and one color. But it might be easier to limit it to two images.
One of each sounds good.

Now, is PP allowed, even to the point of making a color photo a B&W? Or are we showcasing exactly what the film captures (apart from maybe sharpening). Just curious to see what everyone else thinks.
04-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
One of each sounds good.

Now, is PP allowed, even to the point of making a color photo a B&W? Or are we showcasing exactly what the film captures (apart from maybe sharpening). Just curious to see what everyone else thinks.
Good question and I thought the same since I am currently shooting Tri-x. Personally I do not have a problem with PP work. I myself do very little if any because I make things worse, but many folks express themselves in their images. So I don't know...Maybe a before and after thread may be in order as well?
04-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #25
Inactive Account

I have no issue with PP either as the scanned image may not show exact tones/colors.

However, certain films can have a signature look to them (like Fuji Velvia for example). So if you used a different film and PPed to look like Velvia, then is that 'breaking rules' or just putting the finishing touches on your photo.

I certainly can't afford Velvia all the time but I do like the look in certain situations. Even though I haven't shot a roll of it, yet.
04-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So generally PP allowed. however, I think that the person needs to explain PP steps taken. That should actually stimulate some good discussion. If you ARE a purist, please simply post without PP and let us know that this is what you did. I think that deserves a lot of respect too and should be revealed.

As for the difference between developed and taken/scanned in April, I take it that we are saying that a photo is fair game if taken OR developed/scanned in April. So I can post my picture from 1972 that I just developed (that's not so far from the truth... I did do that in the last year) and I can post the picture that was actually taken in April even if it is developed in May.

We start the month of April in May? This is really for the people who have not yet developed their April film... they take it in April and develop in May.

Agreed so far? If we can't agree, someone will have to be the tie breaker... we have taken it to a certain point. Javi is the tie breaker and will post final rules as determined by him or popular vote. Thanks. I just WORK here!

Seaain
04-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Absolutely, I agree with you on the PP steps woof. As for the photos taken in April and shown in May, again, that makes sense as well.

Just a simple template to go by, have I missed anything?

Location of photo(s) taken
Pentax Body type
Lens(es) used
Film brand and speed
Camera/Lens settings (if recorded)
PP steps

-
04-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
Absolutely, I agree with you on the PP steps woof. As for the photos taken in April and shown in May, again, that makes sense as well.

Just a simple template to go by, have I missed anything?

Location of photo(s) taken
Pentax Body type
Lens(es) used
Film brand and speed
Camera/Lens settings (if recorded)
PP steps

-
This sounds good to me. We still need to come up with a picture limit. I think two would be good. Either black and white or color. I also think we should have a size limit. I usually post 700pix wide, but perhaps a 1000Pix wide limit would be good. Thoughts?
04-10-2009, 05:53 AM   #29
Veteran Member

How do we adjust our size limit? I thought it was set by the forum?

Re: PP, does it matter? The final image is the thing.
04-10-2009, 07:33 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
How do we adjust our size limit? I thought it was set by the forum?
If you use an outside hosting company like image shack or photobucket to name a couple, you can post up larger images. The larger images simply look better to me atleast.

QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
Re: PP, does it matter? The final image is the thing.
Like was said earlier, I does not matter, just let us know the steps.